Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Coming to Australia on a reccy trip

Coming to Australia on a reccy trip

Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

HollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really niceHollyTree is just really nice
Default Coming to Australia on a reccy trip

Hello all, thanks for such a great site, I just found it today and have spent an hour or two trying to find my way round, it seems choc full of good advice and useful information. Friendly too.

I'm a professional woman in my 40s and find myself in the fortunate position where I can take a year off work, I have friends in Sydney (Australian) who I have visited a few times now and I love the place more with each visit. So I have decided to come out for 6 months or so to really get a feel for the place and see if it was just the rose-coloured specs that made me feel all warm and fuzzy or if it in fact is as gorgeous as I think it is. If so I will investigate the work/visa situation which I can see will probably not be straight forward but possibly easier if I'm out there rather than dealing with everything from here.

So the plan is that I fly out in late November and stay until May next year. I have a house here in the UK which I will just close up and have friends keep an eye on so I can move back in when I return without having to worry about tenants. By then I might be so smitten with Aus that I'll just want to put it on the market or let it out and fly straight back....

I can stay with friends in Sydney for a while but since my stay will be a bit longer I'm looking either at renting a flat or (much better) see if I can be a house sitter. There are potentially lots of advantages to this, not having to commit to a 6 month rental agreement, not having to kit the place out then having to find a new home for it when the lease expires, cost etc. I think I would make a very good house sitter too, I love animals, I don't smoke, quiet professional woman with Aussie friends to vouch for me etc.

I was wondering if someone might point me in the direction of a suitable forum to discuss my options.

Thanks - Monica
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:22 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming to Australia on a reccy trip

Originally Posted by HollyTree
Hello all, thanks for such a great site, I just found it today and have spent an hour or two trying to find my way round, it seems choc full of good advice and useful information. Friendly too.

I'm a professional woman in my 40s and find myself in the fortunate position where I can take a year off work, I have friends in Sydney (Australian) who I have visited a few times now and I love the place more with each visit. So I have decided to come out for 6 months or so to really get a feel for the place and see if it was just the rose-coloured specs that made me feel all warm and fuzzy or if it in fact is as gorgeous as I think it is. If so I will investigate the work/visa situation which I can see will probably not be straight forward but possibly easier if I'm out there rather than dealing with everything from here.

So the plan is that I fly out in late November and stay until May next year. I have a house here in the UK which I will just close up and have friends keep an eye on so I can move back in when I return without having to worry about tenants. By then I might be so smitten with Aus that I'll just want to put it on the market or let it out and fly straight back....

I can stay with friends in Sydney for a while but since my stay will be a bit longer I'm looking either at renting a flat or (much better) see if I can be a house sitter. There are potentially lots of advantages to this, not having to commit to a 6 month rental agreement, not having to kit the place out then having to find a new home for it when the lease expires, cost etc. I think I would make a very good house sitter too, I love animals, I don't smoke, quiet professional woman with Aussie friends to vouch for me etc.

I was wondering if someone might point me in the direction of a suitable forum to discuss my options.

Thanks - Monica
Welcome to the Forum Monica, We have a Pretty Good Australia Section feel free to ask any question you may have over there.

cresta57 , moneypenny20 , sonlymewalter , Centurion Are the Moderators and alistairboyle is the Concierge over there so should you have any issues give one of them a shout.

Considering your affairs in England you may find the Moving Back to the UK Section useful for some questions as well.

Pollyana , Sue iaink Are the Moderators there.

Good Luck and don't forget your Factor 50

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 16th 2010 at 5:31 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:29 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Monica

Welcome to BE.
I see Ka Ora has pointed you in the direction of the Australia forum, where I am sure someone will be able to offfer you soem good advice and tips.

For what it's worth, spending 6 months somewhere is a good way to see if it's the place for you.
I hope you have a fab time and find it to be your paradise.

Dread - x
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HollyTree

Thanks - Monica
Hello and welcome to the site.

Ka Ora has already provided you with the links you need to send you on your way to our Australia forums but should you need any further help please give me a shout.

I hope you enjoy your extended holiday in sunny Oz.