Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Newbie hoping to move to a new life in America

Newbie hoping to move to a new life in America

Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:56 am
Just Joined

atsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really niceatsey is just really nice
Default Newbie hoping to move to a new life in America

Hi all,

I'm Atul and me, wife and two daughters aged 17 and 8 have decided we want to start a new life in America. I have already applied for a family based visa(F4), and are in process of filling in the AOS/Visa documents.
I am looking to settle in either New Jersey – would be an easier commute to NYC, or Texas, as I have a considerable background in IT systems in the financial area.
I have already spoken to several work colleagues who are American, and I know that the first year or so will be hard, as we as a family will be starting from scratch, but am confident that it will be for the better, as both my girls want to pursue a career in medicine.

I'll be trawling these boards for info/tips but if anyone has a good starting point for me, please feel free to post it here.

Appreciate any help/advice offered
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie hoping to move to a new life in America

Hi Atsey and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, I can't offer much advise on the US as I am in Hungary. However, hopefully you will find your way to our US forum where you will find lots of useful information and friendly members willing to help. The concierge for the US is Kaffy Mintcake, she is extremely helpful and you can contact her here

Good luck to you and your family

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Mar 4th 2011 at 11:00 am.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atsey
Hi all,

I'm Atul and me, wife and two daughters aged 17 and 8 have decided we want to start a new life in America. I have already applied for a family based visa(F4), and are in process of filling in the AOS/Visa documents.
I am looking to settle in either New Jersey – would be an easier commute to NYC, or Texas, as I have a considerable background in IT systems in the financial area.
I have already spoken to several work colleagues who are American, and I know that the first year or so will be hard, as we as a family will be starting from scratch, but am confident that it will be for the better, as both my girls want to pursue a career in medicine.

I'll be trawling these boards for info/tips but if anyone has a good starting point for me, please feel free to post it here.

Appreciate any help/advice offered
Hi there...welcome to the site.

We have lots of members living in the NYC Metro Area and Texas. I'll give you the links to the US forums and a couple of other links to help get you started but please let me know if you need more help.

If you have have questions about the immigration process please post them in the US Immigration and Visas forum. General questions about life in the US should be posted in the US Forum. The Trailer Park is for general chit chat.

Please take time to take a look in the BE Wiki...it's a great source for information.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Rete, Meauxna, Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck.

F4 is fourth preference based on a sibling I think and being married puts you even further down the priority for a visa, so if you've only just started the visa process don't expect anything to happen for a few years.

With your IT background, you might have more luck working for a company who could then transfer you to the US on L visa's, spouse would be able to work at least, won't be so much fun for the 17 year old though, or look at the H1B work visa, which wouldn't allow the spouse to work.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there! Just wanted to welcome you to the site. I wish you nothing but the best as you work toward a future move to America.

Don't hesitate to ask if I can help you find your way around on BE.