Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Vienna

Hello from Vienna

Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

vienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nice
Default Hello from Vienna

Hello British Expats,

Here's yet another one who didn't have enough stamina. After 11 years in Vienna, I will be returning to Brighton next April. I had already wanted to leave after 3 years but I told myself I should give it more time. So I did.

How did it turn out? The countryside is spectacular; quality of living is excellent; I have made friends over the years; know the language; I have a good job with an international company and I'm living in a lovely snug studio flat close to the city centre.

What's not to like? How could I possibly throw this all away and go back, probably facing several months of unemployment (it makes me panic already but that's where my savings will come in handy)?! I've been telling myself that many people would gladly take my place.

Obviously, I must be a complete basket case. However, I still want to go back. To the seafront; the friendly people; the smalltalk; the food; the shops; the charity shops; and did I mention the seafront?

Glad I got this off my chest. Thank you for reading!

Have a lovely day everybody.

Nic
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Vienna

Hi Nic and welcome to BE

Obviously if that's what you want to do you go for it.
see you have found the Return to UK forum so will say good luck with the return
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:19 am
Just Joined

vienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nicevienna_nic is just really nice

Thank you very much MrsFychan.

Incidentally, one of my best friends has a NZ husband (Rotorua) and we had been thinking of moving over. It didn't happen because they decided they wanted their children to grow up here and I had made up my mind to stick it out a bit longer, too.

Being a newbie, I couldn't quite decipher the meaning of the dates in your signature. Are you in a process of something (moving somewhere) or has it been pushed back? Sorry if I'm being nosy!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 9:19 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

dates in my signature are the dates for our application for visa's to migrate to NZ. Been here 2 years and told hubby I would give it at least the 5yrs. If we stay or go else where is something that will be discussed in a few years, like you just giving it a go and see what happens but don't see myself diving under tables when I'm in my dotage.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
diving under tables when I'm in my dotage.
Love the alliteration in there, as well as the image! You certainly have a point. I couldn't see myself doing that, either. Well, as long as you're happy all things considered, might as well stay. I've never been but from what my friends tell me, NZ has a great countryside, the people are relaxed and it's far less hectic than in Europe. I hope I'm not the umpteenth person to ask, but how does it feel to celebrate Christmas in summer?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:13 pm

not the same feel. first one was so hot, apparently unusually so, so couldn't really do to much so sat in drinking and eating which I suppose is much like back home just warmer and without lots of family. Miss the darkness of cuddling up all cozy after the kids have opened their presents, husband cooking in the kitchen and watching the Christmas Day Soaps and things like Only Fools and Horses specials. sucks, now I want to go home

We've moved recently so are having a "house warming" with a mid winter feel to it. so lots of Yule tide foods, mince pies, pigs in jackets (sausage n bacon) etc
Old Jun 12th 2014, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you homesick. Your housewarming sounds like a good Christmas replacement, the way you describe it! Enjoy the mince pies. We've had a hot spell of upper 30s C, which is not my kind of weather, and I'm glad everytime I can take my after work shower. Where's the mince pie when one needs it. I hope your new neighbours are nice folk.