Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you still a knife and fork person ?

Wikiposts

Are you still a knife and fork person ?

Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you still a knife and fork person ?

Originally Posted by Rete
No, actually the restaurant pays for medical and dental (at least the bulk of it, she pays $25. per month). Also she gets 3 weeks vacation a year with pay for whatever that is worth ;-)

Thanks for reminding me of the pot-warming ... I knew it but forgot to write it in. Much appreciated.

So she must be working for one of those swanky Vegas megacomplexes -- nice benefits! Hope she bought the house before the CA refugees pushed the prices through the roof.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
No, actually the restaurant pays for medical and dental (at least the bulk of it, she pays $25. per month). Also she gets 3 weeks vacation a year with pay for whatever that is worth ;-)

Thanks for reminding me of the pot-warming ... I knew it but forgot to write it in. Much appreciated.
Rete, you've been around here a loooong time and I respect your opinion in most things, but trying to make off that American waitresses are blessed to have such wonderful jobs is pushing things a little. American barstaff, I could understand, but not waitresses. The vast majority are overworked, underpaid, struggling to make up a full time schedule, with no benefits or union representation. I'm currently embroiled in trying to find legal assistance for several waiteresses I know here in Los Angeles who have not been paid in over a month! I'm glad that your daughter has found waitressing such a rewarding and lucrative career, but for most, it just isn't the case.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
Rete, you've been around here a loooong time and I respect your opinion in most things, but trying to make off that American waitresses are blessed to have such wonderful jobs is pushing things a little. American barstaff, I could understand, but not waitresses. The vast majority are overworked, underpaid, struggling to make up a full time schedule, with no benefits or union representation. I'm currently embroiled in trying to find legal assistance for several waiteresses I know here in Los Angeles who have not been paid in over a month! I'm glad that your daughter has found waitressing such a rewarding and lucrative career, but for most, it just isn't the case.

Honey, I ain't saying all of them. But there are some that are unionized and even those of us that weren't made out well. My daughter works in LV at an upscale restaurant, my former son-in-law worked in one in MacLean, VA and yes, they were able to buy a condo with his earning, another friend of mine whose husband is a bellman at the Marriott in Manhattan owns their own home and travel extensively through Europe and visit family in England and Ireland annually. So, yes, many in the service industry do enjoy perks and yes, many do not. BTW both the former son-in-law and the friend who is the bellman were immigrants to the US. One from Russia and the other from Ireland.

I was fortunate myself to work as a waitress and later as a bartender in the late 70's and feed, housed and paid for my daugther's Catholic school tutition and went to college full time with my earnings.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
I can remember being in a posh resteraunt & the Memsahib only having a spoon for cutlery. She announced loudly.. WHERE'S MY FORK & KNIFE ????
Why, even in really 'posh' restaurants, do they provide only one set of cutlery? Just one knife for butter, starter and main course!!?

The first time this happened, I was gobsmacked: the waiter removed my 'silverware' from the starter plate (where they had been correctly positioned in the 5-o'clock position) and placed them on the table.

I didn't know what was going on. In time I realised it seems to be normal here...

And of course (to answer the original knife + fork question), I still eat the 'proper way'

Elvira
Old Jun 1st 2005, 6:59 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I've been here forever and a day, and I still use my knife and fork properly.

I wouldn't call the American way lazy. Sheesh, by the time they cut up their food, put down their knife, switch the fork to the other hand, take their bite, then switch the fork back to the other hand, only to start all over again.....I'd be positively worn out!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I've been here forever and a day, and I still use my knife and fork properly.
I find the blender useful ....
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:16 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I find the blender useful ....
well you would you can only eat pureed food through a straw.....
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I still use both the knife and fork method. My food would get cold if I had to keep replacing cutlery everytime I wanted to cut something.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:43 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by candy wy.
well you would you can only eat pureed food through a straw.....

I think he's talking about his margarita diet perhaps....
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:54 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's talking about his margarita diet perhaps....
the only margaritas ray gets are in his dreams..
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
the only margaritas ray gets are in his dreams..
I don't touch alcohol..... I have seen what it has done to some people here ....
Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:59 am
staying around

Originally Posted by Ray
I don't touch alcohol..... I have seen what it has done to some people here ....

which is why i replied in your dreams..........
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:10 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 20 years and still eat the European/rest of the civilized world way....
Why DO the Americans eat like that? I seem to remember something about no knives, just forks and spoons in the early days?
Anyone know...
Rob
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:15 am
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

I still use my knife and fork properly.
Me too. I can't be done with trying to cut something with just a fork. It bugs me when there is just a fork out for me to eat something like a baked potato or a spring roll. Try eating a spring roll with just a plastic fork from the Chinese takeaway.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:57 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Still use a knife and fork for eating. It's also very practical to eat an American burger with a knife and fork in restaurants because they are quite thick and I can't even bite into burgers of that kind of size so the only way to tackle such a burger is to eat them using both pieces of cutlery.

I sometimes discard the bun because it's just corn syrup and over-refined wheat.

I have also been told by my USC spouse that I eat my pizza slices the "wrong" way. He's shown me how to eat a slice of pizza with one's hands. I just can't do it (because I don't want to). I much prefer using a knife and fork.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.