Moving to Oz

Old Jan 7th 2017, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Gaynorgg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Oz

Hi I am a midwife , I am 52 , I want to move to Australia but am I too old ?
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Oz

Originally Posted by Gaynorgg
That depends. Are you married to an Australian? Looking for a permanent move or temporary?
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

No I am single and yes I would like to live there permanently
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No I am single and yes I would like to live there permanently
Are you eligible to register in Australia?.....are you degree qualified?
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Yes I am a midwife with degree
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am a midwife with degree
Does that mean that your qualification as a midwife is at degree level?

AHPRA require that your training is at a level equivalent to AQF level 7 which equates to a Batchelor degree.......this can include professional development.

A permanent visa is going to be very difficult for you at your age.

It would be possible to get a sponsored temporary visa and there may then be ways to become permanent but not easily.

Sponsored visas require an employer to sponsor you, or in some cases, a state.

Sponsorship is not as easy for nurses as it used to be but may be possible.

Midwifery as a separate discipline is relatively new in Australia and, not so long ago, was considered a branch of General nursing. I am not sure what other requirements there may be but you would find out if you try to register.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 7th 2017 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 12:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

This may help with registration

Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia - Meeting the registration requirements
Old Jan 7th 2017, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Good Morning

I would like to welcome you to the world of the British Expat. Don't you just hate that the world considers the mature age of 52 old? I know of so many people who have switched careers in their 50's and have been hugely successful. Unfortunately, that doesn't equate to being successful in switching countries of residency, unless you are fabulously wealthy.

BTW I'm an American and love that you are a midwife. My daughter had her last two children with the services of a midwife and while I only attended the last birth, her midwife was wonderful. Highly trained, comforting, encouraging and the whole birth was so much easier and natural than a hospital birth.

Why don't you have a go at the Australian forums and pick the knowledgeable brains of those who have wandered down the immigration path and are now settled in Oz. If one approach doesn't work, perhaps there is another you can try so that at least your foot is in the door.

The best of luck to you.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou x