Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Greetings from London!

Greetings from London!

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:53 pm
Banned

Jason-Gibbs will become famous soon enoughJason-Gibbs will become famous soon enough
Default Greetings from London!

Hi guys.

Im Jason.
An Advanced Scaffolder from London - England, UK.

Looking forward to being part of this forum.

Nice to meet you all, and i hope your all doing good.
Speak to you soon.

Jay.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:01 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Greetings from London!

Originally Posted by Jason-Gibbs
Hi guys.

Im Jason.

Speak to you soon.

Jay.
Hello Jason,

Welcome to B.E. Hope you enjoy! Jerseygirl and Sue will be by in no time to welcome you properly and give you links and info, but until you're better welcomed: Greetings from Ontario, Canada!

Best,
Christian
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from London!

Hi guys.

Im Jason.

Speak to you soon.

Jay.
Hi Jay...welcome to the site.

What brings you to BE? Are you interested in moving overseas? If so please let me know what country/ies appeal to you and I'll give you links to the relevant forums.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:25 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi Jay...welcome to the site.

What brings you to BE? Are you interested in moving overseas? If so please let me know what country/ies appeal to you and I'll give you links to the relevant forums.
NOT Canada! For God's sake NOT Canada! I've done 40 hard years over here! It's left me a broken man!

Stay up in London! It's too late for me ... but you can still save yourself!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there's lots of nice places in Canada. A lot of people seem to like it there.

Hi Jason - a big wide world out there though some places are easier to get into than others. I'm a Londoner originally but wouldn't get me going back there Have you any ideas where you might want to go? All the best with whatever you choose to do.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:10 am
Banned

Jason-Gibbs will become famous soon enoughJason-Gibbs will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Im lucky that due to my job, i get a fair bit of overseas interest.
I have 2 children - A boy of 9 years and a girl of 9 months, so anywhere where i can give a better quality of life for them and my girlfriend really.

Ive had a few job offers in Dubai, Mexico, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand, but ive always had a soft spot for Canada.
British Colombia is supposed to be nice.

Is it hard to move over to there, or are there better job offers for Scaffolders in other places, would you guys know?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

I have 2 children - A boy of 9 years and a girl of 9 months, so anywhere where i can give a better quality of life for them and my girlfriend really.

Ive had a few job offers in Dubai, Mexico, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand, but ive always had a soft spot for Canada.

Is it hard to move over to there, or are there better job offers for Scaffolders in other places, would you guys know?
I've not been to BC...but you are correct from what I hear it is one of the nicest parts of the world to live. Here's details and links for the Canada Forums...you will get a much better response to your questions if you repost them there. If you click on this link it will direct you to the index page of the main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums...the top one being the Immigration Forum. Any questions relating specifically to the immigration process should be posted there. The main forum is for topics relating to Canada and the Maple Leaf is for general chatter. We have a lively group of posters...so you should get many helpful answers to your questions.

Here is the link to our Living and Moving Abroad forum...you will see that we have forums covering the countries you have shown interest in.

Please take a few moments to read any sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of each forum's index page. The BE Wiki is a great source of information...I recommend you take a read through the Canada section.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid is the concierge for the Canada forums...she will be act as your BE tour guides to help you find your way around.

For any other questions, problems or concerns please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 4th 2011 at 3:25 am.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:48 am
Banned

Thanks very much Jerseygirl.
I really appreciate the help.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks very much Jerseygirl.
I really appreciate the help.
Thank you. Please don't hesitate to shout out if you need help with anything.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:05 am

Thumbs up Re: Greetings from London!

Originally Posted by christian
NOT Canada! For God's sake NOT Canada! I've done 40 hard years over here! It's left me a broken man!
Stay up in London! It's too late for me ... but you can still save yourself!
Hi everyone.

All kidding aside, Jason,

I think most expats do fancy British Columbia, where the weather is described as ‘England with mountains!’, the rest of Canada can be as cold in winter as it's infamous for and so you'll want the right kit for it. If you're anything like I was, your first winter will be a right shock, but after that, one grows accustomed to it.

Quebec is another world. I started out there and lived there for many years. (I look back fondly on those days, but I was very young, and the political climate has changed so that I've never regretted relocating to Ontario).

English Canada is much like America. Alberta is very prosperous, so that I think there would be work opportunities there. A mate who left Ontario about 10 years ago has often said he has a better standard of living there then he would on the same wages in Ontario, but that can depend upon so many things ... locale and what one does for a living to name but two.

Another mate, who was a native of British Columbia, always said that people from the east love it at first, but the rain gets to them, and the majority head back within a few years ... but then he added: ‘It's only the English who come over and stay, they don't even seem to notice the rain!’ If you've the opportunity to give BC a try, I'd not pass it up myself.

As regards immigration, there are others on this forum who are well versed and current with the laws of today, where I am not. (I was lucky ... came over to relatives long ago when it was easier, but times have changed).

Good luck in your endeavours!
Best, Christian

Last edited by Christian; Jul 4th 2011 at 4:34 am.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:12 am
Banned

Thanks very much Christian.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:26 am

Smile Re: Greetings from London!

Thanks very much Christian.
Pleasure, mate! ... I'm not saying I'm much use, but anything I can help you with,
I certainly will do, gladly ... I was in your shoes once too.

Last edited by Christian; Jul 4th 2011 at 4:32 am.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Hi Jason,
A little surprised that South Africa was among the possible countries you could work in.
Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities to live. Three folk now I know have left inside four years all Brits (one Polish but with UK passport) all detested the place intensely.
People seemed to be biggest complaint. Sort of Yuppie/pretentious and hard to crack.
Never been myself though. Notice you didn't mention Australia. Any reason for that? Perhaps your trade is not in demand here at the moment.

Lived in London some twenty years myself and probably as close as home still as anywhere.
If I still lived there may well locate providing the work is there but it would be in the European Union or perhaps for a time in Asia or South Africa but couldn't see myself going to any of the big immigrant nations like USA, Canada or Australia again.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:23 am
Banned

Hello Troubadour.

The South Africa job was a management role, but i feel that being only 29 (30 in 7 weeks) that im not old enough to get into management yet and still have atleast 10 years of Scaffold fixing work in me, before i get too old to pull my weight.

The company was a bit slow to talk about a salary also, which kinda put me off, aswell.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Notice you didn't mention Australia. Any reason for that? Perhaps your trade is not in demand here at the moment.
Ive heard its a great place to move to, but as of yet ive not been approached to move to Australia to work.
I think that Scaffolders are a sought after trade there though, but im not 100% sure.

I can imagine it being hard to adjust to another countries way of life, i guess luck plays a part with what kinds of people you might work with and live with when your there.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE.

Good luck with your research, hope you find out all that you need to know and are able to make a decision that suits all of your family.

Rosemary