Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving to British Columbia

Moving to British Columbia

Old Aug 29th 2019, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Gurds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to British Columbia

Me and my wife are looking to move to Vancouver or somewhere close by to move with out two children aged 9 and 12. I am going start the application process this weekend but not sure how the whole process works. Do you have to live there before your get permanent residency or can you get it in the UK and then move? My wife works in the IT sector and I currently run my own property company in the UK which I will keep.
I want to move for a better quality of life especially for my children and I’m hoping Canada will give us this. I have been the 5 times before and really liked it. We both have family there which makes it a bit easier I suppose. From the research we have done most jobs for my wife will be in downtown Vancouver. Ideally I want to buy a house there rather than rent, may have to rent for a few months to get to know the areas. Any suggestions on good areas for 4-5 bed house around $800k.
Also any recommendations on schools, not sure how different the education system is there compared to the UK?
Any information on moving over would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to British Columbia

Originally Posted by Gurds
Me and my wife are looking to move to Vancouver or somewhere close by to move with out two children aged 9 and 12. I am going start the application process this weekend but not sure how the whole process works. Do you have to live there before your get permanent residency or can you get it in the UK and then move? My wife works in the IT sector and I currently run my own property company in the UK which I will keep.
I want to move for a better quality of life especially for my children and I’m hoping Canada will give us this. I have been the 5 times before and really liked it. We both have family there which makes it a bit easier I suppose. From the research we have done most jobs for my wife will be in downtown Vancouver. Ideally I want to buy a house there rather than rent, may have to rent for a few months to get to know the areas. Any suggestions on good areas for 4-5 bed house around $800k.
Also any recommendations on schools, not sure how different the education system is there compared to the UK?
Any information on moving over would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, welcome to BE. The Welcome Inn is really just a place to say hello, so you'd be better off asking your questions in the Canada forum.

But to give you a brief overview - you don't have to live in Canada before PR (although not everybody qualifies without having lived there - depends on your CRS score?), worth asking about children's quality of life in the Canada forums (personally, I think the UK is better for kids than when we lived in Vancouver), areas in Vancouver will depend on where you're working and need to commute to really, and schools will be based on your address.

Tons of info on everything in the Wiki so grab a cuppa and get reading, and then head over to the Canada forums and ask your questions there. Questions about visas/PR should be placed in the immi section of the forum, general questions i.e. property/schooling, should be put in the main forum.

HTH, good luck.