Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to the U.S.A, help please.

Hoping to move to the U.S.A, help please.

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:37 am
Just Joined

ClockworkDolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to the U.S.A, help please.

Hi, i joined this site because i am planning to move to the US to live with my fiance and get married. However, i have no idea where i should start and i find the whole paperwork thing rather daunting. Not the mention the Medical required. I'd like to know how to get started and what to expect from the whole process, any advice and information would be helpful. I've tried the US Embassy site but honestly there's so much legal jargon on there i might as well be reading a site about how to feed a dinosaur with a teaspoon, it's incredibly complicated.

I've looked through this site but i've not really had a chance to read through, throroughly yet.

My main questions are 'AAAHHH OMG what do i do first?' and 'AAH medical sounds scary, whats going to happen are they going to poke around a lot?'

Anyway, thank you kindly.

-Dolly
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to the U.S.A, help please.

Originally Posted by ClockworkDolly
Hi, i joined this site because i am planning to move to the US to live with my fiance and get married. However, i have no idea where i should start and i find the whole paperwork thing rather daunting. Not the mention the Medical required. I'd like to know how to get started and what to expect from the whole process, any advice and information would be helpful. I've tried the US Embassy site but honestly there's so much legal jargon on there i might as well be reading a site about how to feed a dinosaur with a teaspoon, it's incredibly complicated.

I've looked through this site but i've not really had a chance to read through, thoroughly yet.

My main questions are 'AAAHHH OMG what do i do first?' and 'AAH medical sounds scary, whats going to happen are they going to poke around a lot?'

-Dolly
Hi Dolly,

Welcome to BE. I know exactly how you feel, moving abroad can be very daunting can't it. The first thing you should do is to read through our wiki. It's full of info from members who have shared experiences and tips on it. Then dive in and post in the Marriage Based Immigration forum. We've got lots of members who have been, or are going through, the move themselves and I am sure they will be happy to chat with you about the process.

In the meantime if you have any questions about the site please give me a shout.

Sue
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClockworkDolly

I've looked through this site but i've not really had a chance to read through, throroughly yet.

-Dolly
Hello, Dolly!

Start with the Fiance Visa wiki if you want to marry in the US http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1 and then jump over to the forum and read a few posts. There are some great posts about the medical that will set your mind to rest, but there is a LOT to do before you get to that point!

The wiki will help you see what you need to do first, and the good news is, it's the US citizen's job to make the first move, so get him motivated!

See you in the immigration forum soon.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

ClockworkDolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you forthe help, i will try and read through the links you've suggested.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Good luck with your journey....though it's worth spending perhaps a weekend just reading through those links above, if nothing else to get your head around the lingo and an idea about the kind of questions you might have that'll help you out.

Not to mention there are quite a few threads on the subject of peoples experiences that are worth reading so you have some idea of things.

Read as much as you can and learn as much as you can and people will help out loads and gladly do so, getting the most out of the site but if you don't, the reception might not be as hot