Go'morron

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Vaxholm will become famous soon enoughVaxholm will become famous soon enough
Default Go'morron

Currently in my twentieth year of a 2 year stretch in Sweden. Just found this forum and thought I'd turn myself green reading about all of the lucky folks who were smart enough to pick somewhere warm to move to.

As I say, originally came here on a 2 year sentence in ´91 to help out an ad agency with its TV work and proceeded to do all of the classic things to turn myself into a lifer (woman, kids, etc).

Actually it's not been bad. Spent the first 10 years in advertising, the second 10 as an aerobatic display pilot, and I'm just setting up a whole new project for the next 10.

It is a beautiful place to live, it lacks the passion of other countries, but sometimes that's a good thing in a country where you live day to day.

I'm looking forward to finding out what it's like to live in other countries around the world as a bloody foreigner (because eventually I would like to move somewhere warmer when the joints start to creak). Also, I'm hoping to gather a little information for this new project of mine.

Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go'morron

Originally Posted by Vaxholm
Currently in my twentieth year of a 2 year stretch in Sweden. Just found this forum and thought I'd turn myself green reading about all of the lucky folks who were smart enough to pick somewhere warm to move to.

As I say, originally came here on a 2 year sentence in ´91 to help out an ad agency with its TV work and proceeded to do all of the classic things to turn myself into a lifer (woman, kids, etc).

Actually it's not been bad. Spent the first 10 years in advertising, the second 10 as an aerobatic display pilot, and I'm just setting up a whole new project for the next 10.

It is a beautiful place to live, it lacks the passion of other countries, but sometimes that's a good thing in a country where you live day to day.

I'm looking forward to finding out what it's like to live in other countries around the world as a bloody foreigner (because eventually I would like to move somewhere warmer when the joints start to creak). Also, I'm hoping to gather a little information for this new project of mine.

Thanks.
Hello and welcome to BE.

There are several of us who moved countries for a year or two and are still here...so you are not alone. You just sort of get sucked into things don't you and before you know it the years have flown by?

I see you are managing to find your way around the forums and have already jumped in and started to post...good for you.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

For all other problems or concerns please contact a moderator...their names are located at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold font.

Before you post please read any 'sticky' threads or announcements that are posted at the top of each forum's index page.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE.

Enjoy your reading and posting and hope that you find that you are able to help others along the way.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vaxholm,

Welcome to BE. Sounds like you are going to fit in nicely around here. So hope you will stick around.

Sue
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I'll have a proper sit down and scout around once the sun eventually goes down. We don't get that much up here so we need to make the most of it while we can. Lot's of bathing in the sea too during the few months it isn't solid.

Maybe you could open up a Nordic section in the Europe bit as there are rather a lot of Brits up here. Pretty much every one of them here as a result of meeting a blonde haired, blue eyed partner (I was a bit different and picked up mine once I'd got here).

Happy to offer the benefit of my experience to anyone thinking of coming up to the frozen wastes. Though to be honest I've found everything very easy to sort out over the years so I suspect there probably won't be that many questions. They're a pretty civilised set of countries up here. Not that good at integrating foreigners - but they don't seem to see us Brits as foreign so we get a pretty easy ride compared to non-English speaking immigrants.

So if anyone has any questions about Sweden, and Stockholm in particular - fire away.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'll have a proper sit down and scout around once the sun eventually goes down. We don't get that much up here so we need to make the most of it while we can. Lot's of bathing in the sea too during the few months it isn't solid.

Maybe you could open up a Nordic section in the Europe bit as there are rather a lot of Brits up here. Pretty much every one of them here as a result of meeting a blonde haired, blue eyed partner (I was a bit different and picked up mine once I'd got here).

Happy to offer the benefit of my experience to anyone thinking of coming up to the frozen wastes. Though to be honest I've found everything very easy to sort out over the years so I suspect there probably won't be that many questions. They're a pretty civilised set of countries up here. Not that good at integrating foreigners - but they don't seem to see us Brits as foreign so we get a pretty easy ride compared to non-English speaking immigrants.

So if anyone has any questions about Sweden, and Stockholm in particular - fire away.
If we get more interest from expats living in Sweden and it warrants a new forum...I'm sure Sue will look into it. So pass the message on about us to all your pals and colleagues and get them to register and start posting...the more the better.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:25 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently in my twentieth year of a 2 year stretch in Sweden.
Funny how many members there are around here in that sort of situation - I'm half way through my 8th year of a 1-2 year adventure in NZ

Hope you enjoy the BE site
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to move somewhere warmer when the joints start to creak.
Ah check out south east Asia - bloody hot all year round
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks. An old friend of mine has just moved to Singapore. He's been sending me regular updates. You know. The usual pictures of packaged foods in supermarkets called 'Poo' and 'Spunk'. That kind of thing. It's like seeing myself as a little ex-pat.

I suspect in six months, once the shine has worn off, I'll start getting some useful intel.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:17 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Go'morron

Thanks.
I can relate to that, as an exiled lifer in a frozen wasteland myself. You'll not want to give Canada a go, as it's just about as Godforsaken ‘freeze the balls off a pawn-shop cold’ as Sweden! ... (But at least I'm not bitter!)

Welcome to BE,
Regards,
Chris

Last edited by Christian; Jul 3rd 2011 at 6:21 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 5:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vaxholm

I just wanted to let you know that we've recently added a Scandinavia forum and we have a growing group of members who are in Sweden, or moving there. So if you haven't checked it out yet you can find the forum here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=174

So dig in and say hi and get to know everyone.