Reload this Page >

In need of a move

In need of a move

Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

gh05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In need of a move

Hi,

So I am from the UK and work here. I have traveled quite a few times now and always wanted to do a year or so working abroad. For various reasons I never did this and am not 32 (I think probably too old to get a working holiday visa anywhere?).

My job is office based (IT) and I'm really not enjoying it so am considering a career change as well but I feel like I need to get away for a bit and live in another country (it would be nice if it was warm-ish) for a year or so. Is there any way that I can do this or have I missed the boat because of my age? If I do move abroad to work, am I limited to working in IT (I'd like to get out of a stressful career in the office).

I know that there are options like teaching english abroad but I've also heard the pay is not very good unless you maybe teach in Asia which culturally wouldn't be my first choice to live.

Many Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of a move

Welcome to BE

Of course the easiest countries to move to would be within the EU...as you wouldn't need a visa/work permit. Take a look down the list of countries we cover...if you fancy moving to any of them...open a thread giving as much background information as you can.

Good luck.

Living & Moving Abroad - British Expats
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gh05
Hi,

So I am from the UK and work here. I have traveled quite a few times now and always wanted to do a year or so working abroad. For various reasons I never did this and am not 32 (I think probably too old to get a working holiday visa anywhere?).

My job is office based (IT) and I'm really not enjoying it so am considering a career change as well but I feel like I need to get away for a bit and live in another country (it would be nice if it was warm-ish) for a year or so. Is there any way that I can do this or have I missed the boat because of my age? If I do move abroad to work, am I limited to working in IT (I'd like to get out of a stressful career in the office).

I know that there are options like teaching english abroad but I've also heard the pay is not very good unless you maybe teach in Asia which culturally wouldn't be my first choice to live.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! As Jerseygirl says, the EU would be the easiest option visa-wise. But you would be advised to speak a European language and be prepared for stiff competition from native job-seekers - in France, for example, priority would be given to bilingual French candidates for any jobs going. Be aware that the present economic situation in many EU countries, esp. in the South, means that their unemployment rates are much higher than in the UK.
If you don't speak another language, consider the Netherlands, Scandinavia... where the natives are English-speaking (at least employment-wise). Eire might be worth considering, except for the warmer weather.
As suggested, look in the various Countries in the Europe section of BE.
Good luck!
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

You could try a one year working holiday visa for New Zealand; better than nothing. Your main problem is that you dont want to work in the area you have experience in, so have nothing to offer a prospective employer.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
You could try a one year working holiday visa for New Zealand; better than nothing.
He would have to be 30 or younger to be eligible for a New Zealand WHV.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
He would have to be 30 or younger to be eligible for a New Zealand WHV.

Thanks for correcting my suggestion. My daughter did it, but it hadnt occurred to me that there was a maximum age.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

EU seems to be only option.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:32 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
Thanks for correcting my suggestion. My daughter did it, but it hadnt occurred to me that there was a maximum age.
It did used to be 18-35 for NZ through Bunac I think but that was changed a while ago.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:08 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. You're not saying How old you are (except that you are not 32, so presumably older than that). Whether you are in a position to just chuck your job? Family commitments?

If you are totally free of commitments and can afford to just up sticks, then why not consider somewhere else within the UK. If you're up North, go South. Or vice versa.

What are your interests in life? Could you set up a little business connecting with those interests?
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Arva A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gh05
Hi,

What kind of other jobs would you like? And what salary range do you prefer? Have you considered Middle East? Most westerners find it interesting and a good choice for a change.