Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you happy in the US?

Wikiposts

Are you happy in the US?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:09 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy in the US?

Originally Posted by kins
I'm sending mine at the end of the month. Weird feeling - I don't think I'll ever really feel like an American, but on the other hand I feel less and less British as time goes by.
I'd agree with you there - I doubt I'll really feel 'American' either but it will be nice all the same.

It will be good to be finally done writing cheques to USCIS of course, and knowing that there won't be some weird new change to immigration law that results in me being deported - they'll be stuck with me once I'm a citizen

Good luck with your application though - make sure to join in the 'N-400 timeline' thread that PoppyGirl started as well so we can see how you get on.

If you feel yourself getting all dewy eyed and nostalgic . . . but I still miss the banter.
Wow - looks like I'm good to be out of it! I do miss the 'team lunches' we had every time payday was a Friday, and believe it or not, when I was in Income Support in Belfast, doing the London claims I actually enjoyed it. Probably because I was a decision maker and actually felt like I was doing something worthwhile. The 25 days off, 11 bank holidays and the flexi time will certainly be missed though. Not so much the pay however!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'd agree with you there - I doubt I'll really feel 'American' either but it will be nice all the same.
I got USC about 2 1/2 yrs ago, took me almost 20 yrs married to a USC to get round to doing it, don't feel any different (bit like birthdays and getting older) but, i'm hoping that sometime in the future it will be helpful in getting a pension.

My youngest Son (17) born in the UK, but only lived there about 6 yrs on 'n' off, tells everyone he is British and never mentions the dual cit' bit
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:55 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I got USC about 2 1/2 yrs ago, took me almost 20 yrs married to a USC to get round to doing it, don't feel any different (bit like birthdays and getting older) but, i'm hoping that sometime in the future it will be helpful in getting a pension.

My youngest Son (17) born in the UK, but only lived there about 6 yrs on 'n' off, tells everyone he is British and never mentions the dual cit' bit
I think that's more in line with how I will be - I'd still identify myself as a Brit for all practical purposes, because I have been for 30 years. Perhaps when I've been an American for 30 years I'll shift the balance a bit
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's more in line with how I will be - I'd still identify myself as a Brit for all practical purposes, because I have been for 30 years. Perhaps when I've been an American for 30 years I'll shift the balance a bit
It's an individual thing I guess.

I have been reading a couple of threads on the MBTTUK forum this past few months and there seems to be a lot of older Brits going back to the UK. not all from the US, but many. I can't say for certain right now, but I think eventually I would like to go back, ideally do a split life thing, with half the time here and half there...need to start doing that lottery
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:22 am
I have a comma problem

It's an individual thing I guess.

I have been reading a couple of threads on the MBTTUK forum this past few months and there seems to be a lot of older Brits going back to the UK. not all from the US, but many. I can't say for certain right now, but I think eventually I would like to go back, ideally do a split life thing, with half the time here and half there...need to start doing that lottery
That certainly would be nice to be able to do that. We haven't had a chance to get back since 2007 though, and now my mum went and moved house so I won't be able to see our old place any more.

The more I think I'd like to move back, the more I realise I want to move back to something that isn't really there any more. It's actually more fun to create a little corner of Blighty here to go to when I get nostalgic.

Simultaneously on and off topic there - how do I do it?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:24 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

It's a gift!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:28 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by TracyTN
It's a gift!!
I do go on a bit - get it from my dad apparently. When my son was younger I could literally send him to sleep with my stories
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:30 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

I do go on a bit - get it from my dad apparently. When my son was younger I could literally send him to sleep with my stories
Well you amused me to no end if it helps.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:34 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Well you amused me to no end if it helps.
Well that is very nice of you to say so. Makes me wish I posted on here more regularly when I originally joined last year. I still don't know why I didn't.

Oh well, I'm here now.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That certainly would be nice to be able to do that. We haven't had a chance to get back since 2007 though, and now my mum went and moved house so I won't be able to see our old place any more.

The more I think I'd like to move back, the more I realise I want to move back to something that isn't really there any more. It's actually more fun to create a little corner of Blighty here to go to when I get nostalgic.

You can still google street your old place (isn't quite the same though huh?)

We haven't been back since 2004, but had my Sister here for Xmas I found out yesterday that my favorite nephew is moving to LA next month, so I might get to see him sometime

I get your point about wanting something that isn't there any more, I think we (mostly) all look back through rose colored spec's I only have 2 Sisters back there now, so it's not really even family that would pull me back. My better memories from home are from childhood or from the vacations I had there with hubby and kids. Can't re-live my childhood by going back and my kids will most likely live in the US forever.

It's not something I dwell on too much, I just think eventually we will have to make a choice and stick with it
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:52 am
I have a comma problem

You can still google street your old place (isn't quite the same though huh?)

You know what is weird - for some reason the last house I lived in doesn't have a street view. It did for a while, and then it and about 4 or 5 other houses from that street got blacked out!

I do google street my 1st house though, and go over my old neighbourhood, and it is nice to 'walk' to familiar places. Now, however, we have moved to a town that I can actually walk around in here, so I think I will start doing that instead

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Mar 26th 2010 at 6:52 am. Reason: forgot how to spell
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You know what is weird - for some reason the last house I lived in doesn't have a street view. It did for a while, and then it and about 4 or 5 other houses from that street got blacked out!

I do google street my 1st house though, and go over my old neighbourhood, and it is nice to 'walk' to familiar places. Now, however, we have moved to a town that I can actually walk around in here, so I think I will start doing that instead
I couldn't find most of mine either, oh well. It is nice that you can walk around the town now though, not many places are that convenient
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:28 am
I have a comma problem

I couldn't find most of mine either, oh well. It is nice that you can walk around the town now though, not many places are that convenient
The best thing to date was when my mate stopped by during his recent tour of the States, and we were able to walk from my place to get the train to head out on the razz for the night. Took me right back to getting the train into Belfast of an evening to get wrecked

I haven't taken too much of an advantage of the walking-friendly nature of the town thus far, mostly due to there being a foot or more of snow over everything for much of the winter, but now the sun is back I think I will definitely take my camera (and my new daughter) on a nice walk around the town.

Like reading, walking was something I did a lot of back home!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The best thing to date was when my mate stopped by during his recent tour of the States, and we were able to walk from my place to get the train to head out on the razz for the night. Took me right back to getting the train into Belfast of an evening to get wrecked

I haven't taken too much of an advantage of the walking-friendly nature of the town thus far, mostly due to there being a foot or more of snow over everything for much of the winter, but now the sun is back I think I will definitely take my camera (and my new daughter) on a nice walk around the town.

Like reading, walking was something I did a lot of back home!

We can get the metro into town (St Louis)from here, unfortunately, you have to drive to the Metro! my small town here in Mascoutah is walking conducive, but not really much of anything to see once you get off the main road, although there is quite a nice park I can walk too from here, only in the daylight hours though, at night the gangs take it over
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:44 am
I have a comma problem

We can get the metro into town (St Louis)from here, unfortunately, you have to drive to the Metro! my small town here in Mascoutah is walking conducive, but not really much of anything to see once you get off the main road, although there is quite a nice park I can walk too from here, only in the daylight hours though, at night the gangs take it over
We don't have anything to see as such, but it is nice to be less than a mile from the train that will eventually lead to Chicago, and within walking distance of a few shops. Other than that I always just liked to wander around on a nice evening, and we have enough sidewalks and pathways to make that possible. We do have the park district trails about 2 1/2 miles away but I prefer to take my bike there rather than walk.

Sorry to hear that the gangs take over your park at night though, that's a pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.