Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you happy in the US?

Wikiposts

Are you happy in the US?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:14 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are you happy in the US?

Originally Posted by jayde
It probably depends on your mindset and where you are coming from, what your expectations are.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Hubby LOVES it here and has no desire to ever return to the UK to live. Sure, there are things which nark him and which he finds we're ripped off on - but in general, he feels his quality of life here is much better than it was in the UK. He wishes his mom would emigrate here one day - but we both worry about how she'd find health insurance (one of the US' definite down sides - although we have good insurance, we know that isn't the norm).

It does depend on where you live in the US too. We're in the South which is pretty hospitable both weather wise and the people LOVE his accent - I swear he is treated like a celebrity sometimes! LOL. No shop keep or bartender ever forgets him, let me just say! But also the cost of living here is less than other parts of the country which I think helps too.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:15 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's what I used to think...but I found it wasn't that simple. Even after 14 years the UK is still my home. I miss the US when I'm in the UK but being back there is like wearing a pair of old comfy slippers.
This is exactly my experience too. Many people have written of this before, but the so-called "honeymoon period' of the first few years is easy to get through, you are enjoying new experiences etc. But that can wear off after ten or fifteen years, and then thoughts start to turn to returning home. We are fortunate in that regard; we have one adult child who is settled in the US, and the other who returned to the UK and now is settled there, so our options are open.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is exactly my experience too. Many people have written of this before, but the so-called "honeymoon period' of the first few years is easy to get through, you are enjoying new experiences etc. But that can wear off after ten or fifteen years, and then thoughts start to turn to returning home. We are fortunate in that regard; we have one adult child who is settled in the US, and the other who returned to the UK and now is settled there, so our options are open.
I found the opposite the first few years were the worst...after ten years it improved.

That's another dilemma...we have one child and she's living in Toronto...she will probably never go back to the UK to live.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the difference between the opinions of Brits in the US and Brits in Aus/NZ might be a difference in culture of the residing country. In the US people don't whinge like they do in the UK or Aus/NZ, and everybody seems to exult everything as "the best." Even though you know this is a load of baloney the habit of not whinging gets to you after a while, despite your native instincts to complain. I don't know NZ but Aus feels a lot like the UK, in that you say what you think and whinging is seen as almost a bonding experience. Not so here.

We have a higher standard of living here in the US than we did in the UK. My husband's salary is a lot higher and I don't need to work... naturally that is a good thing for me and a major change. The thing that got to me in the early days is the politics. We were living in a city where the people are very insulated and very jingoistic, and that is very hard day after day, when people are saying the most bigoted things to you, not even realising what they are saying. Now we live in the Bay Area (CA) and it's like I can breathe again, the area is very diverse and people mostly have some experience of life on which to base their opinions. You really have to find an area of the country that suits you, because America varies wildly.

My opinion is junk food is cheaper here; healthy food is cheaper in the UK. For instance tomatoes are awful quality and $3.50 a lb but I could go to a restaurant and get a huge plate of pasta for about $8.

The main problem for long term is the cost of healthcare. I don't think it's a country you really want to retire in, unless you have perfect health and expect to retain it. When you're young and earning it's ok, but I don't see a future here because of the healthcare issue.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
I think the difference between the opinions of Brits in the US and Brits in Aus/NZ might be a difference in culture of the residing country. In the US people don't whinge like they do in the UK or Aus/NZ, and everybody seems to exult everything as "the best." Even though you know this is a load of baloney the habit of not whinging gets to you after a while, despite your native instincts to complain. I don't know NZ but Aus feels a lot like the UK, in that you say what you think and whinging is seen as almost a bonding experience. Not so here.

We have a higher standard of living here in the US than we did in the UK. My husband's salary is a lot higher and I don't need to work... naturally that is a good thing for me and a major change. The thing that got to me in the early days is the politics. We were living in a city where the people are very insulated and very jingoistic, and that is very hard day after day, when people are saying the most bigoted things to you, not even realising what they are saying. Now we live in the Bay Area (CA) and it's like I can breathe again, the area is very diverse and people mostly have some experience of life on which to base their opinions. You really have to find an area of the country that suits you, because America varies wildly.

My opinion is junk food is cheaper here; healthy food is cheaper in the UK. For instance tomatoes are awful quality and $3.50 a lb but I could go to a restaurant and get a huge plate of pasta for about $8.

