Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New to Forums - Thinking of moving back to the UK

New to Forums - Thinking of moving back to the UK

Old May 17th 2011, 12:58 am
Just Joined

ren13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face New to Forums - Thinking of moving back to the UK

Hello from Hong Kong. I have been here for 33 years and I only just spotted your website! I have dipping in and have found really interesting stuff already. I am aiming to start to think about maybe returning to UK as I am now 71 and ready to go out to pasture, I reckon. Don't get me wrong, Hong Kong is wonderful and I have had a blast. I do know the place well so will be open to enquiry about life here. I just wanted to say I am here.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forums

Originally Posted by ren13
Hello from Hong Kong. I have been here for 33 years and I only just spotted your website! I have dipping in and have found really interesting stuff already. I am aiming to start to think about maybe returning to UK as I am now 71 and ready to go out to pasture, I reckon. Don't get me wrong, Hong Kong is wonderful and I have had a blast. I do know the place well so will be open to enquiry about life here. I just wanted to say I am here.
Hello and welcome to BE.

Wow 33 years. I think many of us think about moving home as we grow nearer retirement age. We have had a few seniors like yourself who have returned or who are returning to the UK from the Far East. They mostly post in the Moving Back To The UK Forum. We have a great crowd of very helpful members who post in those forums...so if you post any questions you may have regarding the move home I'm sure you get some helpful replies.

I think you'll find lots of relevant information in the following threads:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=50%27s+60%27s

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699504

Also take a look in the BE Wiki.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 17th 2011 at 1:26 am.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:30 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All the best with your move back to ol' Blighty
Old May 17th 2011, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Gosh, that was quick! Thanks Jerseygirl (why the name? Only I just got back from a short break in Jersey!) and bakedbean. I only just began to think about a move. It all depends on finance(what doesn't?).
I will have a good look around the places you suggest . Thanks a lot.
Old May 17th 2011, 6:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome from Spain.

Sounds like you have really made Hong Kong your home and not just somewhere you have happened to live. Have you thought about which area of UK that you might go to? I know you said that it depends on finances but have you other criteria such as wanting to achieve the move within a certain timescale. Are there people in the UK to help to ease you back into the the different life?

I really hope that this proves to be an easy and calm transition for you and if I can be of any help please ask away.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2011, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary. To be quite honest I have only just , in the last few days, having returned from a lovely holiday with my cousin in Gloucester, even begun the think about it. It is late ,I know, and I always rejected the idea before, but the weather was great, the shopping good, the Wedding was a blast and I really enjoyed it this time and began to have this notion....
So, Rosemary anything that you and the other lovely people here mention is probably something I have not considered. I know I sound like a scatterbrain (well I am) but I will certainly take anything you all say into consideration and it will all help I know. So a short answer is The West. I am Cornish by ancestry, went to school in Gloucester and could not really think of anywhere north of Bristol! (is there anywhere? lol just kidding).
Old May 17th 2011, 8:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As a Plymouthian who lived in Cornwall for about 26 years I know where you are coming from with that statement.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2011, 9:04 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Oddities
As a Plymouthian who lived in Cornwall for about 26 years I know where you are coming from with that statement.

Rosemary
Small world I used to live in Mutley Plain. When I was about 8...
Old May 17th 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
Small world I used to live in Mutley Plain. When I was about 8...
I lived Freedom Fields from 1960 to 1971, as you said it is a very small world.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2011, 9:41 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I lived Freedom Fields from 1960 to 1971, as you said it is a very small world.

Rosemary
Yeah I went to Mutley Juniors and Plymouth High School for Girls.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forums - Thinking of moving back to the UK

Hi ren13,

We've got a few members who, like yourself, have lived abroad for a long time but are now thinking of moving back to the UK, so you will find others to connect with.

So a big welcome to BE and I hope you enjoy being part of our community.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, that was quick! Thanks Jerseygirl (why the name? Only I just got back from a short break in Jersey!) and bakedbean. I only just began to think about a move. It all depends on finance(what doesn't?).
I will have a good look around the places you suggest . Thanks a lot.

Probably not the same Jersey. I live in New Jersey, USA...thus the username. Although I have been to Jersey...but that was more years ago than I care to think about.