Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Just Joined this site

Just Joined this site

Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Deefran will become famous soon enoughDeefran will become famous soon enough
Default Just Joined this site

Hi all. This site was mentioned to me whilst in Canada this week so I thought I would have a look. I have applied to become a permanent resident to Canada and have been waiting for almost 4 years. I look forward to gaining tips and info on this site. I have heard its very good and have a great bunch of members.

Last edited by Deefran; Jul 1st 2011 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Joined this site

Originally Posted by Deefran
Hi all. This site was mentioned to me whilst in Canada this week so I thought I would have a look. I have applied to become a permanent resident to Canada and have been waiting for almost 4 years. I look forward to gaining tips and info on this site. I have heard its very good and have a great bunch of members.
Hi and welcome to BE.

I see you have Yorkshire as your location...I'm from Sheffield...where are you from?

I'm pleased to see you've already started to post in our Canada Forum. We have a lively group of posters...they will pleased to help with any questions you may have about Canada. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out if you need help with anything.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the welcome and info. I am just about finding my way around the site slowly but making some progress. thanks again
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome from Spain.

Enjoy your reading of the various forums and join in with the questions that this raises for you and of course if you can answer other peoples questions they will be grateful for your input.

Rosemary
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. Its really good.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:55 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Just Joined this site

Originally Posted by Deefran
Hello and welcome Deefran,

I left England for Canada 40 years ago, but I had been over before and had relatives I came to, (and in that I was very lucky). Things are much more complicated now. Older Britons used to tell me one simply stepped off the boat, but those days are gone.

Quebec is another world. I started out there and lived there for many years, but English Canada is very much more like the USA, you'll only find it slightly more ‘English’, or at least Americans think so. (Why I'll never know, because the Yanks still use English measure –their pints, quarts & gallons are a little smaller than ours were– but the Canadians went metric about 35 years ago, yet in every day life, just as in Britain, if one ask for a pound of this, or so many feet of that, it's still understood and even common place, so nothing to worry about).

But as you say, you've been over and had a look round. I think most expats fancy British Columbia where the weather is described as ‘England with mountains!’, the rest can be EVERY bit as__C O L D__in winter as it's infamous for and so you'll want the right kit, and unless it's a VERY mild winter –if you're anything like I was–your first one will be a shock! (But after that, one gets used to it).

There are many on this site who are both au fait and current with the immigration laws of today, where I am not, but as far as becoming accustomed to things, I should be more than happy –just like so many other here– to help ease the transition...and inevitable culture shock.

With every good wish,
Christian

Last edited by Christian; Jul 3rd 2011 at 5:38 pm.