Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

My Big List - It's too BIG to do in 11wks

My Big List - It's too BIG to do in 11wks

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

corfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nice
Exclamation My Big List - It's too BIG to do in 11wks

Hello there

We have hit the ground running, it's all happening, too fast believe it or not. We are in the UK at the moment and as of yesterday my OH handed in his notice and accepted the job offer in Sydney.

I have been scouring BE for the past few weeks since it became apparent that we may really be moving to Sydney and trying to get a feel for the things that I may need to research etc.

But there is no time for research it is GO GO GO.

Quick overview of package, salary $98,000, 457 Visa for 4yrs, Relocation package of $10,000, LAFHA has been offered, but proportion to be agreed on arrival. 4 wks furnished accommodation and the use of an estate agent to attend viewings and help us with orientation on arrival.

We have one child aged 4, who at the moment just thinks we are going on a long holiday to Oz around xmas to get some sunshine!

My endless list is setting me into a panic!! Take a look!

Shipping companies - have Crown Relocations coming to do quote, just looked at John Mason due to recommendations on BE

Medical Insurance - this is now mandatory for all 457 visas and the company have said we have to have this in place before departure at Premium Level for all the family

UK Bank Accounts - they are in a bit of a mess and need major consolidation regarding DD etc.

Mortgage Account - with HSBC, the less said the better, they have annoyed me already!

A Will - as a family we do not have a will, major thing to organise

OZ Bank Account - have looked at a number of threads regarding this, and you all seem to have your gripes. Banks, eh, offer you the world to get your money and give you diddly squat when it matters. Not sure how to make decision on this one.

Renting our house - using big estate agents they have been pretty good, only sent confirmation to act letter yesterday and have a viewing already, random bloke turned up with TO LET sign today and started hammering into the tree, we stopped him as we haven't even told the neighbours!! Lots of hoops to jump thru regarding rental (that's a blinking sub-list)

Finances - there are pensions and shares to sort out here, informing inland revenue, tax credits, child benefit, etc

Miscellaneous - a have found random lists on sites, reminding you to request all your medical notes, re-direct your mail, get a no claims car insurance letter, inform your house insurance you are going to be landlords.

SORRY SORRY SORRY, someone stop me before I spontaneously combust.

I suppose, my point is, get organised, be researched and ready, have it all in place ready to go, so when that happy visa day arrives you can just book your flight and begin the dream stress-free, unlike us!

Apologies, this isn't a great intro I know, but it is where we are at and welcome, all comments, help advice, and whatever else you want to throw at me.

Many Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Big List - It's too BIG to do in 11wks

Hello there and welcome to our cyber community of expats.

I know it's a daunting time but it's also a very exciting one. You'll be arriving in Oz in time for summer too.

We have a great bunch of people who post in our Australia Forum....they will give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum...the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of useful info in there.

Before you begin posting please take time to read through the Site Rules and any stickied threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Alistairboyle is the concierge for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact Alistair.

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

I hope you enjoy your time with us and don't forget to shout out should you require any help.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Corfu! wow! take a few breaths and relax...you have come to the right place to get answers, help etc. Good luck with that 'list' it certainly is a long one!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:22 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Corfu

Wow, you seem to have got through quite a lot of what you need to do already, so I reckon you have earned a break with a large glass of wine or your favourite tipple. Then sit back and relish the anticipation of escaping what will be a very cold UK and landing in a warm sunny place.....
It is always daunting moving to a new place and there always seems to be too much to do in the time allowed, but strangely we all manage to get it done.
Anyway I see my colleagues have pointed you in the direction of the Australia forum, where the good folks on there can help with tips and advice to help make the move a smooth one, which just leaves me to say Welcome to BE.

Good luck with your move and enjoy the sunshine

Dread - x
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

corfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Corfu

Wow, you seem to have got through quite a lot of what you need to do already, so I reckon you have earned a break with a large glass of wine or your favourite tipple. Then sit back and relish the anticipation of escaping what will be a very cold UK and landing in a warm sunny place.....
It is always daunting moving to a new place and there always seems to be too much to do in the time allowed, but strangely we all manage to get it done.
Anyway I see my colleagues have pointed you in the direction of the Australia forum, where the good folks on there can help with tips and advice to help make the move a smooth one, which just leaves me to say Welcome to BE.

Good luck with your move and enjoy the sunshine

Dread - x
Just to say thanks to you all for reading my ridiculous introduction, I have chilled out a bit now and decided to take one day at a time, just needed to get it of my chest and at least now I have the list in one place to reference.

