British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is your Xmas tree real or fake? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/your-xmas-tree-real-fake-339687/)

Partystar Nov 28th 2005 3:37 pm

Re: Is your Xmas tree real or fake?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Spent a few holidays down there - loved those little rivers with the stepping stones as a kid :)

Awww me too. The little car museum was cool too, you know, the one where Brum lived.

Ray Nov 28th 2005 4:21 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Gloriously fake..on its 8th year

NC Penguin Nov 28th 2005 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Gloriously fake..on its 8th year

Is the tree inflatable? Looks too good to be eight years old. I guess the Missus really knows how to put things into storage.

Maybe you nicked it from the local shopping mall. :)

NC Penguin

ironporer Nov 28th 2005 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Real - I'm just a pagan at heart. Bring the evergreens indoors over winter and spring and fertility will return, so they say.

Actually, I'm just addicted to the smell and to some good associated memories.

This will be my/our first 'fake' year after a lifetime of real trees, most cut down fresh after an exausting (and freezing) trek thru the xmas tree farm. Found a $150 7foot Martha Stewart tree last year in the after xmas sale. We may miss the smell (bought some evergreen oil this weekend) but certainly not the mess...especially with a 2 yr old terrorist around the house.

Elsie The Maid Nov 28th 2005 7:05 pm

Hubby likes his fake tree with his "themed" decorations, but I like the real thing with my higgledy-piggledy collection from over the years. So we take it in turns each year. I string popcorn and cranberrys for my tree whilst I watch "It a wonderful Life". I refuse to go to that effort for a fake tree :p

This year it's MY turn. Yippee!

NC Penguin Nov 28th 2005 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Hubby likes his fake tree with his "themed" decorations, but I like the real thing with my higgledy-piggledy collection from over the years. So we take it in turns each year. I string popcorn and cranberrys for my tree whilst I watch "It a wonderful Life". I refuse to go to that effort for a fake tree :p

Don't the kids have any say about the type of tree for Christmas or do they have their own? :)

NC Penguin

Elsie The Maid Nov 28th 2005 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Don't the kids have any say about the type of tree for Christmas or do they have their own? :)

NC Penguin

They don't really care that much, though I think they like the real tree better! But we still let daddy have his way every other year - just to keep him happy!

Celtic_Angel Nov 28th 2005 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid

perfect!!! your tree sounds just like mine!! :D no real cranberries for me though....i have this sugared garland of what i thought was big cranberries..that turn out to be very small red apples...but it looks great though :D

my kids also have a fake ..mini tree...with all the tiny ornaments...it's so cute :D

Neathborn Nov 29th 2005 1:50 am

We have a very modest fake tree that we bought in Minnesota and which looks quite realistic. The kids just decorated it tonight, but haven't quite got the concept of spacing out the ornaments, so it's a bit lopsided :)

However, we do have a real holly tree in our back garden that's about two storeys high. Last year, just as we were about to cut down a few branches to use to decorate inside our house, the bl___ birds came along and within hours, all the berries were gone. Hopefully, we can beat them to it this year !!!

ladyofthelake Nov 29th 2005 12:15 pm

We've collected a fake tree from each country we've lived in. We have a small 3 foot tree we used in our tiny Hong kong apartment, we have a 6 foot tree we've had since 1992 from England (which is still going strong) and a 9 foot tree bought from Sam's Club 3 years ago.
The English one is the best as it has all the old decorations, like the fairy on top which is about 40 years old and was on my parents tree when I grew up. It has all the craft things that the children have made over the years too.