Hiya!

Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:43 pm
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice
Smile Hiya!

I guess I kind of did this backwards...oops! Sorry for not introducing myself sooner. My name is Nejicano and I'm was an American expat in the UK up until 2 1/2 months ago. I've been lurking around this site for a several months, but only got up the courage to actually start posting a few months ago. Thank you to everybody for being so welcoming! I know I'm not exactly who this site was created for, but it really is helping me with my transition back to America in it's own way.

A bit about myself. I was in England for three years earning my degree in Broadcast Journalism. I now live in the LA area and frequently find myself at World Market just to look at the McVities. Sad but true. My new friends in the US tease me because I pronounce some words differently (they've all taken to saying "literally" the way I do as a joke, just the way my British friends used to tease me for my American accent and use internet slang [because apparently that's a really American thing to do?])

Anyway, you'll probably see me poking around the question threads in the US section trying to lend a helping hand. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel the want/need.

~Nej xxx
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiya!

Originally Posted by nejicano
I guess I kind of did this backwards...oops! Sorry for not introducing myself sooner. My name is Nejicano and I'm was an American expat in the UK up until 2 1/2 months ago. I've been lurking around this site for a several months, but only got up the courage to actually start posting a few months ago. Thank you to everybody for being so welcoming! I know I'm not exactly who this site was created for, but it really is helping me with my transition back to America in it's own way.

A bit about myself. I was in England for three years earning my degree in Broadcast Journalism. I now live in the LA area and frequently find myself at World Market just to look at the McVities. Sad but true. My new friends in the US tease me because I pronounce some words differently (they've all taken to saying "literally" the way I do as a joke, just the way my British friends used to tease me for my American accent and use internet slang [because apparently that's a really American thing to do?])

Anyway, you'll probably see me poking around the question threads in the US section trying to lend a helping hand. Feel free to PM me if you ever feel the want/need.

~Nej xxx
Hello Nej and welcome.

I've just been reading one of your posts in the US forum. Don't worry we have plenty of American members...so you're not alone...even a few that have lived in the UK like yourself.

You seem to be finding your way around the forums quite well but if you need any help the concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:09 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Cheers, Jerseygirl, and thank you for the warm welcome! I'm glad to hear I won't be the only crazy American running around on here, haha!

I'm really looking forward to getting to know people better, and hopefully helping out if I'm able. I just remember how confusing and frustrating my move to England was. I didn't know anybody who had lived in the UK for any period of time before, and I definitely didn't have any idea on how the whole immigration thing worked. But it all worked out, and now I just really want to help out somebody in a similar situation if I can.

And that reminds me, the 31st of October was the day my student visa officially expired. Sad times!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, Jerseygirl, and thank you for the warm welcome! I'm glad to hear I won't be the only crazy American running around on here, haha!

I'm really looking forward to getting to know people better, and hopefully helping out if I'm able. I just remember how confusing and frustrating my move to England was. I didn't know anybody who had lived in the UK for any period of time before, and I definitely didn't have any idea on how the whole immigration thing worked. But it all worked out, and now I just really want to help out somebody in a similar situation if I can.

And that reminds me, the 31st of October was the day my student visa officially expired. Sad times!
I'm pleased you enjoyed your time in the UK and that it all worked out for you...you can extend that time now by logging on here.

There's a site for Americans in the UK....UK Yankee...you may be able to help future students going to the UK in that forum.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Negicano - I just wanted to pop in to welcome you as well. I'm sure you'll like it here, BE is full of good people.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:36 am
Americano

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm pleased you enjoyed your time in the UK and that it all worked out for you...you can extend that time now by logging on here.

There's a site for Americans in the UK....UK Yankee...you may be able to help future students going to the UK in that forum.
That was exactly my thought! Until I can finally get back over there, I'm very happy to be a part of this online community.

Thanks for the information about that site. I'm definitely going to look into it!

