Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you happy in the US?

Are you happy in the US?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy in the US?

Originally Posted by mamasue
Private insurance isn't an option.... as a 13-year cancer survivor, insurance companies won't touch me... and if they did, it would be unaffordable!
I'm just counting the birthdays to 65 and Medicare!
BUT..... I love living in Georgia... property prices are affordable, and people are more friendly than the UK.
Might want to look into the IGDA and pretend to be a games developer, they don't vet membership and it's only $50 a year and then get in on the group buying plan as they'll cover pre-existing, not necessarily cheap though but you should be able to find cover.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard - when I'm in Australia, I miss the US and call it "home", when I'm here, I call Australia "home". Australia will always have my family, be the place I'm FROM, where people just get you etc. But my life is in the US now, and although it's been a relatively lonely couple of years, I feel I'm quite settled here and made some great friends now.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
It's hard - when I'm in Australia, I miss the US and call it "home", when I'm here, I call Australia "home". Australia will always have my family, be the place I'm FROM, where people just get you etc. But my life is in the US now, and although it's been a relatively lonely couple of years, I feel I'm quite settled here and made some great friends now.

Loneliness - that was the complaint I heard from immigrants in the US the most. The missing family ties and the missing social safety net and coherence.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Food in MA costs way the pluck more than back in blighty unless you go to places like Hay Market...you have much more fluctuation of cost depending on season and locality of crops than you do in the UK. Cost of food really does depend on where you end up, I could get a bakers dozen of corn for $1 up in Maine, but a half dozen would cost $3 in MA.
Oh clucking bell. Never mind, stuff from the pharmacy is definitely cheaper; and they sell ibuprofen and paracetamol in bulk as opposed to the pathetic quantities of it you get here. That means I should find it easy to top myself once I get pissed off with the price/quality of groceries, the extortionate house prices and having my nuts frozen off clearing the drive in the winter. Welcome to the American Dream.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Oh clucking bell. Never mind, stuff from the pharmacy is definitely cheaper; and they sell ibuprofen and paracetamol in bulk as opposed to the pathetic quantities of it you get here. That means I should find it easy to top myself once I get pissed off with the price/quality of groceries, the extortionate house prices and having my nuts frozen off clearing the drive in the winter. Welcome to the American Dream.
haha...indeed

though my mother sends me my ibuprofen for free if she's sending something arleady as she's an OAP, gets the horse pill doses in those hundred odd pack sizes for free...one thing though, definitely worth asking for generics, Claritin over here is well expensive, but you can get the generic in most bulk stores or even in Target for $5 for a hundred...cheeky sods
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:30 pm
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedgirl
....it seemed unethical to profit from something which is essentially life.
I couldn't agree more and this point is one of my concerns with living here in the US(going on 6 years). Hopefully Health Care Reform will move the US in the right direction.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
I couldn't agree more and this point is one of my concerns with living here in the US(going on 6 years). Hopefully Health Care Reform will move the US in the right direction.
Kind of, but it will still be run for profit.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:37 pm
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
I agree wholeheartedly.

Hubby LOVES it here and has no desire to ever return to the UK to live. Sure, there are things which nark him and which he finds we're ripped off on - but in general, he feels his quality of life here is much better than it was in the UK. He wishes his mom would emigrate here one day - but we both worry about how she'd find health insurance (one of the US' definite down sides - although we have good insurance, we know that isn't the norm).

It does depend on where you live in the US too. We're in the South which is pretty hospitable both weather wise and the people LOVE his accent - I swear he is treated like a celebrity sometimes! LOL. No shop keep or bartender ever forgets him, let me just say! But also the cost of living here is less than other parts of the country which I think helps too.
Beware though, that along with the lovely southern hospitality also comes conservativism and depending on your ideologies this can wear one down very quickly. I have been here for 6 years(Kentucky) and was very optimistic early on, but these days I am so fed up with the narrow minded views of conservatives. Especially with the raging Health Care Reform debate that is going on. As a result, me and the missus are seriously considering moving to a more liberal area in the US.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:44 pm
Expert ping ponger

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Kind of, but it will still be run for profit.
I agree - I was so hoping that a public option was part of the reform.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Beware though, that along with the lovely southern hospitality also comes conservativism and depending on your ideologies this can wear one down very quickly. I have been here for 6 years(Kentucky) and was very optimistic early on, but these days I am so fed up with the narrow minded views of conservatives. Especially with the raging Health Care Reform debate that is going on. As a result, me and the missus are seriously considering moving to a more liberal area in the US.
Pittsburgh is close by and Chicago.....kinda. Shouldn't be terribly far from KY but, beware the cold winters

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Mar 19th 2010 at 6:15 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:22 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - I was so hoping that a public option was part of the reform.
It's not what I hoped for, but if the House bill gets through, it's not as bad as it could be.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
It's not what I hoped for, but if the House bill gets through, it's not as bad as it could be.
But, how bad does a bill have to be that Democrats won't vote on it without getting special deals if this was a well intentioned bill with everything rosy, you'd think all the Democrats would vote for it?? Something's not right if Obama is this desperate twisting everyone's arm and interfering with a different branch of government
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:41 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
But, how bad does a bill have to be that Democrats won't vote on it without getting special deals if this was a well intentioned bill with everything rosy, you'd think all the Democrats would vote for it?? Something's not right if Obama is this desperate twisting everyone's arm and interfering with a different branch of government
Yes, there's something that doesn't smell quite right.

However, as it got down to the wire, I think that the Dems who adamantly stated that they would vote "no" would pretty much all vote "yes."

Despite strident arseholes like Boehner saying "[...] the American people are saying, ‘stop!’ and they’re screaming at the top of their lungs," I think that's bullshit.

I believe the majority of Americans want better health care, and they will punish Dems in the elections this year if they vote against it. Obama didn't need to be held to ransom on this one: he's just being a pussy...
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:41 pm
Expert ping ponger

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Yes, there's something that doesn't smell quite right.

However, as it got down to the wire, I think that the Dems who adamantly stated that they would vote "no" would pretty much all vote "yes."

Despite strident arseholes like Boehner saying "[...] the American people are saying, ‘stop!’ and they’re screaming at the top of their lungs," I think that's bullshit.

I believe the majority of Americans want better health care, and they will punish Dems in the elections this year if they vote against it. Obama didn't need to be held to ransom on this one: he's just being a pussy...
Aye I live in Kentucky home to another one of Boehner's ejit comrades - Mitch McConnell - who also spouts off garbage like that too.

Last edited by HighlandPenguin; Mar 19th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Luton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really nice

Lived in the states for quite awhile, never really liked it, but i am finally returning to my birth country in June. Sad thing is i have lots of family spread across England but i am not close with any of them so i will be alone over there too, thats ok i talked to my self alot(lol).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.