Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Looking to Relocate (Sports Media)

Looking to Relocate (Sports Media)

Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:41 am
Just Joined

gcf1685 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to Relocate (Sports Media)

I am wanting to move away from Scotland, but do not have any specific preferences on where I would like to go (aside from I need to be eligible to work there obviously). I have done a lot of travelling previously, including a working holiday for a year in Australia and a semester university exchange in the United States. I love the challenge of moving somewhere new, which is why I have an open mind on where to move to.

I have a degree in journalism and have been working in sports media. My experience ranges from writing radio news, to researching at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, to supplying live statistics for English Premier League football matches. I would like to remain in some form of sports media, but am aware I may have to be flexible to get a start somewhere.

My language skills only stretch to English and a very basic level of German, but I do like the idea of moving somewhere where I could learn a new language.

So basically I have the motivation and an open mind, just looking for a bit of direction!! If anyone has had a similar experience or know someone who has, that would be excellent.

Cheers
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to Relocate (Sports Media)

Hello and welcome to the forum

As I understand it, the U.S. is very difficult to get into, but feel free to ask questions in the US section. Obviously getting a visa in whatever country is the top priority, so have a good look through some of the English speaking countries on here and check out what is possible. Good luck with that.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:02 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

The Wiki will be a good source for you. If you are under 30, you might want to look at the International Experience Canada (IEC) visa which is basically Canada's working holiday visa. It gives you 12 months of work in Canada, and if you still meet the requirements for a second year, then you can renew for another 12 months.

Obviously as a Brit you can also travel anywhere within the EU, though I'm not sure how much the language requirement will come into play if you're living outside of the UK. Have you thought maybe about Ireland? Or is that too close?

As BB said, the US is notoriously difficult to get into, but not impossible... I'd suggest reading some sections of the wiki about immigration procedures for various countries, and also doing some of your own research about what countries might allow you to work with only fluent English in sports media.

Good luck, and give a shout if you have more questions!
Old Oct 7th 2014, 1:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe also think outside the box a little bit, if yiu are inclined. Singapore is English speaking officially and they are all totally sports mad there no idea how yiu would start there though. Approach some media companies maybe. Anyway best of luck.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

After my son graduated he decided to emigrate to Canada. He went out on a temporary visa under a scheme organised by a UK company (not sure if I am allowed to name them). He started work outside of his masters just to pay his way until eventually falling into relevant work and now has a good job with an employer who is sponsoring his permanent residence. PM me if you would like details. I can also see if he is willing to give you an account of his experience.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Australian Andew will become famous soon enoughAustralian Andew will become famous soon enough

I would say Australia but thats because im an aussie.
I have recently moved to France on a working Holiday visa and dont speak any french...havent got any work yet....hence why i am on here looking to meet people.
I think it is a great idea to try something new and out of the comfort zone.
I also know most Australians love scotish people.
There is quite a bit of work there also.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
After my son graduated he decided to emigrate to Canada. He went out on a temporary visa under a scheme organised by a UK company (not sure if I am allowed to name them). He started work outside of his masters just to pay his way until eventually falling into relevant work and now has a good job with an employer who is sponsoring his permanent residence. PM me if you would like details. I can also see if he is willing to give you an account of his experience.
You're more than welcome to put the name of the company on, I assume it was Bunac? The trouble is that things change so often in immigration that what your son did may not be relevant anymore.

For instance, Bunac used to be he only way you could get a Working Holiday Visa, but now they've renamed the visa and you can get them direct from CIC, so Bunac aren't a lot of use!

HTH.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was Bunac that my son used. You are right about things constantly changing. Having decided to retire and leave the UK he tried to talk me into going to Canada under his sponsorship as a family member but that strategy is currently closed and there is no indication when it may restart. Too cold for my liking though.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Having decided to retire and leave the UK he tried to talk me into going to Canada under his sponsorship as a family member but that strategy is currently closed and there is no indication when it may restart.
Parental sponsorship is only closed because it's met the quota for the year, and will reopen for applications on 1st January.

Although unless your son is in coastal BC, you're right that it is a bit chilly for a lot of the year!
Old Oct 14th 2014, 8:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

gcf1685 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies and input. After a lot of looking around the site and other research, plus a couple of other factors, I have chosen to pursue moving to Warsaw, Poland. From what I can find, there does not seem to be a topic on the forum for Poland like a lot of other countries. Is this the case or am I just not finding it?!?

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:51 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There's no specific Poland subforum, however there's a general Europe forum so you can try posting there to see if anyone can answer further questions.

Good luck with your adventure! Europe - British Expats