Reload this Page >

Newbie moving to Toronto and looking for info and inspiration

Newbie moving to Toronto and looking for info and inspiration

Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

IrishMel is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbie moving to Toronto and looking for info and inspiration

Hi

Just found this forum and joined up immediately.

Hubby and I looking to move to Toronto this summer (2 year job posting) possibly with one teenage son in tow.

Just wanted to make contact with people who have obviously through all the pitfalls and can hopefully offer some useful advice and info. for us newbies!

First question what are your views on Toronto and where to live (surrounding area)?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Looking for info and inspiration

Originally Posted by IrishMel
Hi

Just found this forum and joined up immediately.

Hubby and I looking to move to Toronto this summer (2 year job posting) possibly with one teenage son in tow.

Just wanted to make contact with people who have obviously through all the pitfalls and can hopefully offer some useful advice and info. for us newbies!

First question what are your views on Toronto and where to live (surrounding area)?
Hi there and welcome to BE.

I love Toronto...my daughter has lived there for the last 8 years. She lives downtown and loves being near to all the city has to offer. I don't know how old your son is but if he intends to attend uni in the UK...he will be required to be a resident of the UK for the 3 years prior to starting uni to qualify for UK fees...otherwise international fees will apply.

There have been loads of threads about T.O. in the Canada Forums...if you read through them it will get you off to a good start. If you repost your questions in that forum you're bound to get lots of replies. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please shout out if you require help with anything...there is usually someone around to help 24/7.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

What's this re. UK Uni fees? Not heard of this one.

As you can imageine we are sweating on 'A' level results this year to see whether he has done enough for his UK place but if not he would be delighted to go to College in Canada but we all thought it would be just oo expensive.

I dont quite understand the 3 year qualification (he is UK born and bred) can you elaborate please.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

What's this re. UK Uni fees? Not heard of this one.

As you can imageine we are sweating on 'A' level results this year to see whether he has done enough for his UK place but if not he would be delighted to go to College in Canada but we all thought it would be just oo expensive.

I dont quite understand the 3 year qualification (he is UK born and bred) can you elaborate please.
The fees you pay to attend uni in the UK.

You should check into the Canadian rates...it will depend on the uni and course. The student is entitled to 'home' rates if they have been resident in Ontario for a certain number of months. Ask in the Canada forums the people there will have more idea than I. My daughter went to the University of Toronto as an international student...had we been living in Ontario at the time the fees would have been much less.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info - I'll look into the other threads as suggested.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the info - I'll look into the other threads as suggested.
You can either look down the list of threads in the forum or use the Search Function which is located in the pink bar at the top of this page.

Go to 'Advanced Search'....in the box at the top left select 'Search Titles Only'...put in Toronto etc. Highlight the 'Canada Forums' in the large box...bottom right. Press 'Search Now' and it should bring up all the old threads about Toronto.

Give me a shout if you need help with this.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:07 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Irishmel

Welcome to BE.
I see Jerseygirl has linked you to the Canada forum, where you will find lots of good folks willing to help with anything you need to know.

If your teenage son does decide to go with you, he may like to join our Youth Club forum, which is especially for teenagers. I'm sure he would enjoy chatting with expats of his own age instead of some of us oldies.

Good luck with your move

Dread - x
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Newbie moving to Toronto and looking for info and inspiration

Thankyou - I will pass that on to him.