Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New Memeber, Moving To States EB2 Visa Query

New Memeber, Moving To States EB2 Visa Query

Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:56 am
Just Joined

NYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really nice
Default New Memeber, Moving To States EB2 Visa Query

Hi All,

Been looking at this forum for a while now and decided to join as I am looking for a bit of friendly advice. I worked in NYC in 2000, but after the WTC issues I moved back to the UK in 2002 to do an MBA. I had a H1B visa (worked as an Analyst for an Investment firm, via my BA Hons. in Business) which expired in 2002 and a B1 visa which expired Jan 2010.

Since being back in the UK I have completed my MBA at UK top 5 Business School & worked in the investment banking/finance industries as a senior associate in London. I was in the US a month ago and have fallen back in love with NYC, and would like to move back there. At the moment (last 7 months) I am a Director of my own firm, architectural glass in Yorkshire, (been in the glass business for years too, fathers profession).

Now I am a little confused about which Visa to apply for, I remember my H1B was a sponsorship visa, meaning if I left my employer/sponsor I need to leave the States. During my time with the employer I didn’t enjoy my job but stuck it out to get as much experience on my CV/resume. So this time around I would like to apply for a green card. A friend in NY recommend I look into an EB2 visa, due to my masters and 10 years banking experience. I would like to work in the finance industry again, as a senior associate, so I have the following questions,
1) Is the EB2 the best way to get my green card?
2) Or should I go for a H1B and then convert to a EB2?
3) Can anyone recommend any immigration lawyers in the UK/States that they have used and had good experiences with?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:06 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Memeber, Moving To States EB2 Visa Query

Hi and welcome to the forum.
There is a wealth of information on expats.
May I first of all point you to the section about visas and also to the section about living in America. Hopefully you can find the answers on either of these two sections, if not why not post your question(s)?

Good luck with your plans
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYC Calling
Hi All,

Been looking at this forum for a while now and decided to join as I am looking for a bit of friendly advice. I worked in NYC in 2000, but after the WTC issues I moved back to the UK in 2002 to do an MBA. I had a H1B visa (worked as an Analyst for an Investment firm, via my BA Hons. in Business) which expired in 2002 and a B1 visa which expired Jan 2010.

Since being back in the UK I have completed my MBA at UK top 5 Business School & worked in the investment banking/finance industries as a senior associate in London. I was in the US a month ago and have fallen back in love with NYC, and would like to move back there. At the moment (last 7 months) I am a Director of my own firm, architectural glass in Yorkshire, (been in the glass business for years too, fathers profession).

Now I am a little confused about which Visa to apply for, I remember my H1B was a sponsorship visa, meaning if I left my employer/sponsor I need to leave the States. During my time with the employer I didn’t enjoy my job but stuck it out to get as much experience on my CV/resume. So this time around I would like to apply for a green card. A friend in NY recommend I look into an EB2 visa, due to my masters and 10 years banking experience. I would like to work in the finance industry again, as a senior associate, so I have the following questions,
1) Is the EB2 the best way to get my green card?
2) Or should I go for a H1B and then convert to a EB2?
3) Can anyone recommend any immigration lawyers in the UK/States that they have used and had good experiences with?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You don't/can't apply for a visa...your employer must do it. I suggest you repost your question in the US Immigration Forum. Many of our regular members have US immigration experience therefore they will be able to answer your questions in more deetail. Thank you.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

NYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really niceNYC Calling is just really nice

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response, I will post it on the other forum today.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 1:51 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYC Calling
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response, I will post it on the other forum today.

Hi NYC

Just a little message to say welcome to BE.
I hope you will find the answers to the visa query - and good luck with your intended return to the Big A.

Dread - x