Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

living and working in india

living and working in india

Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

clare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really nice
Default living and working in india

Hi Im a qualified fitness pro form the uk, and iv been offered a few positions in indai one in new delhi and the othet in hyderabad. Iv wanted to travel and work overseas for many years and now have the chance to. I am unable to work in the usa, canada, nz or austraila due to my work skills are not classed as a trade even though iv many fitness, management quals in leisure/fitness. Iv been in contact with an agency here in th uk who recruit highly qualified instructors to the middle east and/or india. Saudi i think is to strict and i dont think i could get used to their culture. India iv heard is more relaxed. The job spec iv been sent is for a head trainer so that is exactly what my expertise is in. Over here i cannot find a suitable job that reflects my experience and with the cuts as well every fitness job has at least 200 applicants! So as im totally fed up here and have no commitments and been in the industry for over 12 yrs i now feel if i dont take the chance i never will. And at the moment im doing the same boring thing all the time, plus the mentatility of the british is lousy- rude people, crime, bad goverment!! So i am looking for anyone out there who either has moved/travelled and worked in india or even better a fitness person who can give me some ideas on what to expect. I may need to go to london this week for an interview so i wish to have some more knowledge before i decide to attend.
A few people have blogged back to me saying that saudi is very strict and unless im in the complex i would need a driver to take me out anywhere outside of the compound.
Can anyone please help me as i am very keen to do as much research before so i can decide on my career. All accomodation, flights, food is included in this role both in india and middle east.
Also what are the fitness/spa/health clubs like? I also believe there is a new delhi running club as iv looked up on the internet. As a keen runner this would be one of my social activities as well!
Thanks Clare
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living and working in india

Originally Posted by clare hudson
Hi Im a qualified fitness pro form the uk, and iv been offered a few positions in indai one in new delhi and the othet in hyderabad. Iv wanted to travel and work overseas for many years and now have the chance to. I am unable to work in the usa, canada, nz or austraila due to my work skills are not classed as a trade even though iv many fitness, management quals in leisure/fitness. Iv been in contact with an agency here in th uk who recruit highly qualified instructors to the middle east and/or india. Saudi i think is to strict and i dont think i could get used to their culture. India iv heard is more relaxed. The job spec iv been sent is for a head trainer so that is exactly what my expertise is in. Over here i cannot find a suitable job that reflects my experience and with the cuts as well every fitness job has at least 200 applicants! So as im totally fed up here and have no commitments and been in the industry for over 12 yrs i now feel if i dont take the chance i never will. And at the moment im doing the same boring thing all the time, plus the mentatility of the british is lousy- rude people, crime, bad goverment!! So i am looking for anyone out there who either has moved/travelled and worked in india or even better a fitness person who can give me some ideas on what to expect. I may need to go to london this week for an interview so i wish to have some more knowledge before i decide to attend.
A few people have blogged back to me saying that saudi is very strict and unless im in the complex i would need a driver to take me out anywhere outside of the compound.
Can anyone please help me as i am very keen to do as much research before so i can decide on my career. All accomodation, flights, food is included in this role both in india and middle east.
Also what are the fitness/spa/health clubs like? I also believe there is a new delhi running club as iv looked up on the internet. As a keen runner this would be one of my social activities as well!
Thanks Clare
Hello and welcome to the site.

Have you ever been to India? I am curious to know what attracts you to the country. My husband has been there on holiday and to visit clients...but I haven't been there.

If you are interested in the Middle East I suggest you repost your questions in our Middle East forums. You could also take a look at our Rest Of The World Forums...you will see there is a sub forum for Goa.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page. If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names can be found at the bottom right hand side of the forum's index page. Moderators' names are printed in bold font...concierges' names are in standard font.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:38 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare,
We do have a forum for the Goa area, but other than that I don't think we have too many members who are based in India. However I'm sure that those who are in that part of the wold will be happy to give you some pointers. So a big welcome and I hope you will be happy on BE.

