Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Back in the USA

Back in the USA

Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:08 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice
Smile Back in the USA

Hello Just dropping by to say hello. We arrived in Albany NY in September 2011 and I'm just about recovering from the whole relocation experience. We've moved from Gloucestershire UK. It's the second time over here for us. We lived in Mystic CT from 1999 to 2002, moved back to UK and now we find ourselves back in the NE. I have seen enough packing boxes to last me a lifetime. Albany seems a nice place to live, although we have yet to explore very far. We have a 9 yr old daughter, a very lazy mutt, I am a trailing spouse (ex teacher), and my husband is a scientist. Looking forward to hopefully meeting a few local brits and sharing our wealth of information we have gained over the year. Thanks to all the moderators etc... this site wasnt even here in 1999, it has made everything so much easier second time around. Regards Victoria
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back in the USA

Hi Where in Glos did you live? that's where I am originally from?
xx
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Victoria & welcome to BE. These forums are extremely useful for finding out alsorts of things you need to know about immigrating as well as for making some great friends. I was very relieved when I first found this site.

Ping-ponging does get a wee bit tiring. Mind you, some of our stuff is still in packing boxes & we've been in NZ for 5 years (this time) now .

Happy posting
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:55 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
Hi Where in Glos did you live? that's where I am originally from?
xx
We were living in The Forest of Dean for eight years. although I'm originally from Shropshire. The Forest was so beautiful although lots of wild boar now and it was near on impossible to let your dog off the lead. Mind you, its the same here although no boar, our dog no longer roams free on a walk, bit of a shame really, he's not too good on the lead.

Gloucester still has the reputation for being Grotty Gloucester, and Cheltenham is still very nice. Do you miss it?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Omgosh I am born and raised from the forest! from Coleford originally, where did you live?
that's awesome
I live the forest but I do not miss it, my dad and 2 brothers are there with their families even though I call it "home" I wouldn't live there again.
that's more of a personal thing though, I've sort of grown up there and moved on now.
just shows what a small world we really live in! x
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:38 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Back in the USA

Omgosh I am born and raised from the forest! from Coleford originally, where did you live?
that's awesome
I live the forest but I do not miss it, my dad and 2 brothers are there with their families even though I call it "home" I wouldn't live there again.
that's more of a personal thing though, I've sort of grown up there and moved on now.
just shows what a small world we really live in! x
It is a small world. We lived in Pillowell, I used to work at St. John's Primary School in Coleford. My dad still lives in Christchurch on Park Road. How wierd. I know what you mean about going back, it is where you grew up. I grew up in Shropshire and would never go back. You move on, that is life. But the forest is lovely, we still have a holiday home in Lower Lydbrook by the River Wye. Florida is fab. I would chose Florida over the Forest any day.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

crazy!! my grandparents are in lydney and my eldest he's 15 now used to go to
play school at st johns we are thinking about moving back to the uk
I don't really want to but everything here is $$$
our visa is good for another 3 years but we are not making enough money
to even pay our mortgage :/
as the kids are getting older we have college to think about and on one
wage it's going to be impossible.
I love it here and have the best friends ever but we have to think long term
to keep renewing our visa every 5 years at $$k a time is so stressful
I'll keep writing my list of pros and cons lol
Old Jan 10th 2012, 2:22 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

crazy!! my grandparents are in lydney and my eldest he's 15 now used to go to
play school at st johns we are thinking about moving back to the uk
I don't really want to but everything here is $$$
our visa is good for another 3 years but we are not making enough money
to even pay our mortgage :/
as the kids are getting older we have college to think about and on one
wage it's going to be impossible.
I love it here and have the best friends ever but we have to think long term
to keep renewing our visa every 5 years at $$k a time is so stressful
I'll keep writing my list of pros and cons lol
You know college in UK is expensive now too that tuition fees have kicked in. Probably on a comparable level to college in the state where you live. We're going to encourage our daughter to learn a skill, something that is always in demand then there should always be work. I guess you have to enjoy life as much as you can in the present. Life in the UK is expensive but life over here is much more expensive now too since we lived her last. Soon the bubble has to burst. Good luck in everything.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJW
Hello Just dropping by to say hello. We arrived in Albany NY in September 2011 and I'm just about recovering from the whole relocation experience. We've moved from Gloucestershire UK. It's the second time over here for us. We lived in Mystic CT from 1999 to 2002, moved back to UK and now we find ourselves back in the NE. I have seen enough packing boxes to last me a lifetime. Albany seems a nice place to live, although we have yet to explore very far. We have a 9 yr old daughter, a very lazy mutt, I am a trailing spouse (ex teacher), and my husband is a scientist. Looking forward to hopefully meeting a few local brits and sharing our wealth of information we have gained over the year. Thanks to all the moderators etc... this site wasnt even here in 1999, it has made everything so much easier second time around. Regards Victoria
Hello there. I see you are finding you're way around the forums...if there is anything you need help with...please give me a shout.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:14 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello there. I see you are finding you're way around the forums...if there is anything you need help with...please give me a shout.
Thank you I feel so welcome, and I love these smiley faces
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:42 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi VJW

Welcome to BE from me too.

Looks like you are already finding your way around which is great, so as you love them here are a few more smiles to add to my welcome :

Dread - x