Reload this Page >

New to Edmonton

New to Edmonton

Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

TigerBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to Edmonton

Hello,

I moved to Edmonton last November. I'm on a temporary transfer with work, which is expected to last around 2 years.
Still waiting for OH to join me. He's been out a couple of times, but not made the move full time yet. He's in the motor trade and is looking for a sales job. He's been offered several out here, but they are all 100% commission based, which was a bit of a shock.

I'm currently looking for a hairdresser. They seem to be pretty pricey out here. Especially compared to Hull (where I come from). If anyone can recommend a good one, I would be very grateful.

Delighted to meet you all
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Edmonton

Welcome to BE
I see you have found the Canadian forum so hopefully you will get some joy finding a hair dresser
Hope you are finding not having OH with you full time not to much of a hardship, I know when my husband moved over to NZ before we joined him I was to busy planning getting there and still maintaining a day to day existance to worry to much and Skype is a great tool
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:47 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerBabe
Hello,

I moved to Edmonton last November. I'm on a temporary transfer with work, which is expected to last around 2 years.
Still waiting for OH to join me. He's been out a couple of times, but not made the move full time yet. He's in the motor trade and is looking for a sales job. He's been offered several out here, but they are all 100% commission based, which was a bit of a shock.

I'm currently looking for a hairdresser. They seem to be pretty pricey out here. Especially compared to Hull (where I come from). If anyone can recommend a good one, I would be very grateful.

HI TigerBabe,

Welcome to BE and congrats on your move to Edmonton, how are you finding it so far?

I can't relate to moving to Canada, because I live in the US, but I will soon be moving to another state so I can relate to the hairdresser issue. I've had the same hairdresser for years so hoping I can find a good one when we move. Our hair is a big deal isn't it
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tigerbabe and welcome to the forum
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all the welcome messages. I've managed to get booked in to a hairdressers for Saturday. So fingers crossed
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all the welcome messages. I've managed to get booked in to a hairdressers for Saturday. So fingers crossed
Let us know how it goes
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Welcome to BE.

Don't know anything about your area...sorry. My daughter lives in Toronto and used to pay well over $300 for highlights...now she goes to a teaching salon. She uses Aveda but has now found another as Aveda is booked for months on end for Saturdays. At Aveda she paid less than $50...the new one she goes to is $35...including cut. Her hair looks great...actually better than a regular salon.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

I had my hair done on Saturday. Really pleased with the cut and the colour. Opted to have done by the trainee, as was assured it would be half the price of one of their qualified stylists. And she is only a month off qualifying. It still cost me $112
I'm still new to this automatic tipping thing. I did tip her. Was I supposed to?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:14 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

I had my hair done on Saturday. Really pleased with the cut and the colour. Opted to have done by the trainee, as was assured it would be half the price of one of their qualified stylists. And she is only a month off qualifying. It still cost me $112
I'm still new to this automatic tipping thing. I did tip her. Was I supposed to?
Well I don't know about Canada, but down her in the US ... yes you tip for everything, especially for a haircut.

Glad you are pleased with your new "do"