Howdy!

Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Howdy! [UK -> Canada]

I've been lurking here for a while, but as the prospect of actually becoming expats becomes more real, it seems like it's about time I joined in .

My wife and I have been talking about moving to Canada if the opportunity presented itself since we got married, over 10 years ago. I lived in Montreal when I was young, and my mum was born in Ontario, so I'm a Canadian/UK dual citizen. Since we first talked about it, we've added some kids to our family - a 4yo boy and 1yo twin girls. And over the last year, my work has changed enough so I'm now self-employed and location-independent. I can move and my income moves with me. So the opportunity is very much presenting itself.

We took a recce trip out to Montreal in September last year, and it was hard work, but Montreal was great. Traveling anywhere without all the things you take for granted at home, with tiny kids, isn't easy. Being without the car, and taking the buggy on the metro and buses, was especially awkward. But we managed to do a lot, and my enthusiasm for moving has only grown since then. The biodome, botanical gardens (with the lanterns!), the food, the friendly people, the space - so much to like. And the buggy years don't last forever .

My other half is a bit more nervous (understandably) having never really lived outside of Sussex, but she's warming to the idea. We're going through the passport and visas process now with a view to moving next year. We're both learning French as well.

Any advice or tips on what it's like moving with young kids to somewhere entirely new would be very welcome .

And, hi!

Last edited by OtherDave; Mar 30th 2017 at 3:53 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 5:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howdy! [UK -> Canada]

Howdy Dave, welcome to BE

Thanks for the introduction and telling us about your plans. Big plans they are, too! You sound very clued up about the visa side of things, for general discussions about moving to and living in Canada here's the place you want Canada - British Expats You'll see on this page that there's another one that is specifically for questions/discussions re visas, which may come in handy too.

As a new poster to BE, please have a look at the site rules when you get a chance, and if you run into any site related problems please contact one of our friendly moderators.

Wishing you, your wife and your three littlies happy trails!
Old Mar 31st 2017, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howdy!

Thanks .

I've been lurking in the Canada forums for a few weeks and they look great. That wiki, especially - what a fantastic resource!
Old Mar 31st 2017, 7:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howdy!

Originally Posted by OtherDave
Thanks .

I've been lurking in the Canada forums for a few weeks and they look great. That wiki, especially - what a fantastic resource!
BE was my Bible when I applied for my UK spouse visa from Australia. Agree about the resources, especially the wikis. Some great people on this forum, so willing to point people in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing you around the place