Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello - New Member thinking about returning to UK

Hello - New Member thinking about returning to UK

Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:41 am
Just Joined

michellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nice
Thumbs up Hello - New Member thinking about returning to UK

Hi Just wanted to say hello, to everyone on this site, I have been doing lots of reading of many of your posts, really good !!
Have just posted my first thread today so I might too get some advise too.
Ok thanks for all on site that help everybody out
Regards Shell and John
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Welcome Shell and John.

Where are you off to?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:13 am
Just Joined

michellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nicemichellenjohn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Welcome Shell and John.

Where are you off to?
Hi Thank you
We have been living in Oz for over 4 yrs now, originally from Uk.
Unfortunately we have not settled here and wish to return to UK, missing friends and family, enjoyed been been here, but something missing.

Regards Shell and John
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Then you may find the moving back to the UK forum very interesting.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I wish you both all the very best for the future.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:23 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shell and John

First of all welcome to BE - you have certainly come to the right place for help and advice.
I see you have already found your way onto our Moving back to the UK forum, which is definitely the best forum for your requirements as you will find plenty of folks who have made the return or are in the process of returning to the UK, so they will have plenty of information to offer. Also you will be among likeminded folks who for various reasons left the expat lifestyle and felt that pull back to good old Blighty - there's just something about the UK isn't there ?.

In the meantime I wish you all the very best with your plans - but don't come back this week 'cos it's bloomin' freezing !!
Regards

Dread - x
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Shell and John

First of all welcome to BE - you have certainly come to the right place for help and advice.
I see you have already found your way onto our Moving back to the UK forum, which is definitely the best forum for your requirements as you will find plenty of folks who have made the return or are in the process of returning to the UK, so they will have plenty of information to offer. Also you will be among likeminded folks who for various reasons left the expat lifestyle and felt that pull back to good old Blighty - there's just something about the UK isn't there ?.

In the meantime I wish you all the very best with your plans - but don't come back this week 'cos it's bloomin' freezing !!
Regards

Dread - x
Hi Thanks for the warm welcome, have I got it right you were in Goa and have moved back to UK? Nice to hear somebody who actually understands that there is something about the Uk, even if weather is pretty poor some of the time haha

We are a little way off getting home yet and have a property here in oz to sell first, just finishing the landscaping first before getting it on the market.

Regards Shell and john
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary, good to be pointed in the right direction. As i want to try and take advantage of all the info on site.

Regards Shell and John
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:38 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michellenjohn
Hi Thanks for the warm welcome, have I got it right you were in Goa and have moved back to UK? Nice to hear somebody who actually understands that there is something about the Uk, even if weather is pretty poor some of the time haha

We are a little way off getting home yet and have a property here in oz to sell first, just finishing the landscaping first before getting it on the market.

Regards Shell and john
Hi again

I am actually a part time expat and spend part of the year there and part back in the UK - unfortunately work just gets in the way of my holiday time !!
I do understand though why many folks feel the pull to return to the UK after living abroad - there are certainly things I miss when I am away, like family and friends, and some of the foods like decent cheese, bacon and most vitally decent chocolate !! The latter are small things but it's the many small things that make you want to return. You will certainly find many folks on the Moving back to the UK forum who felt that pull to return so it is by no means a rare thing.

You are certainly right about the UK weather - it is tipped to snow this weekend - ugh !!!!!

It may be a while before you return but you have crossed the biggest hurdle in making the decision, so the rest will all fall into place, and before you know it the day has arrived.

In the meantime all the very best

Dread - x
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

NSWP will become famous soon enoughNSWP will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Re: Hello - New Member thinking about returning to UK

Don't do it, you are living in the best country in the World - Australia.

I have been here since 1966. Since retirement have travelled the world, UK, Europe, Canada, USA, South American countries, Asia, etc, etc.

Yes I know migrants miss family, but who would miss the weather, the traffic, the cost of living, the overpopulated Island of Great Britain.

This is the land to be in.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi again

I am actually a part time expat and spend part of the year there and part back in the UK - unfortunately work just gets in the way of my holiday time !!
I do understand though why many folks feel the pull to return to the UK after living abroad - there are certainly things I miss when I am away, like family and friends, and some of the foods like decent cheese, bacon and most vitally decent chocolate !! The latter are small things but it's the many small things that make you want to return. You will certainly find many folks on the Moving back to the UK forum who felt that pull to return so it is by no means a rare thing.

You are certainly right about the UK weather - it is tipped to snow this weekend - ugh !!!!!

It may be a while before you return but you have crossed the biggest hurdle in making the decision, so the rest will all fall into place, and before you know it the day has arrived.

In the meantime all the very best

Dread - x
Hey Dreadsoc, that sounds like you get the best of both worlds !!
A bit like what we want to do, have a base in UK and do lots of traveling as and when we can. But it is so nice to have people that just understand !!!
Thanks again for the positive words, cause it was a real difficult discission to make, and I believe if we were not so strong we would just stay here and make do.... it would be a lot simpler.

Regards Shell and john
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hello - New Member thinking about returning to UK

Originally Posted by NSWP

I have been here since 1966. Since retirement have travelled the world, UK, Europe, Canada, USA, South American countries, Asia, etc, etc.

Yes I know migrants miss family, but who would miss the weather, the traffic, the cost of living, the overpopulated Island of Great Britain.

Hi There, thanks for your advise, but we do return to uk regularly and know what we are letting ourselves in for !!!
Yes Australia is a great place for alot of people and the ozys are very friendly.
Sorry its just not right for us.

Regard shell and john
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

J A Lamb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello - New Member thinking about returning to UK

Originally Posted by NSWP

Can't say that i agree with your comments .Been here since 1973 now retired.Australia is far far from being the best place to live for everyone it probaly has the most anti social violent drunken and drug problem per capita in the world..I too have travelled the world.Never realy ever settled in Australia,There's a empty void here.Not a fealing of belonging.It's just been a means to an end.money a house on acerage means nothing in the end.Leaveing your family and friends is disaster.We lost far more than we gained,and we can never get it back,it's lost forever.The weather we dread the summer in Qld,unbearable heat, humidity flies floods,stinking sewerage.Can't beat the 3 seasons in the UK oh to breath some clean fresh air in the beautiful green historic village we left..As they say one mans meat,is another mans poison.Another saying,It's never too late,and we will be on our way HOME as soon as we can sell up.The cost of liveing in Australia is the highest in the world.Houses in Australia are no more than a flashy sheds poorly built and you can hear every noise from outside,and next door, some houses in the suburbs are a mitre apart,and the most exspensive.No i can honestly say we regret ever leaveing Britain.still the best warts and all.Thouasnds are packing up and moveing back.Australia is calling it the brain drain,Australia is not the lucky country for many.