Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Silver Spring, MD

Hello from Silver Spring, MD

Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

nigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to all
Default Hello from Silver Spring, MD

Well, I finally made it - shiny new H-1B (just got in before the cap looked like filling up), living in Silver Spring and working in Rockville (both are just to the north of Washington DC). Wish me luck ;-) Now to sort out health insurance (sigh) and a driver's licence (double sigh).

At least I'm keeping up with the brass banding scene, which (although shorter in numbers) is far more vibrant here than back home.

Originally from the Isle of Thanet, I moved to Barnsley in South Yorkshire, some 20 years ago. So I'm used to changes in my life!

-Nigel
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:37 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Silver Spring, MD

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to BE. I see you've already found your way to our USA forum. If you do a search you will find the topic of health insurance comes up often.

I hope you enjoy being part of our little community and congratulations on the visa
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel_horne
Well, I finally made it - shiny new H-1B (just got in before the cap looked like filling up), living in Silver Spring and working in Rockville (both are just to the north of Washington DC). Wish me luck ;-) Now to sort out health insurance (sigh) and a driver's licence (double sigh).

At least I'm keeping up with the brass banding scene, which (although shorter in numbers) is far more vibrant here than back home.

Originally from the Isle of Thanet, I moved to Barnsley in South Yorkshire, some 20 years ago. So I'm used to changes in my life!

-Nigel
Hello Nigel...welcome to BE.

Getting an US drivers licence is no big deal. Some states require a written and practical test...New Jersey only require a written multiple answer test if you have a UK DL. Even if you have to take a practical test it is very, very easy...nothing like the UK driving test. Loads of info in the US forums about healthcare insurance. You may find relevant info in the BE Wiki.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

nigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to all

Thanks for the advice on the driver's licence. I've already been told by an ex-pat who is now naturalised that the MD driving test is far easier than the UK one. Even though I took mine 30 years ago, I should be OK. I will brush up on a few things, especially road markings and the like for the computer test.

As far as health insurance goes: that is part of my salary package, so the problem I have is only in dealing with forms.

-Nigel
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel_horne
Thanks for the advice on the driver's licence. I've already been told by an ex-pat who is now naturalised that the MD driving test is far easier than the UK one. Even though I took mine 30 years ago, I should be OK. I will brush up on a few things, especially road markings and the like for the computer test.

As far as health insurance goes: that is part of my salary package, so the problem I have is only in dealing with forms.

-Nigel
My daughter's practical test lasted about 5 mins. It took place in an empty car park...she had to drive forward for a couple of hundred yards then parallel park between 2 cones about 50 foot apart. One of our member's daughter passed her test even though she went through a red light during the test.

My husband always complains every year when he has the healthcare insurance paperwork to sort out.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

hi nigel im from barnsley and will be in rockville next week visiting my girlfriend small world good luck
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:25 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nigel

Welcome to BE.
Good to see you have already found the USA forum, where I am sure you can find out anything you need to know to help you settle in your new home, as well as keep up with soem good ole Brit humour and wit.

Good luck in your new home - and with the driving test

Dread - x