Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

keep or sell house in uk

keep or sell house in uk

Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

cazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nicecazb1 is just really nice
Default keep or sell house in uk

Hi, have just joined forum and hoping to find some advice. We are moving to oz in September and with the current strength of the oz dollar we don't know whether to sell up or keep house and rent it out until dollar goes down. Also, if we leave the country and keep our house rented will we get hit by capital gains or similar tax? Welcome any advice. Carolyn
Old Jun 5th 2010, 8:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: keep or sell house in uk

Welcome to BE

This is just a spot to introduce yourselves though.

You want to check out the Aus section - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Old Jun 5th 2010, 9:05 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cazb1
Hi, have just joined forum and hoping to find some advice. We are moving to oz in September and with the current strength of the oz dollar we don't know whether to sell up or keep house and rent it out until dollar goes down. Also, if we leave the country and keep our house rented will we get hit by capital gains or similar tax? Welcome any advice. Carolyn
Welcome to the Forum, Bob has shown you the way to the Aus section but dont forget the WIKI Lots of questions already answered in there. Predicting the market is anyones guess, You wouldn't be liable for capital gains if you kept the house and rented. Income tax is another issue though.

You'd be better off posting the questions in the Aus section. More folk will see it and respond.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazb1
Hello Carolyn...I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to BE.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions about Australia as I live in the US.
I see you've already been given the link to our Australia Forums...please repost your questions in there. We have a huge British expat membership who live down under...so I'm sure you'll get helpful answers in that forum.

If you need assistance finding your way around please contact a mod or admin...we will be pleased to help you.

Good luck.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. You have to go with what's best for you and at your time of move.
Don't forget there's always reasons for selling beyond our/your control so don't forget to factor in having to sell but remotely from the other side of the world? (Aswell as manage a rental. no matter how much local help you have it's always your responsibility)
Maybe sell but not move the money immediately?

Not relevant perhaps but we sold and had a chunk of change. We bought in the US and now are moving back. We didn't move all our money over to buy here. Reason for moving back is medical so an example of the unknowns that can crop up.
We have obviously lost money overall if you look at net worth before and after but don't regret the decision to sell initially.

Good luck!