Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

newbie brit lass-dreams of counselling abroad with

newbie brit lass-dreams of counselling abroad with

Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

loupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really nice
Default newbie brit lass-dreams of counselling abroad with

Hello folks,

Yep, another newbie! Like many others I've had the motivation to emigrate - Canada and the USA particularly. I managed to complete a BA and MA in Counselling hoping this would be transferable, so am starting the long and complicated journey of seeing where and how i can fit in! If any one of you fine folks have any advice for budding counsellors abroad in the USA or Canada, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for such a fantastic site, Laura
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie brit lass-dreams of counselling abroad with

Originally Posted by loupritchard
Hello folks,

Yep, another newbie! Like many others I've had the motivation to emigrate - Canada and the USA particularly. I managed to complete a BA and MA in Counselling hoping this would be transferable, so am starting the long and complicated journey of seeing where and how i can fit in! If any one of you fine folks have any advice for budding counsellors abroad in the USA or Canada, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for such a fantastic site, Laura
Hello Laura...welcome to BE.

Unfortunately the US is one of the hardest countries to move to...you may find it easier to look into moving to Canada. Take a look at this...if you don't into any of the categories it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to move to the US.

I'll give you a few relevant links to the Canada forums. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out if you require assistance with anything...there is usually someone around to help out.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

loupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really niceloupritchard is just really nice

thanks so much, i shall start plugging through the sites you've recommended, many many thanks, (located in harrogate of all the yorkshire places!). I had a hunch Canada would be more 'do-able', cheers again, laura
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so much, i shall start plugging through the sites you've recommended, many many thanks, (located in harrogate of all the yorkshire places!). I had a hunch Canada would be more 'do-able', cheers again, laura
I'm from a little south of you...Sheffield.

I like Canada...we spend quite a bit of time in Toronto as our daughter lives there. Vancouver is supposed to be lovely...it's on my bucket list of places to visit.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: newbie brit lass-dreams of counselling abroad with

sheffields well impressive! All my friends wanted to go to sheff halam uni for some reason, and I nearly went there to do mental health nurse training (and then pulled out to concentrate on the counselling). I have a friend on Toronto, but Vancouver sounds pretty interesting too, you are a lucky lady!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:50 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura

I see Jerseygirl has given you the relevant links to assist you with your plans to escape over the pond.
I love Harrogate - I lived there for just over a year when I was selected to work on a new programme of training for baby coppers. It was a fantastic year of my life - and the mileage claims were pretty good too (lol)
Tell me do they still have that crazy guy compare in the pubs and clubs called of all things 'Gyrating Geoffrey'?
I won't repeat JG's information so that just leaves me to say welcome to BE and wish you the very best of luck in your plans

Dread - x
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Hey dread,
Hum, afraid I'm not familiar with 'Gyrating Geoffrey'! Don't seem to be very settles in Harrogate, but only came here to be closer to my job on the mental health ward at the hospital :O) There's a very dodgy club here called Wildcats if that"s any memory jog! After a few hours research I've found that my counselling qualifications aren't recognized in Canada at all. In a way I'm okay with this,a s I did a four year American studies degree (god, don't ask why!!) so I suppose the USA is where my heart lies, but as you folks have already stated its near enough impossible to get over there. Anyway, thanks so much for both of you responding, keep up the good work, Laura
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:47 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura, well don't give up hope. Might be worth thinking outside the box maybe, esp if you want to experience the expat life. Is Australia worth a look? Have q good look round the different forums and all the best to you in your planning
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Hey baked bean, I'm afraid Australia doesn't float my boat at all whats more have just been looking at another forum on the net and it says there is fewer and fewer jobs in the usa for counsellors, blimey!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hey baked bean, I'm afraid Australia doesn't float my boat at all whats more have just been looking at another forum on the net and it says there is fewer and fewer jobs in the usa for counsellors, blimey!
Even fewer jobs for those who don't have authorisation to work in the US I'm afraid. It may be worth looking to see if your qualifications are acceptable for the job you want to do. Expats sometimes find that they have to re-qualify for certain jobs.

In the US there are hundreds/thousands of applicants for every job vacancy. You have to ask yourself why an employer would pay thousands of dollars and wait months to employ someone from overseas...when they can employ an American right away at no cost. They also have to prove the vacancy cannot be filled by one of the millions of US citizens looking for work.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

yes, i had thought of this!!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes, i had thought of this!!
If you click on the 'Quote' tab...at the bottom right hand side of the post you are replying to it helps us to see who your reply is meant for.