The main problem for long term is the cost of healthcare. I don't think it's a country you really want to retire in, unless you have perfect health and expect to retain it. When you're young and earning it's ok, but I don't see a future here because of the healthcare issue.
I enjoy whinging here, just to wind up the natives. However, I work at a college so being a contrarian is respected, whereas in some settings in the US I imagine there is more pressure to conform.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Hi guys,
I have a greencard and loved living in the US I am in Germany right now. Unfortunately, my partner has no visa for the US. That is why we are applying for a residency permit for NZ. I have been reading a lot in forums about NZ and OZ and have to say that there is a lot of negativity which I have not found in US forums. Now, that worries me. Are immigrants happier in the US than in NZ/OZ? Or I am to dump to find the "2 years here and still it is crap-" threads here.
Ann
You don't have the option of moving to the US with your partner so moving here is not an issue. The US does not recognize same sex marriages and/or non-married couples for purposes of immigration. As a US PR (if you are still one that is), the wait to bring a spouse to the US would be several long years. Since you are living in Germany and not a resident of the US any longer you might well have abandoned your PR status.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:50 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedgirl

The food in California (don't know about other states) is dire. Full of sugar, salt, and not much taste.
Good thing we don't use much sugar and salt in food in the UK.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:00 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't have the option of moving to the US with your partner so moving here is not an issue. The US does not recognize same sex marriages and/or non-married couples for purposes of immigration. As a US PR (if you are still one that is), the wait to bring a spouse to the US would be several long years. Since you are living in Germany and not a resident of the US any longer you might well have abandoned your PR status.
I reckon that's all true, but I thought they were going to NZ?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
My opinion is junk food is cheaper here; healthy food is cheaper in the UK. For instance tomatoes are awful quality and $3.50 a lb
Dang. They are $1.98 per lb in Hannaford and Whole Foods in MA. Pretty good quality from what I remember. In the UK the essentials range of tomatoes usually comes in pretty cheap at £1.78 per kg (2.2 lb) but these are pretty inedible. You have to shell out to get the better ones; the ones I usually get are £4.98 a KG.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Mar 17th 2010 at 4:52 am.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:55 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Dang. They are $1.98 per lb in Hannaford and Whole Foods in MA. Pretty good quality from what I remember. In the UK the essentials range of tomatoes usually comes in pretty cheap at £1.78 per kg (2.2 lb) but these are pretty inedible. You have to shell out to get the better ones; the ones I usually get are £4.98 a KG.
I'm in Western MA and the price of vegetables is a rip off at the supermarkets. $3.99 for a pound of the cheapest tomatoes yesterday!

There are a few greengrocer-type shops that are cheaper but their stuff is usually less fresh.

Sprouts cost a fortune.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:57 am
Just Joined

howcouldyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to post new thread?

how to post new thread? can't find the answer in FAQ.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to post new thread?

Originally Posted by howcouldyou
how to post new thread? can't find the answer in FAQ.
Look for the 'New Thread' button in the top left corner of each forum.
Or, click here for USA forum:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/newth...newthread&f=57
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I reckon that's all true, but I thought they were going to NZ?

They are applying for OZ and/or NZ but as he said they are scared now of going to either of those places because so many expats hate it there so he was wondering do expats fill the same way about the US.

Why ask such a question if you aren't considering moving to the US?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:05 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm in Western MA and the price of vegetables is a rip off at the supermarkets. $3.99 for a pound of the cheapest tomatoes yesterday!

There are a few greengrocer-type shops that are cheaper but their stuff is usually less fresh.

Sprouts cost a fortune.
Tomatoes are over-the-top right now because most all of the Florida tomato crop was ruined by the recent freeze.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch .That's a whole dollar more than Roche bros (which seems to be the only MA supermarket with actual online shopping)

I wonder how much they are at the 'Ghetto' Basket in Fitchburg. Have to ask the inlaws.

Aha! - HT Mallory

Florida Tomato crop declines by 70% due to freezing weather conditions

Florida, the nation's largest tomato producer state, has posted a huge decline in its tomato crop because of the freezing winter weather. The cold weather began in January and wiped out the winter crop.

The lesser production also made the prices of tomato very high in many parts of the country.

According to the data released by Florida Tomato Growers Exchange, the Freezing conditions in early January killed about 70 percent of the state's winter crop. The losses in the tomato crop pushed up the prices in various parts of the nation. Also the dampened demand pushed the tomato buyers to turn to alternative sources, including Mexico.

According to Department of Agriculture figures, weekly U. S. retail prices for fresh tomatoes were reported $1.64 per pound, increasing by 22% while comparing to the same period a year earlier. The state said that the loss forFlorida tomato growers it estimated as much as $700 million for this year.

It's a national crisis. Burger King is running out of those tomato slices

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf...s_fast-fo.html

Sprouts cost a fortune.
Are they regarded as some kind of exotic delicacy over there like the humble leek is?

Last edited by HumphreyC; Mar 17th 2010 at 5:17 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.