Sue
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:40 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare

Welcome to BE. As the nearest thing to the Indian concierge and someone who is qualified and experienced in fitness instruction, I feel I can give you some reasonable advice here.
Firstly if you haven't spent time in India I would strongly suggest you do so - - being at least partially familiar with Indian ways is absolutely essential. Secondly I must advise that you go onto our Goa forum and read some of the current threads about visas. A tourist visa is difficult enough to get these days let alone an employment visa ! You will find this forum by clicking 'forum index' on the pink bar at the top of the page, scroll down until you see the section entitled 'Rest of the world', double click on Goa below that and you're in. As a foreigner you will be treated with obvious racism at every stage - even when you will pay a higher price in shops!!
The Indian fitness industry is nothing like the UK - although the latest equipment is generally available, the mentality seems to be geared around men lifting as heavier weight as possible, and many instructors there are not well trained nor very competent (neandertholic is the closest description for some of the attitudes). I have personally seen some hideous practices going on, even with top instructors employed to personally train Bollywood stars.
I can almost see you thinking now how with your qualifications and experiences you could change this - forget it ! As a female, you will be in a male dominated arena - and they may smile at you and pretend to respect you, but then will just ignore you and carry on as before. Similarly as a foreigner you will be deeply resented by the locals - especially where you will be better atthe trade than they are. You will also find yourself bettling against the steroid and synthetic protein formulas.
That said I am sure there are some gyms out there who strive for the European industry standard, but these are very much the exception not the rule. My advice to you would be to look at the establishments which are Ayervedic and Yoga based rather than those where weight training is the main element.

On a positive note, I would feel the same as you about Saudi and it's rrestrictions, but there are several UAE countries where the rules are far more relaxed. My cousin worked as a fitness instructor in Muscat, Oman, and loved it. She made a fantastic career there and had the freedom to develop and design the fitness regimes at top hotels and beach clubs. There are similar opportunities in Dubai which has a thriving fitness industry run to Western standards.
If I had the choice you have at the moment I would most certainly look at a move to Oman or UAE rather than India - You will have more options to develop, you will earn more, you will be respected more, and you will have far less health risks. You can always visit India and it's a good place to learn some new skills like yoga and the like.

Hope this post is of help to you. Once again welcome aboard BE and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Dread - x
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:51 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and best wishes to you.

I agree with the last but if you do decide to go to India then forget Hyderabad. It is one of the newHi Tech cities but with an apalling infrastructure and almost permanently gridlocked traffic system. The only time I could run in the morning was at dawn with dogshit all over the place and not a few chasing me too.

Delhi and Mumbai are better. Good luck and don't give up on Saudi.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

clare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really niceclare hudson is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Clare

Welcome to BE. As the nearest thing to the Indian concierge and someone who is qualified and experienced in fitness instruction, I feel I can give you some reasonable advice here.
Firstly if you haven't spent time in India I would strongly suggest you do so - - being at least partially familiar with Indian ways is absolutely essential. Secondly I must advise that you go onto our Goa forum and read some of the current threads about visas. A tourist visa is difficult enough to get these days let alone an employment visa ! You will find this forum by clicking 'forum index' on the pink bar at the top of the page, scroll down until you see the section entitled 'Rest of the world', double click on Goa below that and you're in. As a foreigner you will be treated with obvious racism at every stage - even when you will pay a higher price in shops!!
The Indian fitness industry is nothing like the UK - although the latest equipment is generally available, the mentality seems to be geared around men lifting as heavier weight as possible, and many instructors there are not well trained nor very competent (neandertholic is the closest description for some of the attitudes). I have personally seen some hideous practices going on, even with top instructors employed to personally train Bollywood stars.
I can almost see you thinking now how with your qualifications and experiences you could change this - forget it ! As a female, you will be in a male dominated arena - and they may smile at you and pretend to respect you, but then will just ignore you and carry on as before. Similarly as a foreigner you will be deeply resented by the locals - especially where you will be better atthe trade than they are. You will also find yourself bettling against the steroid and synthetic protein formulas.
That said I am sure there are some gyms out there who strive for the European industry standard, but these are very much the exception not the rule. My advice to you would be to look at the establishments which are Ayervedic and Yoga based rather than those where weight training is the main element.

