Reload this Page >

hello going to Grenada with view to longterm

hello going to Grenada with view to longterm

Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Princessmomie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question hello going to Grenada with view to longterm

Hi everyone!

So happy I found this forum, in fact I've just read, over the past hour, some very funny stories and replies on here, then decided to join. Wow you guys really know your stuff.

My family and I are going to Grenada ( for the first time on holiday), this summer, although the Caribbean is not new to me, having grown up in Guyana and visited many islands in my childhood and 20's.

With so much advice on here I won't ask the same old questions, but I guess my query is on the new re-branding of Grenada - I've just read, and which I believe just launched recently, can anyone shed any light on how this has/or is suppose to change the island? I read an article recently that a local non Grenada very well known and wealthy businessman, has declared ' open season' to all equally very rich Europeans/US citizens willing to buy and build in Grenada- as it seems there is a new type of 'marketing' to the 'very rich' to go to Grenada and spoil the very things that have made it so special.

Having visited Barbados, Trini, St Lucia and St Martin, Virgin Islands, one thing that has spoiled these islands in many ways is the idea of super-rich exclusive property owners who really have no interest in the people, culture or country of the Caribbean just only the sun - and beach, and create fences and no trespassing signs everywhere.

I'd really like to get an idea from those who live in Grenada already, ( or just know it very well) what you think about this new re-branding? and what will it do to the island in both positive and negative (if at all) ways.

As Guyana, has literally none of my relatives left in it! ( scattered everywhere mostly in New York, Miami, London and Florida), I find myself without a Caribbean home to which I dearly enjoyed and loved as a child. I really want to pass on this aspect of my culture to my british born children! So my husband and I are looking for a place ( Grenada came to mind) to research on buying a holiday home/future family retirement home there.

Question. To build or not to build? We see lots of homes for sale, is it worth looking for a decent bargain home and converting it to our style and standard? or starting from scratch ( buying land, building our home?) cost wise? any advice on what would be best? also any links to builders or real estate vendors with experience and a good reputation?

Thank you in advance for reading my long mail
Old Mar 21st 2014, 10:38 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello going to Grenada with view to longterm

Originally Posted by Princessmomie
Hi everyone!

So happy I found this forum, in fact I've just read, over the past hour, some very funny stories and replies on here, then decided to join. Wow you guys really know your stuff.

My family and I are going to Grenada ( for the first time on holiday), this summer, although the Caribbean is not new to me, having grown up in Guyana and visited many islands in my childhood and 20's.

With so much advice on here I won't ask the same old questions, but I guess my query is on the new re-branding of Grenada - I've just read, and which I believe just launched recently, can anyone shed any light on how this has/or is suppose to change the island? I read an article recently that a local non Grenada very well known and wealthy businessman, has declared ' open season' to all equally very rich Europeans/US citizens willing to buy and build in Grenada- as it seems there is a new type of 'marketing' to the 'very rich' to go to Grenada and spoil the very things that have made it so special.

Having visited Barbados, Trini, St Lucia and St Martin, Virgin Islands, one thing that has spoiled these islands in many ways is the idea of super-rich exclusive property owners who really have no interest in the people, culture or country of the Caribbean just only the sun - and beach, and create fences and no trespassing signs everywhere.

I'd really like to get an idea from those who live in Grenada already, ( or just know it very well) what you think about this new re-branding? and what will it do to the island in both positive and negative (if at all) ways.

As Guyana, has literally none of my relatives left in it! ( scattered everywhere mostly in New York, Miami, London and Florida), I find myself without a Caribbean home to which I dearly enjoyed and loved as a child. I really want to pass on this aspect of my culture to my british born children! So my husband and I are looking for a place ( Grenada came to mind) to research on buying a holiday home/future family retirement home there.

Question. To build or not to build? We see lots of homes for sale, is it worth looking for a decent bargain home and converting it to our style and standard? or starting from scratch ( buying land, building our home?) cost wise? any advice on what would be best? also any links to builders or real estate vendors with experience and a good reputation?

Thank you in advance for reading my long mail
Hi and welcome to BE

I don't know if you've found it yet, but there is a Caribbean section to the forum - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121 I think your questions would be best answered there

Good luck with the plans - and shout if you need a hand with anything
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello going to Grenada with view to longterm

Hi and welcome to the forum