Reload this Page >

escaping the british winter

escaping the british winter

Old Oct 29th 2019, 6:51 am
Just Joined

julie.giloney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default escaping the british winter

Hello
My name is Julie and I am new to this forum, I currently live in the north east of England and I will shortly be retiring and I am interested in living abroad for the winter months to escape the cold and wet weather.
I would just like to get some tips on how to enjoy these months abroad as I have heard a few horror stories of being isolated and lonely when people arrive in resorts that have closed down for the winter.
I am really looking forward to being able to be as active abroad in the winter months as I am here (weather permitting) and meeting like minded people would be great.
Hopefully some of you may have some tips for me.
Thank you

Old Oct 29th 2019, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: escaping the british winter

Hi Julie Sorry that no one is reading your post .Its usual to post a question on a particular countries thread.

If you can pinpoint a county or countries you would be interested in.. an post it on them.. you will likely get more interest.
Don't be put off by what you hear... There is always plenty to do if you look for it Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2019, 11:10 am
Just Joined

julie.giloney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello GeniB

Thanks I will do that

julie
Old Oct 30th 2019, 2:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

We do ask all new members to have a quick read of the forum rules. https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ and should you have any site related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

We do have plenty of forums for different countries where you can get answers to any queries you may have, please bare in mind that things might change on Brexit gets sorted, if it ever does.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I read it but did not know how to respond. Maybe "Go and have a look !" would be an appropriate response.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie.giloney
Hello
My name is Julie and I am new to this forum, I currently live in the north east of England and I will shortly be retiring and I am interested in living abroad for the winter months to escape the cold and wet weather.
I would just like to get some tips on how to enjoy these months abroad as I have heard a few horror stories of being isolated and lonely when people arrive in resorts that have closed down for the winter.
I am really looking forward to being able to be as active abroad in the winter months as I am here (weather permitting) and meeting like minded people would be great.
Thank you
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I see you've posted in the Spain forum where the Winter weather is probably better than France, on the whole.
Before visiting possible areas, I would research their average Winter rainfall. Here in the south of France (from the Atlantic to the Italy) we've had/are still having gales, storms, rain (flooding), some of which must have affected Spain.
Do you speak any European languages? Even for a 3-month stay it would be advisable to know the basics in order to communicate with the locals. If you're looking for like-minded people, the local Town Hall will give a list of Clubs and Associations which you could join.
HTH
Old Nov 4th 2019, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Yorkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Julie

iam originally from west York’s and live in Queensland

Old Nov 4th 2019, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie.giloney
Hello
Thank you
Goa -India is a popular area for tourists including many British. (South quieter than north). Retirees spend months there. However go now as air fares increase rapidly up to Christmas!! (Although this year rain has lasted longer than usual.) E-Visas available.
(Our home is further south, however usually have a few days, short stays there at varying times of the year.)

You will get more information on the India-Mike site about other tourists there.
https://www.indiamike.com/