Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi! Moving to Colorado hopefully soonish

Hi! Moving to Colorado hopefully soonish

Old Nov 16th 2016, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

RantMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi! Moving to Colorado hopefully soonish

Hi there! I'm Ollie, and right now I'm getting ready to start the immigration journey towards joining my wife in Denver, CO. An amazing career opportunity for her came out of the blue, and it meant a move back home to the USA... we both agreed that it wasn't a chance to miss, so that's where she is now.

Unfortunately, home for me is Cambridgeshire, so I need to start applying for a visa! We've spent a good bit of time looking at what is involved, got plenty of proof of relationship (more photo albums and holiday receipts than you can shake a stick at, and then some), etc etc... But we're not sure about whether to bother with an immigration lawyer ($4000, ouch!) or just do the paperwork ourselves.

And so, I'm here - hoping to find out about other folks experiences of applying for marital visas, and even more hopefully to get to know some Brits who have already landed in Denver!
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Moving to Colorado hopefully soonish

Hi and Welcome to BE

Congratulations to your wife on the career front. Now you will have the opportunity to experience life in the US. You will get a mix of feelings about life in the US from the majority of Brits who frequent the US forums. Not everyone's cup of tea but most will tell you that monetarily, it was a good move for them and they were and are able to experience a different lifestyle here in the US as opposed to the UK. Particularly in the form of houses. More house and land for your money which means a different type of living style.

Since you are coming to the US via a marriage-based visa, one of the easiest ways to get residency in the US, you need to step on over to the marriage-based visa forum for advice on the IR-1 visa which your wife will start for you here in the US and you will continue there in the UK. Here's the link to the forum: Marriage Based Visas - British Expats

Damn shame she did not start the process while she was still domiciled in the UK. Would have cut months often the time you will have to be apart. Oh well, things are what they are.

As for needing an attorney, most of us have all done the process alone and the members have several have knowledgeable people who can assist you with your questions.

Please join us not only in the marriage-based visa forum but in the general US forum as well. I know you will have questions that can be answered there, i.e. driver's license, car registration, house purchasing, establishing credit, getting a social security card/number, etc.

Welcome aboard.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

RantMachine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the welcome! I'll pop on over and have a look in the marriage-based visa forum right now, cheers for pointing me in the right direction. And of course, I'll certainly be paying a visit to the general US forum!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Hi and Welcome to BE

Congratulations to your wife on the career front. Now you will have the opportunity to experience life in the US. You will get a mix of feelings about life in the US from the majority of Brits who frequent the US forums. Not everyone's cup of tea but most will tell you that monetarily, it was a good move for them and they were and are able to experience a different lifestyle here in the US as opposed to the UK. Particularly in the form of houses. More house and land for your money which means a different type of living style.

Since you are coming to the US via a marriage-based visa, one of the easiest ways to get residency in the US, you need to step on over to the marriage-based visa forum for advice on the IR-1 visa which your wife will start for you here in the US and you will continue there in the UK. Here's the link to the forum: Marriage Based Visas - British Expats

Damn shame she did not start the process while she was still domiciled in the UK. Would have cut months often the time you will have to be apart. Oh well, things are what they are.

As for needing an attorney, most of us have all done the process alone and the members have several have knowledgeable people who can assist you with your questions.

Please join us not only in the marriage-based visa forum but in the general US forum as well. I know you will have questions that can be answered there, i.e. driver's license, car registration, house purchasing, establishing credit, getting a social security card/number, etc.

Welcome aboard.

Wow you summed up my experience here in the US perfectly with that post, I hate to hijack the post but I had to say something, I've been here 3 years and it's been a great experience but I can't say i'll be here for another 3 years, it was a great short term experience but like you said, not everyones cup of tea so to speak
Old Nov 19th 2016, 12:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natonstan
Wow you summed up my experience here in the US perfectly with that post, I hate to hijack the post but I had to say something, I've been here 3 years and it's been a great experience but I can't say i'll be here for another 3 years, it was a great short term experience but like you said, not everyones cup of tea so to speak
But what a ride, right? When you leave the US, do hope your next adventure is to a port of call filled with diversity and challenge. Or perhaps you will want something laid back and easy going. Whichever it is, enjoy it.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 7:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RantMachine
Hi there! I'm Ollie, and right now I'm getting ready to start the immigration journey towards joining my wife in Denver, CO. An amazing career opportunity for her came out of the blue, and it meant a move back home to the USA... we both agreed that it wasn't a chance to miss, so that's where she is now.

Unfortunately, home for me is Cambridgeshire, so I need to start applying for a visa! We've spent a good bit of time looking at what is involved, got plenty of proof of relationship (more photo albums and holiday receipts than you can shake a stick at, and then some), etc etc... But we're not sure about whether to bother with an immigration lawyer ($4000, ouch!) or just do the paperwork ourselves.

And so, I'm here - hoping to find out about other folks experiences of applying for marital visas, and even more hopefully to get to know some Brits who have already landed in Denver!
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary