Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

England to Southern California (kicking and screaming)

England to Southern California (kicking and screaming)

Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

chelseagirlsw6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default England to Southern California (kicking and screaming)

Hello
Let me introduce myself. I'm Sharon and I grew up in a tiny town in Surrey (Caterham) which nobody has ever heard of so I tell everyone I'm from south London. I was actually living in South Norwood before I came to America, so it's close.
It was not my choice to emigrate actually. My ex husband decided it was too expensive to live in England anymore and since my dad had lived in the USA since the early 70's he asked him to sponsor us. We arrived in California in August 1994 with two small children (2 and 7). I cried all the way here.
Life is different but I think I have a better lifestyle here than I could ever had hoped for in England, although California is getting more and more expensive. My kids have grown up 'yank' but still have a slight English accent, although relatives wouldn't say so.
Anyway, cut to the chase, I enjoy my life here. I'm now divorced and engaged to an America. In my heart I feel I don't belong in America, but if i go home, I won't belong there either as after 20 years everything has changed so much.
I've recently started blogging about my life and differences and came across this site on my research/travels around the web.
It's nice to be here.
Sharon
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England to Southern California (kicking and screaming)

Hi Sharon and welcome to BE
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelseagirlsw6
Hello
Let me introduce myself. I'm Sharon and I grew up in a tiny town in Surrey (Caterham) which nobody has ever heard of so I tell everyone I'm from south London. I was actually living in South Norwood before I came to America, so it's close.
It was not my choice to emigrate actually. My ex husband decided it was too expensive to live in England anymore and since my dad had lived in the USA since the early 70's he asked him to sponsor us. We arrived in California in August 1994 with two small children (2 and 7). I cried all the way here.
Life is different but I think I have a better lifestyle here than I could ever had hoped for in England, although California is getting more and more expensive. My kids have grown up 'yank' but still have a slight English accent, although relatives wouldn't say so.
Anyway, cut to the chase, I enjoy my life here. I'm now divorced and engaged to an America. In my heart I feel I don't belong in America, but if i go home, I won't belong there either as after 20 years everything has changed so much.
I've recently started blogging about my life and differences and came across this site on my research/travels around the web.
It's nice to be here.
Sharon
Welcome to BE Sharon.

Do come and join us in the US forums...you may also be interested in our Moving Back To The UK forums. Many people successfully move back home after decades of being an expat. I have lived in the US for 18 years and have no doubt at all that if I moved back to the UK it would like putting on an old comfy pair of slippers.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome
P