On a positive note, I would feel the same as you about Saudi and it's rrestrictions, but there are several UAE countries where the rules are far more relaxed. My cousin worked as a fitness instructor in Muscat, Oman, and loved it. She made a fantastic career there and had the freedom to develop and design the fitness regimes at top hotels and beach clubs. There are similar opportunities in Dubai which has a thriving fitness industry run to Western standards.
If I had the choice you have at the moment I would most certainly look at a move to Oman or UAE rather than India - You will have more options to develop, you will earn more, you will be respected more, and you will have far less health risks. You can always visit India and it's a good place to learn some new skills like yoga and the like.

Hope this post is of help to you. Once again welcome aboard BE and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Dread - x
Hi thanks for that. The actual job is through ang agency in the UK and they recruit on behalf of the country, saudi /india. The job role in both includes a full expat pakeage i.e accomodation, food, visa, so this is not an issue etc. The job in india is either in new deli or hyberabad im not sure until the interview. The role is for a head fitness trainer so I would be responsible for the staff and over seeing the club ( ozone fitness club). In saudi its more of a general fitness role with the chance to personal train the rich ladies at a luxury club, but the life there is very strict we live in a complex and i would like to know what the complex facilities have- shops, gym etc. Iv been told india is great and saudi is great. Iv been to india many years ago on holiday this was Goa but in a super hotel, but really am not in a position to visit first then decide. The jobs for both start pretty soon as they want someone asap, so I will need to really think my options and gather as much info during the interview. Its hard to decide as I would only be going off what iv been told in the interview so would have to think which country would suit me better. People in india say that as an expat I would fit in better than saudi so getting alot of mixed responses! I need to decide after iv been told more about both job roles really.
Any more advice would be great thanks alot.
Clare
Old Oct 31st 2010, 2:42 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for that. The actual job is through ang agency in the UK and they recruit on behalf of the country, saudi /india. The job role in both includes a full expat pakeage i.e accomodation, food, visa, so this is not an issue etc. The job in india is either in new deli or hyberabad im not sure until the interview. The role is for a head fitness trainer so I would be responsible for the staff and over seeing the club ( ozone fitness club). In saudi its more of a general fitness role with the chance to personal train the rich ladies at a luxury club, but the life there is very strict we live in a complex and i would like to know what the complex facilities have- shops, gym etc. Iv been told india is great and saudi is great. Iv been to india many years ago on holiday this was Goa but in a super hotel, but really am not in a position to visit first then decide. The jobs for both start pretty soon as they want someone asap, so I will need to really think my options and gather as much info during the interview. Its hard to decide as I would only be going off what iv been told in the interview so would have to think which country would suit me better. People in india say that as an expat I would fit in better than saudi so getting alot of mixed responses! I need to decide after iv been told more about both job roles really.
Any more advice would be great thanks alot.
Clare
Hi Clare

Who says you will fit it better in India? Have the people telling you this lived in India and worked in the Indian fitness industry? If not ignore them - it's one thing travelling India as tourist, quite another living there, where it is not a relaxed place and you will have to observe some serious modesty in order to live and work there.
I would be tentatively more positive if you were going out there being offered the job of setting up and running a place - as the top person, but this is not what is being offered? Head trainer in an Indian fitness centre is just that, one up from basic trainer !
India thrives on corruption and dishonesty, so expect those in charge of you to be involved even if only at low level.
I am au fait with Ozone and personally don't rate them. Too many mis shapen body builders performing contra indicated exercises taught to them at these establishments - and don't be under the illusion that being head trainer will change this - it won't. My survey was that many of the so called big tough body builders will have significant disabling repetitive strain injuries by the age of 40.
Remember this too, you will be interviewed by a 'recruitment' company who will only tell you the job description given to them by the Indian company. As with everything Indian, expect less than promised !
I can't make your mind up for you and I'm sorrry if this seems very negative, but I am speaking from personal knowledge having evaluated the Indian fitness industry as I too considered this as a possible route. I am giving you this so if you do go there you will at least be informed of what you are going to find.
Saudi may have some strange customs and stuff which sound awful, but I know a lot of single females working out there in nursing and other fields who despite some of the strict rules, live a fantastic life. Saudi wins out financially as well.

