Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

New & Excited. Questions: 1. Relocating to England. 2. How easy is it to work in US?

New & Excited. Questions: 1. Relocating to England. 2. How easy is it to work in US?

Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:08 am
Just Joined

diamondsduke is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New & Excited. Questions: 1. Relocating to England. 2. How easy is it to work in US?

1.Relocating to England 2. How easy is it to live and work in United States?

Happy New Year!! I sincerely hope each and everyone of you, get through with what they wish to accomplished for this new year.
With that being said, I am new on this site, joined 3 days ago. Been going through it and I must say it is informative, exciting, as opposed to other sites I have checked. I like the energy. Came upon this site searching for information if possible, or if you can direct me would be excellent.

I am a British Citizen born in London but I reside in Trinidad an English speaking country. I left since I was probably two years old, presently am 32 years. Did not return as I had a lot of stuff to deal with. I currently have a BA Hons Degree in Management from University of Sunderland (UK degree) through the school SBCS in Trinidad but I am also thinking of changing my career to Health. I have work experience from Trinidad only.

Questions are pertaining to these options:

I have never visited England since, as I have no relatives there. I want to go this year, (August, September I know the price of ticket may be high, can you suggest when maybe is the best time to book?) as my friend is looking in, for me to stay by her family. I noted some posts indicated Citizens Advice Bureau, Job center and Income Benefits to check on, but I have to read up more on this. So I was thinking if I were to relocate how effective this would be? I definitely know the culture would be different maybe a culture shock, as opposed to Trinidad. I can say Trinidad and Tobago is a developing country (Caribbean) is warm the persons are very friendly, all we have is rain and sun, as I don’t know much about England ( four seasons) the culture, so I cannot give an opinion. I know I may have to start over. I do not have an NI no. All I have is my British Passport, Birth Certificate and Certificates. Someone mentioned to me, that they may give money to one, who is a British Citizen (that is Council until you get a job) do not know how true this is.

Ideally it would have been wonderful for me to land there and get a job one time. However I see it, since I don’t have an NI no, this would cause it to be bit of challenge. I even tried my luck to apply for jobs from Trinidad that was not successful. I thought Skype interviews may have been done, but apparently this is not the norm. As I understand you may not be able to claim for anything especially if you were out of the country (but I couldn’t help my situation), I am fine with that. I just want to have an idea, if I chose to make this move, how can one get into the system? How is the economy? Where can I go to get my qualifications evaluated? How to format your resumes? What should I do first? How easy is it for one to do short courses or diplomas etc?

With regards to United States. Can it be possible to work in the United States? I read you would have to obtain a temporary work visa and is best if the Employer files for you. I was just wondering if you can do it on your own. I have relatives in different states and they have been very supportive, but if they were to file for me the process is long. However, I know one can also go through the school system as well, but that again will be money. Can British citizens get dual nationality? Also I know England is totally different from US, because I have visited US in the past. How easy would be one to transfer from one parent company to another in the states? E.g Microsoft has a branch both in England and States. I guess it may also depend on the availability of the position.

I am just checking out my options and see which one would be more feasible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am also still searching. I am fully aware, I may still have to search on my on.

Thanks in advance. (sorry its so long)

Last edited by diamondsduke; Mar 4th 2014 at 3:15 am.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New & Excited. Questions: 1. Relocating to England. 2. How easy is it to work in

Originally Posted by diamondsduke
1.Relocating to England 2. How easy is it to live and work in United States?

Happy New Year!! I sincerely hope each and everyone of you, get through with what they wish to accomplished for this new year.
With that being said, I am new on this site, joined 3 days ago. Been going through it and I must say it is informative, exciting, as opposed to other sites I have checked. I like the energy. Came upon this site searching for information if possible, or if you can direct me would be excellent.

I am a British Citizen born in London but I reside in Trinidad an English speaking country. I left since I was probably two years old, presently am 32 years. Did not return as I had a lot of stuff to deal with. I currently have a BA Hons Degree in Management from University of Sunderland (UK degree) through the school SBCS in Trinidad but I am also thinking of changing my career to Health. I have work experience from Trinidad only.

Questions are pertaining to these options:

I have never visited England since, as I have no relatives there. I want to go this year, (August, September I know the prize of ticket may be high, can you suggest when maybe is the best time to book?) as my friend is looking in, for me to stay by her family. I noted some posts indicated Citizens Advice Bureau, Job center and Income Benefits to check on, but I have to read up more on this. So I was thinking if I were to relocate how effective this would be? I definitely know the culture would be different maybe a culture shock, as opposed to Trinidad. I can say Trinidad and Tobago is a developing country (Caribbean) is warm the persons are very friendly, all we have is rain and sun, as I don’t know much about England ( four seasons) the culture, so I cannot give an opinion. I know I may have to start over. I do not have an NI no. All I have is my British Passport, Birth Certificate and Certificates. Someone mentioned to me, that they may give money to one, who is a British Citizen (that is Council until you get a job) do not know how true this is.

Ideally it would have been wonderful for me to land there and get a job one time. However I see it, since I don’t have an NI no, this would cause it to be bit of challenge. I even tried my luck to apply for jobs from Trinidad that was not successful. I thought Skype interviews may have been done, but apparently this is not the norm. As I understand you may not be able to claim for anything especially if you were out of the country (but I couldn’t help my situation), I am fine with that. I just want to have an idea, if I chose to make this move, how can one get into the system? How is the economy? Where can I go to get my qualifications evaluated? How to format your resumes? What should I do first? How easy is it for one to do short courses or diplomas etc?

With regards to United States. Can it be possible to work in the United States? I read you would have to obtain a temporary work visa and is best if the Employer files for you. I was just wondering if you can do it on your own. I have relatives in different states and they have been very supportive, but if they were to file for me the process is long. However, I know one can also go through the school system as well, but that again will be money. Can British citizens get dual nationality? Also I know England is totally different from US, because I have visited US in the past. How easy would be one to transfer from one parent company to another in the states? E.g Microsoft has a branch both in England and States. I guess it may also depend on the availability of the position.

I am just checking out my options and see which one would be more feasible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am also still searching. I am fully aware, I may still have to search on my on.

Thanks in advance. (sorry its so long)
Hi there and welcome

I don't think it's easy to work in the US - you may want to repost in the US forums for the best answers - and have a read of the wiki

As for going to the UK, you could try asking in the Moving back forums
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:42 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New & Excited. Questions: 1. Relocating to England. 2. How easy is it to work in

Welcome to the forum
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:16 am
Just Joined

diamondsduke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank you for the response old.sparkles. I honestly thought, I had posted it in the Moving section. lol. Will do. Thank you baked bean..