Hi from me!

Old Jun 11th 2011, 10:55 am
Just Joined

road2knowwhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi from me!

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to say hi and acknowledge what a great forum I have found this to be and look forward to exchanging experiences, points of view etc.
I'm a male Brit who lived in Germany for 20 years, but moved back to the West Country last year for family reasons.
Feeling very much like an outsider, and am already thinking of starting afresh somewhere with a better climate and better standard/cost of living.

Thanks.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from me!

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, there is also a lot more information in the Europe Forums. Yet another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

What part of the West Country are you in at the moment? Where are you thinking that you might move to? Do you have a time scale for all of this to happen?

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Rosemary,

Many thanks for your welcome..it really does feel like a great online community here.

I'm based in the Bristol/Bath area, and am thinking Portugal/Spain, some parts of Eastern Europe ( not for the weather in most cases!) or Asia, so you can see I'm a bit undecided! I'm busy reading other people's experiences on here to try and make an educated guess where to try out for a few weeks.
Having lived so long in another country, I know that it is a lot harder than most people think to uproot, but feel that just like learning a new language ..the first one/time is the most difficult.

Cheers
Rob
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by road2knowwhere
Hi Rosemary,

Many thanks for your welcome..it really does feel like a great online community here.

I'm based in the Bristol/Bath area, and am thinking Portugal/Spain, some parts of Eastern Europe ( not for the weather in most cases!) or Asia, so you can see I'm a bit undecided! I'm busy reading other people's experiences on here to try and make an educated guess where to try out for a few weeks.
Having lived so long in another country, I know that it is a lot harder than most people think to uproot, but feel that just like learning a new language ..the first one/time is the most difficult.

Cheers
Rob
I love Bath but not so keen on Bristol, I suspect that all of your years away has meant that you view the area differently now than you did previously. Can I suggest that you research the Spain and the Portugal forums and then ask any questions that come to mind, posting your questions in the forum it is relevant to.

Good luck with your endeavours and contact me if you think that I can help you further.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Rosemary,

I will keep tags on the different forums and shout if i need more advice

Just to add - I too find Bath beautiful architecturally, but very touristy in high season..I also think Bristol is underated, the development of the harbour, the uni and Clifton etc..it really is a vibrant and diverse city.

Thanks again
Rob
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:01 pm

Hi Rosemary,

I will keep tags on the different forums and shout if i need more advice

Just to add - I too find Bath beautiful architecturally, but very touristy in high season..I also think Bristol is underated, the development of the harbour, the uni and Clifton etc..it really is a vibrant and diverse city.

Thanks again
Rob
Did you grow up in the area? I grew up in Plymouth, my dad grew up in Bristol.

Rosemary
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I spent my first 20 years here and then headed off into the German/Swiss sunset!
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to say hi and acknowledge what a great forum I have found this to be and look forward to exchanging experiences, points of view etc.
I'm a male Brit who lived in Germany for 20 years, but moved back to the West Country last year for family reasons.
Feeling very much like an outsider, and am already thinking of starting afresh somewhere with a better climate and better standard/cost of living.

Thanks.
Hello and welcome to BE.

We seem to have quite a lot of members who at some point in their life have lived in Germany. I see you have already posted in our Germany forum...good for you.

As you are not sure which country you would like to move I recommend you I suggest you take a look down the list of countries in the Living and Moving Abroad forum and take a read through the threads in some of the forums. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...there's loads of information in there.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

For all other problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names are located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold font.

Before you post please read any 'sticky' threads or announcements that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

somewhere with a better climate and better standard/cost of living.

Thanks.
Oooh do check out the Far East forum as well. Better climate... yup
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou both Jerseygirl and bakedbean

I loved my (long) time in Germany and found the people to be very different to the stereotypical one..friendly, cultured...and yes, sometimes funny!!

I've already been busy reading posts from different countries, and just feel that Asia - the people,food,weather etc might be the swaying me.. Cambodia, Thailand or Malaysia are on the radar at the moment.

Thanks again for this great site... I'll head off now to the appropriate forums and try and get more info/insights.

Last edited by road2knowwhere; Jun 12th 2011 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:34 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, see you over there, and happy planning