Up to you but I know which one I would do

Dread - eyes open
x

Dread - eyes wide open
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: living and working in india

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Clare

Who says you will fit it better in India? Have the people telling you this lived in India and worked in the Indian fitness industry? If not ignore them - it's one thing travelling India as tourist, quite another living there, where it is not a relaxed place and you will have to observe some serious modesty in order to live and work there.
I would be tentatively more positive if you were going out there being offered the job of setting up and running a place - as the top person, but this is not what is being offered? Head trainer in an Indian fitness centre is just that, one up from basic trainer !
India thrives on corruption and dishonesty, so expect those in charge of you to be involved even if only at low level.
I am au fait with Ozone and personally don't rate them. Too many mis shapen body builders performing contra indicated exercises taught to them at these establishments - and don't be under the illusion that being head trainer will change this - it won't. My survey was that many of the so called big tough body builders will have significant disabling repetitive strain injuries by the age of 40.
Remember this too, you will be interviewed by a 'recruitment' company who will only tell you the job description given to them by the Indian company. As with everything Indian, expect less than promised !
I can't make your mind up for you and I'm sorrry if this seems very negative, but I am speaking from personal knowledge having evaluated the Indian fitness industry as I too considered this as a possible route. I am giving you this so if you do go there you will at least be informed of what you are going to find.
Saudi may have some strange customs and stuff which sound awful, but I know a lot of single females working out there in nursing and other fields who despite some of the strict rules, live a fantastic life. Saudi wins out financially as well.

Up to you but I know which one I would do

Dread - eyes open
x

Dread - eyes wide open
Thanks,
The people that were telling me India is good and I would settle better were actual locals living and working and other expats from other countries ( one who said his girlfriend lived there for 8 years and loved it),so a mixed bag really. Im concerned as a white british woman would I mix and get along with the staff at the gym? As you said you dont rate ozone either?! So although the agency did say that india not the best option for me ( she did say that she really would prefer to send a guy there as opposed to a woman, but my choice at this stage) as the poverty is high and other issues. So they did pre warn me but I have still asked for an interview so I can they ask the employer as much info, and then I may think no way I think Saudi the better option. So you think really Saudi is the best option? I know that saudi is cleaner, strict, and very, very rich, that I would be better. Im concerned that these saudi ladies treat us UK expats low as they know they pay our wages and they have more money than we would ever dream about, so from this angle I need more advice. The agency said that I would be more better in Saudi than India.
Do you have any knowledge of the compounds we live are like? Iv been told they are like a small city and very nice. Im not sure of the living in India, I dont think this is a complex but again not been given that info yet.
Are you now in the UK or still out there and what exactly did you do in India in reguards to fitness?
Thanks Clare
P.S where did you get the name "dread"!!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:34 pm

Thanks,
The people that were telling me India is good and I would settle better were actual locals living and working and other expats from other countries ( one who said his girlfriend lived there for 8 years and loved it),so a mixed bag really. Im concerned as a white british woman would I mix and get along with the staff at the gym? As you said you dont rate ozone either?! So although the agency did say that india not the best option for me ( she did say that she really would prefer to send a guy there as opposed to a woman, but my choice at this stage) as the poverty is high and other issues. So they did pre warn me but I have still asked for an interview so I can they ask the employer as much info, and then I may think no way I think Saudi the better option. So you think really Saudi is the best option? I know that saudi is cleaner, strict, and very, very rich, that I would be better. Im concerned that these saudi ladies treat us UK expats low as they know they pay our wages and they have more money than we would ever dream about, so from this angle I need more advice. The agency said that I would be more better in Saudi than India.
Do you have any knowledge of the compounds we live are like? Iv been told they are like a small city and very nice. Im not sure of the living in India, I dont think this is a complex but again not been given that info yet.
Are you now in the UK or still out there and what exactly did you do in India in reguards to fitness?
Thanks Clare
P.S where did you get the name "dread"!!

Hi Clare

Just so the welcome forum doesn't get clogged up I shall pm you.
I think you should listen to the agency - if they are saying that India is no a good move for you, they obviously have pretty good reasons for saying this.

Dread - x