Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Georgia

Greetings from Georgia

Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:18 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default Greetings from Georgia

I'm also new to this forum, but not new to either posting or living as an Expat Brit in sunny Georgia. What brought me here (to this forum) was a Google search on the legal requirement to carry at all times ones Green Card.
Living in a small community, as I do, non Merkins tend to stand out, especially if they are not Illegal Mexicans (IM's). We live in one of the smallest counties in GA, with only 11,000 population. But it is acknowledged that there are upwards of 3,000 IM's living and working in the county. Having had to fight and pay much money to the greedy lawyers to get legal, I am not a supporter of the IM's. However, they wouldn't be here if they weren't getting paid, and paid in cash! There is more, but not today.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from Georgia

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
I'm also new to this forum, but not new to either posting or living as an Expat Brit in sunny Georgia. What brought me here (to this forum) was a Google search on the legal requirement to carry at all times ones Green Card.
Living in a small community, as I do, non Merkins tend to stand out, especially if they are not Illegal Mexicans (IM's). We live in one of the smallest counties in GA, with only 11,000 population. But it is acknowledged that there are upwards of 3,000 IM's living and working in the county. Having had to fight and pay much money to the greedy lawyers to get legal, I am not a supporter of the IM's. However, they wouldn't be here if they weren't getting paid, and paid in cash! There is more, but not today.
Hello there and welcome to BE.

I have moved your post into a thread of it's own...that way your introduction post will not be lost in someone else's thread.

We have several members living in Georgia...I suggest you take a look at our US Forums and join in the banter.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui.

As this forum is purely for new members to introduce themselves...if you wish to discuss IM's the correct forum to do so is the Take It Outside Forum. You should be aware that discussions in TIO often get very heated. Jerseygirl is the moderator for TIO (yes that's me )...so any problems please give me a shout...but please note that the Site Rules tend to be relaxed a little in TIO.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:20 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deltasierra

Welcome to BE from me too.
I agree with the comment about lawyers - they are greedy here in the UK too - and even greedier in Goa where I m usually found lurking!!

Hope you enjoy our forums

Dread - x
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:21 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Deltasierra

Welcome to BE from me too.
I agree with the comment about lawyers - they are greedy here in the UK too - and even greedier in Goa where I m usually found lurking!!

Hope you enjoy our forums

Dread - x
We came over in late 1989 to do a job on a Gulfstream G-IV being built for Mahamad Al-Fyed, that should have had us flying back in July 1990. However, delays upon delays meant twiddling my thumbs and going through my phone book. Cut a long story short, was convinced to stay here. Offered positions with various Agencies, but declined as it meant moving to the DC general Area, and becoming an American. Couldn't do that having once done the "My Country right or wrong" bit.
In the UK I was a founder of the National Pistol Association, wrote for Guns Review, member of the NRA (Bisley), so when I found on line a Brit shooting forum I was happy as Larry. All I wanted was old copies of the defunct Guns Review with my articles in. A couple of people had ones from after me. I started reading the posts, and wanted to cry at the subservient way they were talking about 'their' Firearms Officer and how he let them do this or that, and what they could have etc. I started chiding them and explaining their rights which could not be modified by the whims of some anti gun Plod. Upset some of the old hands who were the font of all knowledge in their little world. Apparently "Thou shalt not contradict a moderator with facts" as he shall smite thee from afar.
From what I have seen so far, the mind sets here are much more switched on to the world around them than what's left of shooters in the UK.
I am old, and like most old people often offer advice when and where the recipient least expects or wants it. I promise to behave and just lurk for a while...
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deltasierra - I'm glad you found us and look forward to getting to know you!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Delta from Hotlanta (not yet but it will be soon enough), I too had some dealings with Mr Al Fayed back in the 80's when his firm built the World Trade center in Dubai, he was a wheeler dealer even before his days at Harrods.

Glad to see you stuck it out here even in rural Georgia, enjoy yourself here, people like to moan from time to time but most of us are here because we like it.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:17 am
MCROW

Originally Posted by Vimto
Hi there Delta from Hotlanta (not yet but it will be soon enough), I too had some dealings with Mr Al Fayed back in the 80's when his firm built the World Trade center in Dubai, he was a wheeler dealer even before his days at Harrods.

Glad to see you stuck it out here even in rural Georgia, enjoy yourself here, people like to moan from time to time but most of us are here because we like it.
I think we're 260 odd miles from Atlanta just off I-16. Second smallest County in GA. We've had temperatures in the mid 80's for about a week now. All of the Pecan trees budded early and on different days. First time I have noted that they've not all budded within 24 hours of each other.

Yes, The Pharaoh was a pain during the prep of the G-IV. But the list of problems, some self inflicted by Fayair, and some by RR with miss matched engines, nearly drove me mad doing nothing but waiting.
Before Fayed, we had done the King of Saudi's 747 Combi, and started on Kuwait Air's Combi, but never finished it, as it was lifted out of Karachi by an Iranian Special Forces Unit. We could have finished it, but their bean counters stopped the project.
So made some calls, visited Quantico and Foggy Bottom with 2 well known 'Merkins' (One with a direction in his name, and the other dramatically offered to stand on a street corner) and found that both places were technically 10 years behind the Brits and did some 'smoke and mirrors' and was offered jobs at both places, but turned them down as I didn't want a US passport. At that time the "Brand Leaders" were the USSR, followed by the Italians, Brits and Irish. The Froggies were patchy good. Still are in some fields. They found how to detect at 100 plus miles so called Stealth Fighters such as the 117 which isn't a fighter but a bomber. During the Airborne Sentinel period I made a modification to some Panasonic Camcorders and also a Sony that were the first camcorders with IR illuminators that recorded colour video in the dark. The ones you buy commercially go to B&W, mine maintain soft tone colour. If you recall the low light long shots at WACO that had a reddish caste, those were my camcorders that I had sold to the Texas NG. It was from that Camcorder that I made the name MIDNITEYES from shouting at a Kuwaiti who kept asking "Will it see and 9 O'clock? Then 10? then 11? and then I wrote on a white board MIDNIGHT YES!
One last thing; American Law Enforcement are all pretty good with a rifle and very good with a shotgun, but crap with a handgun. Every time they have to qualify, they get near to panic. They practice and practice for hours, and still only just scape by. I can teach them how to qualify inside an hour, no matter how bad they are. Good fun too.
Is that enough background?