Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

I'm coming home!

I'm coming home!

Old Sep 18th 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

pfaulds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm coming home!

After just 5 years of living in the US I've decided enough is enough and I'm heading back to dear old Scotland. My wife(an american) just filed for a settlement visa on Wednesday evening and made her appointment for biometrics for Sept 30th. Does anyone know roughly how long the whole process takes? Oh, and does she need to get a work visa before we get there or once we arrive - or does she not need one at all?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for these kind of questions, I'll get better - promise!
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:21 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm coming home!

Hi Pfaulds

Welcome to BE and thanks you for the introduction.
You have not posted onto the wrong thread as the information you give here helps us to guide you to the right forum to assist you.
In your case, I think you would find the forum entitled "Moving back to the UK"very useful, as like you many Brit folks (and Scots !!) have returned home from overseas with partners who need visas, so the can give you all the tips and advice you need to make the process easier for you.

You will find the 'Moving back to the UK' forum by pressing the 'forum index' button on the pink bar at the top of this page. Scroll down through the listed countries and you will see the forum title at the end of that section. Just double click and you're in. Then just introduce yourself on there and feel free to post as amny questions as you wish - as well as join in any of the other threads on there.

If yu need any further help navigating the site, please come back to us here and we will do our best to help.

Good luck with the visa stuff and your move... and 'Welcome home'.

Dread - x
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm coming home!

Originally Posted by pfaulds
After just 5 years of living in the US I've decided enough is enough and I'm heading back to dear old Scotland. My wife(an american) just filed for a settlement visa on Wednesday evening and made her appointment for biometrics for Sept 30th. Does anyone know roughly how long the whole process takes? Oh, and does she need to get a work visa before we get there or once we arrive - or does she not need one at all?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for these kind of questions, I'll get better - promise!
Hello and welcome to BE.

Dreadsoc has given you the link to our Moving Back To The UK Forum. That forum is the best place to ask questions about moving back home...also take a look in the BE Wiki. Many of the members in that forum have moved back or are in the process of moving back to the UK...so I'm sure you'll get plenty of help and support.

Please shout out if you need any help...there's ususally a mod or admin around 24/7.

Good luck.