British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Welcome Inn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/)
-   -   escaping the british winter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/welcome-inn-145/escaping-british-winter-928919/)

julie.giloney Oct 29th 2019 6:51 am

escaping the british winter

Hello
My name is Julie and I am new to this forum, I currently live in the north east of England and I will shortly be retiring and I am interested in living abroad for the winter months to escape the cold and wet weather.
I would just like to get some tips on how to enjoy these months abroad as I have heard a few horror stories of being isolated and lonely when people arrive in resorts that have closed down for the winter.
I am really looking forward to being able to be as active abroad in the winter months as I am here (weather permitting) and meeting like minded people would be great.
Hopefully some of you may have some tips for me.
Thank you

GeniB Oct 29th 2019 10:58 am

Re: escaping the british winter

Hi Julie Sorry that no one is reading your post .Its usual to post a question on a particular countries thread.

If you can pinpoint a county or countries you would be interested in.. an post it on them.. you will likely get more interest.
Don't be put off by what you hear... There is always plenty to do if you look for it Good luck

julie.giloney Oct 29th 2019 11:10 am

Hello GeniB

Thanks I will do that :thumb:

julie

mikelincs Oct 30th 2019 2:14 pm

Welcome to BE.

We do ask all new members to have a quick read of the forum rules. https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ and should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

We do have plenty of forums for different countries where you can get answers to any queries you may have, please bare in mind that things might change on Brexit gets sorted, if it ever does.

scot47 Nov 3rd 2019 9:25 am

I read it but did not know how to respond. Maybe "Go and have a look !" would be an appropriate response.

dmu Nov 3rd 2019 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by julie.giloney (Post 12755599)
Hello
My name is Julie and I am new to this forum, I currently live in the north east of England and I will shortly be retiring and I am interested in living abroad for the winter months to escape the cold and wet weather.
I would just like to get some tips on how to enjoy these months abroad as I have heard a few horror stories of being isolated and lonely when people arrive in resorts that have closed down for the winter.
I am really looking forward to being able to be as active abroad in the winter months as I am here (weather permitting) and meeting like minded people would be great.
Thank you

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I see you've posted in the Spain forum where the Winter weather is probably better than France, on the whole.
Before visiting possible areas, I would research their average Winter rainfall. Here in the south of France (from the Atlantic to the Italy) we've had/are still having gales, storms, rain (flooding), some of which must have affected Spain.
Do you speak any European languages? Even for a 3-month stay it would be advisable to know the basics in order to communicate with the locals. If you're looking for like-minded people, the local Town Hall will give a list of Clubs and Associations which you could join.
HTH

Yorkey Nov 4th 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Julie

iam originally from west York’s and live in Queensland

Bipat Nov 4th 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by julie.giloney (Post 12755599)
Hello
Thank you

Goa -India is a popular area for tourists including many British. (South quieter than north). Retirees spend months there. However go now as air fares increase rapidly up to Christmas!! (Although this year rain has lasted longer than usual.) E-Visas available.
(Our home is further south, however usually have a few days, short stays there at varying times of the year.)

You will get more information on the India-Mike site about other tourists there.
https://www.indiamike.com/