Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New Member Looking into Moving To The US

New Member Looking into Moving To The US

Old Mar 21st 2012, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

loulabell1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Member Looking into Moving To The US

Hi there im new to this site and didnt really know where to look to get the information needed! Me and My boyfriend are looking into moving to the us ( Michigan area), ive looked into getting a visa and green cards but my boyfriend has got a criminal record. He was in prison for 2 months for a possession of a offensive weapon back in 2001 and I was just wondering if that would effect him getting a visa and I know a criminal record can affect it but only found that people that have been jailed for drug offensives or trafficking offensives have had a problem. If anyone could help would be very grateful thank you x
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member Looking into Moving To The US

Welcome to BE and good luck.

You don't say how you plan to move to the US in the first place.

If neither of you are a US citizen, look here - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

That's basically the ways in. If there's a visa option available, who ever is the primary go get get the visa, the other half to get the follow on visa would need to be married to the primary. So basically, you need to be married to get a visa together.

His criminal record does complicate things, this is not a DIY situation and a consult with a experienced immigration lawyer is probably well worth the $100-200.

You can find more information about the whole processes, convictions and recommendations if you look through the US immigration forums here at BE.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loulabell1990
Hi there im new to this site and didnt really know where to look to get the information needed! Me and My boyfriend are looking into moving to the us ( Michigan area), ive looked into getting a visa and green cards but my boyfriend has got a criminal record. He was in prison for 2 months for a possession of a offensive weapon back in 2001 and I was just wondering if that would effect him getting a visa and I know a criminal record can affect it but only found that people that have been jailed for drug offensives or trafficking offensives have had a problem. If anyone could help would be very grateful thank you x
What visa are you intending to move with?

Unless either you or your boyfriend is a US citizen and you are intending to get married you won't be moving to Michigan unless you can get an employer to sponsor one of you.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 5:29 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loulabell1990
Hi Loulabell

Welcome to BE.

I would advise you to do two things as a starting point.

The first would be to check out our USA Immigration forum, which you will find as part of th USA forum - click the 'forum index' tab on the top left of this page, scroll down and double click on USA and you're in. Once in double click on the title Immigration. Have a look through then if you hav any questions, please don't be afraid to pop a post into the USA forum asking.

Secondly regarding your boyfriend's conviction and prison sentence - I'm sorry to say that I do think this may present a problem and I would have to question whether this is his first conviction on account that it is almost unheard of in the UK to get 2 months in prison for a first offence.
Your local police force should have a department called ACRO which deal with the police certificates needed for emigrating abroad. I think it would b a good idea to ring them and ask - at least by doing this you will know the answer for sure.

All the best with things

Dread - x