Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Getting homesick

Getting homesick

Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Annaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Getting homesick

Hi all,

I've just joined this forum because, after living in America for nearly 20 years and other parts of the world for 15, I am getting homesick for the UK and the members of my family who live there. But it's not easy selling up and going back when the dollar is weak against the English pound and I am now nearly 70 so cannot find work. I've been wondering how many other ex pats find themselves stranded and alone so when I found this site I thought I'd find out.

Would love to chat with others in likewise situations
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting homesick

Hi Anna and welcome to BE

Home is always where the heart is, isn't it. So many expats were experiencing just those same feelings that BE set up a "Moving Back to the UK" forum.

Take a walk on over, introduce yourself and link up to like Brits like yourself. Always nice to know you aren't alone in your thoughts and feelings.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I know this won't help but bless you-you sound so sad!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Annaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of lightAnnaexbritpat is a glorious beacon of light

I really wish I could meet some British ex pats in America. Actually I have just found out there is a guy at the local chess club from England. As I play chess myself I look forward to meeting up with him. Apparently he and his wife farmed sheep in England.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've no words of wisdom, but welcome to BE!

Though if you're on FB, depending on where you are, there are a lot of expat groups as well as meetup.com
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:14 pm
England is "home"

Lineabove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Annaexbritpat
Hi all,

I've just joined this forum because, after living in America for nearly 20 years and other parts of the world for 15, I am getting homesick for the UK and the members of my family who live there. But it's not easy selling up and going back when the dollar is weak against the English pound and I am now nearly 70 so cannot find work. I've been wondering how many other ex pats find themselves stranded and alone so when I found this site I thought I'd find out.

Would love to chat with others in likewise situations

Hi Anna,

I an in a very similar situation as yourself.
Have lived in Canada most of my life and now looking at returning to England.
I am 59 and do not expect a job to come easy.

Have not set a date yet, but wish to "return" home next year.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:02 am
Just Joined

It's so difficult isn't it. Do you find that when you go back to UK you want to be somewhere else and when you're somewhere else you want to be back in UK?
http://britishexpats.com/http://brit...cons/icon5.gif
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish I could meet some British ex pats in America. Actually I have just found out there is a guy at the local chess club from England. As I play chess myself I look forward to meeting up with him. Apparently he and his wife farmed sheep in England.
There are loads of Brits in the US. Where in the US are you?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:33 am
Just Joined

South Carolina
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:14 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anna and welcome to the forum . Do pop,over to the USA section of the forum. You'll find loads of Brits based in the States and I'm sure some must be in your part of the country. No need to be lonely....plenty of folks out there.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anna and to BE.

Have you looked at MeetUp.com? I'm not sure what part of the States you're from, but certainly that website has many thriving ExPat communities all over the 50 that get together at least quarterly and that hold all sorts of interests - Chess included.

Perhaps there is one near you? Worth a try at least. Come over and see us in the USA forums, we're a nice bunch (mostly) and we've all been there too.

Keep well, CS
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Okay, thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 12:57 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

South Carolina
Hi Anna, welcome to BE!!

We've got quite a few members in SC (I used to live in NC myself) so I'm sure you may find someone in our USA forum that's in your neck of the woods.

We've also got quite a few folk who feel like you and want to move back but at the moment aren't in a position to do so, so check out our Moving back to the UK forum here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

You might also find some kindred spirits in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...01116&page=614
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I've been abroad for 20 years and am beginning to have problems with homesickness too. I did at the beginning, but thought it'd gone. I wonder if there's something about twenty years away.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. No words of advise to offer but just wanted to say hi from a fellow expat in SC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.