Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi, Uk to Nova Scotia (hopefully)

Hi, Uk to Nova Scotia (hopefully)

Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

sherrie1420 is a jewel in the roughsherrie1420 is a jewel in the roughsherrie1420 is a jewel in the roughsherrie1420 is a jewel in the rough
Default Hi, Uk to Nova Scotia (hopefully)

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are hoping to up sticks and move the family (3 kids and dog) from sunny Wales to Nova Scotia. We have been researching for about 8years and feel now is the time to start the process. The reason its taken this long is when our eldest was 1, we visitied Toronto and loved it. We were hoping to find jobs and apply for PM as soon as we got back. Then we found out I was pregnant with "2. We settled into family life here and our dream hasn't died. We have had a few setbacks, we were supposed to go for a recce in May this year, but I was ill at christmas and had to cancel. Now all better, we have a new found urgency to start a new life. My hubby works for ADT fire and security as an install tech so we are hoping to go the intra-company transfer route. Any advice about jobs, education or life in general would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Sherrie
Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, Uk to Nova Scotia (hopefully)

Originally Posted by sherrie1420
Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are hoping to up sticks and move the family (3 kids and dog) from sunny Wales to Nova Scotia. We have been researching for about 8years and feel now is the time to start the process. The reason its taken this long is when our eldest was 1, we visitied Toronto and loved it. We were hoping to find jobs and apply for PM as soon as we got back. Then we found out I was pregnant with "2. We settled into family life here and our dream hasn't died. We have had a few setbacks, we were supposed to go for a recce in May this year, but I was ill at christmas and had to cancel. Now all better, we have a new found urgency to start a new life. My hubby works for ADT fire and security as an install tech so we are hoping to go the intra-company transfer route. Any advice about jobs, education or life in general would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Sherrie
Hey Sherrie...welcome to BE.

We have quite a few members living in NS and many more in the Toronto area. They will be pleased to answer any questions you may have about moving to Canada. It would be best if you repost your questions in the Canada forums...I will give you a few links to help you find your feet around BE.

If you click on this link it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions. Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page.

The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Please shout out should you require further help...there's usually someone around 24/7.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sherrie ... & welcome to BE! Fingers crossed for you that your plan nicely clicks into place.

Oggy
Old Aug 8th 2011, 7:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sherrie,

Just wanted to pop by and say hi. I see you are getting stuck in around the Canada forum and hope that you are enjoying being part of our community.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 9th 2011, 3:05 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sherrie

Welcome to BE from me too and glad you seem to be finding your feet in the Canada forum.
Good luck with your plans

Dread - x
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:36 pm
Happy Helper

Buddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud of

Sherrie: I live in Nova Scotia now (10 years) after 26 years in the Toronto area. I can understand you falling in love with Toronto as did we way back when, but there is no indication why you have chosen Nova Scotia. The two locations are very, very different. Maybe you can elaborate. Don't expect anything like Toronto here in Nova Scotia.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 11:04 am
Just Joined

sherrie1420 is a jewel in the roughsherrie1420 is a jewel in the roughsherrie1420 is a jewel in the roughsherrie1420 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Buddyboy
Sherrie: I live in Nova Scotia now (10 years) after 26 years in the Toronto area. I can understand you falling in love with Toronto as did we way back when, but there is no indication why you have chosen Nova Scotia. The two locations are very, very different. Maybe you can elaborate. Don't expect anything like Toronto here in Nova Scotia.
Hi, while we loved Toronto we didnt feel like it was the place to bring up our children. We are after a slower pace of life, where they can play and explore. Our dream would be to have a small holding in a semi rural location. We live in Caerphilly at the moment which is about 10 miles north of Cardiff. I was brought up in a small village in the Welsh Valleys and understand the differences between town and country. We feel that Nova Scotia will give us the way of life we desire while giving our children many opportunities. We are planning recce trips and haven't as yet set any firm sights on areas. Why did you choose Nova Scotia after Toronto? Any insights you may have could be invaluable to us.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:04 pm
Happy Helper

Buddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud of

Hi Sherie: From what you say then, Nova Scotia may well be what you are looking for. I lived in Milton, Ontario, just west of Toronto, from 1975 through 2001 when I retired with my wife at age 53. We chose Nova Scotia because the pace is much slower, the scenery is superb, the weather is (in our opinion) great (same latitude as Monte Carlo), and the people are wonderful. But, a big but, we are on pension and do not have to worry about income. As good as Nova Scotia is, it can be a harsh place to be looking for work. Of course, that depends on your skills and qualifications, as well as where in the province you might live. In short, if you can support yourself and your family here, I think there is no better place.

Personally I live in a tiny village on the South Shore. I just posted a little video of the place which shows a little of the peaceful environment. See it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBZROg_Zlw Ask away for anything specific if you think I can help.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:44 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherrie1420
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Sherrie
Hello and welcome, Sherrie,

The one thing I can tell you about folks from Nova Scotia is that their hospitality is unmatched! There's no such thing as a stranger, simply folks they haven't had the chance to meet yet. (These people are so kind hearted they'll even ask in the Jehovah's Witnesses). Knock on the door and they'll invite you in for tea ... knock at dinner and they'll insist you stay for the meal.

Jerseygirl seems to have you well set up for links and contacts here, and so I'll simply bid you greetings from Ontario Canada!

With every good wish,
Christian