Thanks for the welcome, Kaffy! Your name made me think of Kendall mint cakes, haha!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome, Kaffy! Your name made me think of Kendall mint cakes, haha!
I'm actually American. My screenname was given to me by the BE posters ... long story.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 8:06 am
Americano

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I'm actually American. My screenname was given to me by the BE posters ... long story.
haha, nice! I love nicknames friends give. Nejicano was a nickname from my friends.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

haha, nice! I love nicknames friends give. Nejicano was a nickname from my friends.
And what does Neijcano mean?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:32 am
Americano

And what does Neijcano mean?
It's weird. Basically, this guy on my course gave everybody nicknames, and mine was Nej. I don't think any of the Brits were prepared for my intense love for all things Starbucks. Being from the Seattle area, it's kind of bred into you, but anyway, I sometimes called myself the Americano as a joke for being American and in love with coffee, then that morphed into Nejicano.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's weird. Basically, this guy on my course gave everybody nicknames, and mine was Nej. I don't think any of the Brits were prepared for my intense love for all things Starbucks. Being from the Seattle area, it's kind of bred into you, but anyway, I sometimes called myself the Americano as a joke for being American and in love with coffee, then that morphed into Nejicano.
No weirder than mine! I once said I thought Kendall was a nice name for a little girl. The rest is history.

If you think you're into coffee, have you been to New Zealand? I didn't know what half the options were!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:02 am
Americano

No weirder than mine! I once said I thought Kendall was a nice name for a little girl. The rest is history.

If you think you're into coffee, have you been to New Zealand? I didn't know what half the options were!
HA, that's brilliant! I love fun stories like that.

I have been to New Zealand, actually. I wasn't really able to fully appreciate the coffee there though as we were there in a big group and I couldn't just go out and get coffee. I'm quite anxious to get back and try it though! All I remember, and it was very distinct, was that I saw my first McCafe in Auckland, and it was shocking. It was more upscale than any one I've seen to this day, and the whole concept was (no pun intended) just so foreign. I mean, McDonalds and posh in the same sentence? But it actually was at this place, and they appeared to have legit coffee drinks (no idea how they tasted)! And now they've got McCafe's everywhere.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:20 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nejicano

Welcome to BE from me too - love the tale of how you got your name.
So you're a coffee monster eh? I hope you tried our very own English Whittards when you were here - my coffee fiend brother loves their coffees !!

I know what you mean about Mcvities - you can't beat a choccie digestive with a coffee or tea.........................yum!
I am usually found lurking on the Goa forum and definitely miss proper biscuits when i am out there - others just don't taste the same!!!

Good luck and hope you enjoy the fun and banter to be had on the forums...... you can always have a packet of McV's while you chat......

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Nov 6th 2010 at 9:43 am.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:31 pm
Americano

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Nejicano

Welcome to BE from me too - love the tale of how you got your name.
So you're a coffee monster eh? I hope you tried our very own English Whittards when you were here - my coffee fiend brother loves their coffees !!

I know what you mean about Mcvities - you can't beat a choccie digestive with a coffee or tea.........................yum!
I am usually found lurking on the Goa forum and definitely miss proper biscuits when i am out there - others just don't taste the same!!!

Good luck and hope you enjoy the fun and banter to be had on the forums...... you can always have a packet of McV's while you chat......

Dread - x
Hey Dread!

O Whittards...how I miss thee! I just liked going in there to look at the adorable tea pots! Sadly, I couldn't really afford to get the coffee or teas. A bit too expensive for me. It always smelt so lovely in there though! I always stuck to my Starbucks though, and Starbucks cards were the easiest thing to ship over for holidays, so I had a lot of them, haha!

So you go between Goa and the UK? I've always wanted to visit there, it seems like a really beautiful place! You lucky thing!

So far, I'm loving it here. Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming. I really appreciate that! As for the McVitties...perhaps on my next payday, I'll splurge and go to World Market. Definitely craving them though! O my goodness, no biscuit can compare!

~Nej
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:19 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dread!

O Whittards...how I miss thee! I just liked going in there to look at the adorable tea pots! Sadly, I couldn't really afford to get the coffee or teas. A bit too expensive for me. It always smelt so lovely in there though! I always stuck to my Starbucks though, and Starbucks cards were the easiest thing to ship over for holidays, so I had a lot of them, haha!

So you go between Goa and the UK? I've always wanted to visit there, it seems like a really beautiful place! You lucky thing!

So far, I'm loving it here. Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming. I really appreciate that! As for the McVitties...perhaps on my next payday, I'll splurge and go to World Market. Definitely craving them though! O my goodness, no biscuit can compare!

~Nej

Oh dear Nej...... you really are in mourning for McV's aren't you. Which ones are your favourite?

Goa is a lovely place - but the biscuits there are terrible!!!!
That said last season I found a little bakery who did the most gorgeous Viennese whirl bisciuts, which did help !!
They try to fool you out there by selling Kit kats and Cadbury bars - but they are not real and do not taste the same !!

Dread - x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.