Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

amelieuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Hey there, thanks for getting in. We're a young couple from London (mid-twenties), and I'd be really grateful if you could assess, based on our situation, which visa should we opt for whilst trying to migrate to the U.S.

Basically, my partner is a Master's educated Lobbyist, working for an independent company with no branches abroad (and unfortunately - definitely not in the U.S). He's been doing it for two years. I've got an undergraduate degree and am working as a freelance journalist/editor, full time though. We're both desperate to start a new life in the U.S, but we don't seem to fit to any visa type from what I've seen.

I know it's an extremely general question - and I am aware of all the visa types out there - but precisely because of how narrow (to none-existing) our path is, I was wondering if you have any suggestions, based on this information, which visa type should we go for (is it worth trying to apply for jobs from London and hope for the best/to get a sponsor?)

Many thanks and kind regards

Amelie
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young (highly skilled?) couple looking to migrate to the U.S

Originally Posted by amelieuk
Hey there, thanks for getting in. We're a young couple from London (mid-twenties), and I'd be really grateful if you could assess, based on our situation, which visa should we opt for whilst trying to migrate to the U.S.

Basically, my partner is a Master's educated Lobbyist, working for an independent company with no branches abroad (and unfortunately - definitely not in the U.S). He's been doing it for two years. I've got an undergraduate degree and am working as a freelance journalist/editor, full time though. We're both desperate to start a new life in the U.S, but we don't seem to fit to any visa type from what I've seen.

I know it's an extremely general question - and I am aware of all the visa types out there - but precisely because of how narrow (to none-existing) our path is, I was wondering if you have any suggestions, based on this information, which visa type should we go for (is it worth trying to apply for jobs from London and hope for the best/to get a sponsor?)

Many thanks and kind regards

Amelie
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

is it worth trying to apply for jobs from London and hope for the best/to get a sponsor?
other than giving up, it's your only hope.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Poppy girl - cheers, that's brilliant, I will look into it.

Manc - thank you, I guess.

By the way, does it change things if we've both got Irish passports? Because we do, and we're currently undergoing the whole lottery green card program for diversity (I am not holding my breath, obviously, but still). And last time I've been to Ireland there was a lot of discussion about special programs for Irish people, but when I searched for it online nothing really materialised.

Thanks

Amelie
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy girl - cheers, that's brilliant, I will look into it.

Manc - thank you, I guess.

By the way, does it change things if we've both got Irish passports? Because we do, and we're currently undergoing the whole lottery green card program for diversity (I am not holding my breath, obviously, but still). And last time I've been to Ireland there was a lot of discussion about special programs for Irish people, but when I searched for it online nothing really materialised.

Thanks

Amelie
where were you born?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
where were you born?

We were both born in Ireland. I was born in Dublin and he was born in Belfast.

(Unfortunately we've both graduated two years ago and so cannot apply to the Irish scheme of recent graduates/ Irish students).
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:09 pm
@matthewb76

fingers crossed on the lottery then
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:30 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I notice you said "partner". Are you married to each other or just "together"? I think if you're not married then you both have to hope for visa lottery success... I'm sure someone can clarify though.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We were both born in Ireland.
You're both eligible to apply for the Diversity Visa... and you are also both able to apply based on cross-chargeability to a spouse. Ergo - you get to submit 4 applications for the DV. Only 1 needs to be successful to cover you both!

Ian
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:37 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're both eligible to apply for the Diversity Visa... and you are also both able to apply based on cross-chargeability to a spouse. Ergo - you get to submit 4 applications for the DV. Only 1 needs to be successful to cover you both!

Ian
Assuming they're married of course!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Assuming they're married of course!

Assuming they are not a same sex couple that is.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:43 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Rete
Assuming they are not a same sex couple that is.
unless amelie has become a boys name all of a sudden then I doubt it
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Ian - great stuff. I'll definitely opt for the 4 applications option next time I apply.

Thanks a lot.

And I'm afraid we're just a straight couple, husband and wife, nothing too interesting.

So...H-1B visa anyone? Heard anything about it?

and thanks again for all the help. If you're ever thinking of coming back to Britain I'd love to assist (but realistically, the chances are quite slim, huh?)

Amelie
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:53 pm
@matthewb76

but realistically, the chances are quite slim, huh?
you'd be surprised.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ian - great stuff. I'll definitely opt for the 4 applications option next time I apply.

Thanks a lot.

And I'm afraid we're just a straight couple, husband and wife, nothing too interesting.

So...H-1B visa anyone? Heard anything about it?

and thanks again for all the help. If you're ever thinking of coming back to Britain I'd love to assist (but realistically, the chances are quite slim, huh?)

Amelie
Sometimes it takes a move to another country to appreciate what a great country the UK is....seriously. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.