Feeling a bit unsure of putting things in the right forums so apologies for any mishaps. But hope my crashcourse in the experience of preparing to move in 11wks will mean I will hopefully be able to help others in due course.

Thanks again
Corfu
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corfu
Just to say thanks to you all for reading my ridiculous introduction, I have chilled out a bit now and decided to take one day at a time, just needed to get it of my chest and at least now I have the list in one place to reference.

Feeling a bit unsure of putting things in the right forums so apologies for any mishaps. But hope my crashcourse in the experience of preparing to move in 11wks will mean I will hopefully be able to help others in due course.

Thanks again
Corfu
Sometimes it helps to get it off one's chest doesn't it?

Don't worry about posting in the wrong forum...you'll soon get the hang of it. As you will be moving to Australia soon and need help and advice you should post in the Australia forums. The Immigration Forum is specifically for questions regarding the actual immigration process...for example 'What visa should I apply for'. The Main Forum is for topics relating to Australia...'Where are the best schools in Sydney located?' The Barbie is for general chit chat. Don't worry if you put things in the wrong forum a mod will soon move the thread into the correct forum. I gave you all the relevant links in my post #2...just click on the links and hey presto it will take you there.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to shout out if you need any help...there is usually a mod or admin around 24/7.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:05 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corfu

Thanks again
Corfu
Hi Corfu

Nothing ridiculous about your introduction - I thought it was very honest, and I'm glad BE was here for you to get it off your chest, which aways helps.

Don't worry about posting things on the forums, just post where you think it fits, and we can always move it if needed. You will soon find your feet on here, and I would definitely advise you to introduce yourself onto the Australia forum where yopu can enjoy making some new friends in your new area, as well as ask all the questions you want, and the good folks on there will be only too willing to answer you with accurate inofrmation.

The main thing is just jump in, get posting and enjoy the fun.

Good luck with the move

Dread - x
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Lisa 1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am feeling exactly the same and it was so refreshing to read your email, you seem a lot further forward than me. I am still working at my job in London until the 8th October so I am getting nothing done at the moment. Managed to get some relocation companies to come round next week but then I need to send the quotes over to my new employer for their confirmation. Haven't even booked flights yet and December is starting to get very pricey. I feel 6 months wouldn't be long enough at the moment!! Not sure where to start and how it's all going to get done, allowing me to spend some time with the family as well.

Lisa:
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lisa 1976
I am feeling exactly the same and it was so refreshing to read your email, you seem a lot further forward than me. I am still working at my job in London until the 8th October so I am getting nothing done at the moment. Managed to get some relocation companies to come round next week but then I need to send the quotes over to my new employer for their confirmation. Haven't even booked flights yet and December is starting to get very pricey. I feel 6 months wouldn't be long enough at the moment!! Not sure where to start and how it's all going to get done, allowing me to spend some time with the family as well.

Lisa:
Hello Lisa and welcome to the site. Why don't you open a new thread and introduce yourself?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Lisa:
Hi Lisa

Refreshing to get a response from someone who has to get everything organised in such a short space of time too!! I assume you have been scanning the forums and realising how much there is to do.

Everyone else seems to be waiting for Visas and therefore preparing things at leisure.

Don't know much about your situation, are you being sponsored on a 457 like us? Are you heading out on your own or with family?

My OH doesn't finish work til Nov 5th! We have been trying to get the house ready for rent, doing all those unfinished jobs which have been hanging around for years.

My 4 year old son was supposed to start mainstream school this Sept, but didn't see the point, so sent him back to pre-school. So, he still wants my attention most of the day.

Why do your employer's want to know the shipping costs, have they not agreed a relocation package? Ours is only $10,000 and will just about cover shipping and flights.

I have just had 2 quotes in from Crown Relocation and John Masons (they both only do International Relocations) so thought I would just compare the two. Crown want £3,999 and John Masons quoted £3,652. This is for the sole use of a 20ft container, I have to add insurance on to that. Just something you may need to consider is Crowns quote includes the $420 charge that AQIS charge the other end to open your container, John Masons doesn't. Haven't decided which to go with yet.

Please let me know if you want any more info, lots of threads on this forum but sometimes best just to focus on your list and work through it, just like I am ha ha, I have buried my head in the sand at the moment!!!

Take Care
Carmella
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:56 am

Lisa:

Hi Lisa

Welcome to BE.
I am sure our Australia forum will be a great help to you too as the good folks on there are great at offering tips and advice to help make your move a smooth one. Just pop over and introduce yourself there.
There always seems so much to do and not enough time but somehow we manage to get what seems the impossible done.

Good luck with your move, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end

Dread - x