Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi All (from the UK)

Hi All (from the UK)

Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

mrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nice
Default Hi All (from the UK)

Hi All,

I'm in my early 30's, and am a fully qualified Civil Engineer who's spent the best part of the last 10 years working in Traffic and Highway Engineering in and around London (predominantly from the consultant side permanent and contract work because of the lack of permanent opportunities in the recession).

In short I think the future looks rather bleak and probably want to get out of the UK asap (I have only just started to look into it really seriously). I was out last night with some former colleagues and contacts and one said that it's at the point where they almost need to get director approval to order new staplers or coffee for a meeting (the supplier was embarrassed enough to the point where they paid, as they really wanted the work and some coffee & tea).

I am in the process of getting my dual nationality back (I should have a Canadian passport within 6 weeks as I was born there). I also know Civils comes up on the skills shortage lists for New Zealand and Australia (which also covers traffic engineering - and I have checked the latest revised list for Australia which is down to 181 from 400). I would consider the US but some of what's going on over there doesn't make me feel very comfortable (in the same way I couldn't work in Northern Australia because of the heat in summer).

Just from reading some of the threads on the forums and the wiki's I have already found out some handy advice.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All (from the UK)

Hello and welcome to BE.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. If you are a Canadian citizen are you not interested in moving to Canada? It will probably be far easier to move there...as I am sure you are well aware.

We have a great bunch of people who post in our Australia Forums they will give you tips and advice on life Down Under. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum all questions regarding the immigration process should be posted in there. The Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat.

Alistairboyle is the concierge for the Australia forums...he will act as your tour guide to help you navigate the many BE forums. So if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact him.

If you have any concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20, Sonlymewalter and Centurion.

If you would like links to any of our other forums please let Alistair or myself know and we'll point you in the right direction.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:05 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just echoing Jersey girl's welcome (and wondering which of your posts to respond to! )

A she says, give us a hoy if you need a hand getting round the site. You can PM me here if needed.

Alistair.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

mrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. If you are a Canadian citizen are you not interested in moving to Canada? It will probably be far easier to move there...as I am sure you are well aware.
Thanks I am definitely considering that and am already in discussion on another part of the forum about that.

Thanks to you and alistair for taking the time to give me a few pointers - it's much appreciated.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrvp
Thanks I am definitely considering that and am already in discussion on another part of the forum about that.

Thanks to you and alistair for taking the time to give me a few pointers - it's much appreciated.
I noticed that you'd already started to post in the Canada forum...do you have any preference as to what area of Canada you'd like to live it?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I noticed that you'd already started to post in the Canada forum...do you have any preference as to what area of Canada you'd like to live it?
No not particularly - basically which ever area enhances my job prospects (providing there is no real obvious reasons not to live there - e.g. extremes of climate, possible political issues, civil unrest etc.). From doing a little bit of reading I know there are skills shortages in Civils in Alberta, British Colombia, Manitoba and Ontario so that's a start.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:17 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrvp

I see you have already found your feet on the Canada forum, which just leaves me to say Welcome to BE.

Dread - x