Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Anglophile Swede living in Kenya

Anglophile Swede living in Kenya

Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of
Default Anglophile Swede living in Kenya

Hi everyone,

My name is George and I live in the Rift Valley in Kenya some 2 hours from Nairobi. I grew up in Stockholm, Sweden and after secondary school, worked in a hotel in London for a while and then went to Reading University to do a BA in History. At uni, I met my wife Greta, who is English would you believe it, and in 2000, we moved to Brussels. In 2005, I did a stint working in Slough and then we moved to Sweden running our own business. Took a bit of a hit due to the credit crunch and my wife got a job out here and so we moved with five kids, a dog and a cat. I love the place, the climate, the people and the lifestyle but I need to somehow get a job. Not for the money, we can manage, but to do something useful.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:13 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anglophile Swede living in Kenya

Originally Posted by George Holmer Kenya
Hi everyone,

My name is George and I live in the Rift Valley in Kenya some 2 hours from Nairobi. I grew up in Stockholm, Sweden and after secondary school, worked in a hotel in London for a while and then went to Reading University to do a BA in History. At uni, I met my wife Greta, who is English would you believe it, and in 2000, we moved to Brussels. In 2005, I did a stint working in Slough and then we moved to Sweden running our own business. Took a bit of a hit due to the credit crunch and my wife got a job out here and so we moved with five kids, a dog and a cat. I love the place, the climate, the people and the lifestyle but I need to somehow get a job. Not for the money, we can manage, but to do something useful.
Welcome to the Forum, Should you get any issues give one of the Forum Leaders a shout.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

northhazel is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this website and I am trying to put a question on but I can't find out how to do this - you have obviously found it - can you let me know please.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northhazel
I am new to this website and I am trying to put a question on but I can't find out how to do this - you have obviously found it - can you let me know please.
Hello. Rather than hijacking this thread why don't you open a new thread and introduce yourself?

If you click here and look down the left hand side of the page you will see 'New Thread' in a small blue box. Click on that and you will be able to type in your post and open a new thread.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

northhazel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jerseygirl - I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but couldn't see 'new thread' for looking. Have posted a new thread now.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Hi there and welcome to BE.

Moving from Sweden to Africa must have been quite a culture shock! Have your children found it difficult to adjust? Although I know children are very adaptable depending on their age.

I see you have already started to post in the Africa forum. If you need any help finding your way around the forums we have a team of concierges who will help you. You can find a list of their names at the bottom of this page.

Problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator. The mods for the Africa forum are Sue and Mitzyboy.

Please shout out if you need any help.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by northhazel
Thanks Jerseygirl - I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but couldn't see 'new thread' for looking. Have posted a new thread now.
No problem.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:05 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Hi and welcome to the site.

I see you have already started posting in our Africa forum and I hope you are finding your way around ok.

Don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have any questions.

Sue
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hi there and welcome to BE.

Moving from Sweden to Africa must have been quite a culture shock! Have your children found it difficult to adjust? Although I know children are very adaptable depending on their age.
The kids are fine, we live rather secluded on the grounds of the prep-school were my wife teaches and our three eldest are going to school, and as my kids have been brought up in English they are fine with the language although struggle a bit with spelling as they have been schooled in Sweden for the last four years. The climate here is great; as we are about 8500 feet above sea it is not too hot nor too cold and this Kenyan winter we are having now is like a warm Swedish late spring/early summer which is perfect.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:23 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi George

Just a message to say welcome to BE from me too.
Kenya sounds pretty idyllic - loved it when I went there.

Glad to hear you're finding your feet on the Africa forum.

Dread - x