Reload this Page >

Moving to Javea

Moving to Javea

Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

WesB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Javea

Hi,

I'm completely new to this web site (or any site like this to be honest). My wife and I and our three children aged 5,2 and 1 are in the process of planning a very exciing and very nerveracking relocation to Javea, Spain.
If anyone can offer any advice, experiences or general dos and donts we'd be extremely grateful.
Our main concerns seem to be the childrens schooling and medical cover???

Thanking you all...
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

SKIPPY1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Javea

Originally Posted by WesB
Hi,

I'm completely new to this web site (or any site like this to be honest). My wife and I and our three children aged 5,2 and 1 are in the process of planning a very exciing and very nerveracking relocation to Javea, Spain.
If anyone can offer any advice, experiences or general dos and donts we'd be extremely grateful.

Thanking you all...
HI

I CAN TELL YOU THAT JAVEA IS A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE, MY PARENTS HAVE HAD A VILLA IN MORAIRA THERE SINCE 1982 WHICH IS ABOUT HALF HOURS DRIVEAWAY FROM JAVEA, THE MEDICAL OUT THERE IS VERY GOOD, THE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS ARE GOOD AS WELL.

SKIPPY
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:53 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanking you all...
Good day Wes and welcome to B.E.

Lots of helpful people and information on the Spanish branch of the forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Make yourself known, enjoy and make sure you ask questions!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:27 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Wes, a warm to the forum. As Catchafire said, do take a look at the Spain section of the forum. There's an easy link above you can follow. Lots of helpful folks in there so post your questions there. Don't be shy

Do you know Javea area well? It sounds like a good place to be judging by what others have said. Hope you have a good and enjoyable life there.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Pop into the Spain forum and ask away there is an extremely helpful member called Lynnxa who can give you a lot of information on schools in the area and there are quite a few other members who live there or near to there so you should gain a lot of useful information.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanking you all...

Your children are young enough to go through the Spanish system, and that would mean they would pick up the language very easily.

Do you have a job with an official contract to go to, if so then you would be covered for health care through that, if not, then I'm afraid it's private insurance. Will you be working there?, please remember that the Spanish unemployment is extremely high and there is no benefit system like the UK. If you are self employed, then you can make payments into the Social Security system which will cover for health care, BUT, it's something like €250+ per month. As you will have seen on the news recently the Spanish economy is in a bit of turmoil, so moving there without a big nest egg or a job to go to is a major gamble. There are now specific requirements to become registered as a resident, which is a certain level of income, and that you must have healthcare in place, without this residencia then many of the avenues that are available just won't be there. Finally, what is your level of Spanish? You would need to be fluent to get a job, and even if you are in an expat area, then you will need Spanish for the inordinate amount of bureaucracy involved.

These are the negatives, but there are positives, mainly the weather, cost of some foods, a different culture and some very friendly people.