Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are you ever amazed by the number of immigrants you meet in the US?

Wikiposts

Are you ever amazed by the number of immigrants you meet in the US?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you ever amazed by the number of immigrants you meet in the US?

I've met virtually no adult immigrants here in Maine.

But in my small town alone there are lots of adopted kids from Guatemala, Korea, Nigeria, and other Latin American countries.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
It's so hard to move here, and several times a day I see threads on here shattering another person's dream after starting a thread along the lines of "I want to move to the US, tell me how!" (and rightfully so... no point skirting around the subject).

My manager is Indian. I work in an office setting with Chinese guys, two Russians, a Vietnamese, a few fellow Brits, etc. I overheard the guy in the cube next to me re-arranging his naturalization ceremony date just a couple of days ago.

Just amazes me sometimes. Some are older when things were just easier. One Brit I work with came over on an L1 visa years ago. He said back then, all you had to do was not commit a crime and generally keep your nose clean for 3-years, and you were AUTOMATICALLY converted to a greencard holder. He's since become a USC.

But I still meet many around my age, and I have to wonder how the hell they managed it! And how so many more keep managing it!
Doesn't amaze me ..... This country was built by imigrants
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I've met virtually no adult immigrants here in Maine.

But in my small town alone there are lots of adopted kids from Guatemala, Korea, Nigeria, and other Latin American countries.
Go to the north counties, loads of dodgy canadians and mexicans bussed in to pick spuds and blueberries...

Oh, and Lewiston/Auburn area has a huge Etheopian population
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Most immigrants I come across on visits to Northwest Arkansas are Mexican or from the Marshall Islands. Even Belfast seems to have a much more diverse population (and it's not very diverse by UK standards). So while I probably saw more immigrants, they weren't a particularly mixed bunch. It's a bigger country, so there are going to be more immigrants. They seemed to come from fewer places though.

I think I remember reading somewhere that London is the most diverse place in the world; more languages are spoken there than anywhere else. More than 300 different languages are spoken among the city's schoolchildren every day. I can well believe it.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
Most immigrants I come across on visits to Northwest Arkansas are Mexican or from the Marshall Islands.
What takes you to Northwest Arkansas? I have many relatives in that area.

You are among a lot of people of native American descent there; there's a lot of agricultural work but not much else.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What takes you to Northwest Arkansas? I have many relatives in that area.

You are among a lot of people of native American descent there; there's a lot of agricultural work but not much else.
Just visiting my fiancée. I'm planning on moving there next year. She currently lives in Springdale, but we're hoping to move to nearby Fayetteville. There seems to be a bit more going on there than in Springdale, and it's a bit more like my idea of a town, so I think I'll feel more at home there. It has a nice college town vibe.

I quite like the area as a whole though. There seem to be plenty of jobs around and there is some beautiful scenery. People do tend to look at me rather blankly when I tell them I'm going to Arkansas though!

Last edited by Marty J; Sep 5th 2008 at 9:59 am.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:25 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere you go here.
Americans. :curse:

Is there no end to them?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Just visiting my fiancée. I'm planning on moving there next year. She currently lives in Springdale, but we're hoping to move to nearby Fayetteville. There seems to be a bit more going on there than in Springdale, and it's a bit more like my idea of a town, so I think I'll feel more at home there. It has a nice college town vibe.

I quite like the area as a whole though. There seem to be plenty of jobs around and there is some beautiful scenery. People do tend to look at me rather blankly when I tell them I'm going to Arkansas though!
Fayetteville is definitely a step up from Springdale! You'll need to learn how to do an Arkansas pig call to live in Razorback country.

Your fiancée lives in a very beautiful part of the country. My "folks" live down in Russellville and environs.

The "snow" in my user name comes from a band called Snow Patrol. You may have heard of them.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

With currently approximately 38 million foreign born legal immigrants that are living in the US, the chance of meeting a foreigner is about 1 in 8. If you add in the approximately 12 milllion undocumented aliens in the US, your chance of meeting a foreigner is about 1 in 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra..._United_States
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:42 am
Just Joined

wombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nicewombat27 is just really nice

I don't really notice it as we've come from the Middle East and you get an even bigger mix of immigrants there, with masses of 'ex-pats' coming from India, Phillipines, Nepal, etc. In UAE I believe there are more immigrants than locals, and doesn't Texas now have a majority of non-white residents?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:00 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
It's so hard to move here, and several times a day I see threads on here shattering another person's dream after starting a thread along the lines of "I want to move to the US, tell me how!" (and rightfully so... no point skirting around the subject).

My manager is Indian. I work in an office setting with Chinese guys, two Russians, a Vietnamese, a few fellow Brits, etc. I overheard the guy in the cube next to me re-arranging his naturalization ceremony date just a couple of days ago.

Just amazes me sometimes. Some are older when things were just easier. One Brit I work with came over on an L1 visa years ago. He said back then, all you had to do was not commit a crime and generally keep your nose clean for 3-years, and you were AUTOMATICALLY converted to a greencard holder. He's since become a USC.

But I still meet many around my age, and I have to wonder how the hell they managed it! And how so many more keep managing it!
Hi:

When I give public talks on immigration, I like to ask a question "How many people here are either foreign born or have one parent who was foreign born?" and then I raise my own hand. I've never had less than 40% of any particular audience raise their hand. In my own nuclear family, I am the only one out of four -- but if we include grandparents, it goes up to 4 out of 4.

BTW, there was never an automatic adjustment from L-1 to LPR. But is was pretty easy. We know a couple who met while pursuing their PhD's at UCLA in the 60's. When they graduated, they received a letter from the former INS congratulating them on completion of their studies, notifying them of their obligation to leave within 60 days, and inviting them to apply for green cards [This was back in the day when the old Third Preference did not require a labor certificate or job offer].

Another story is about an immigration attorney who is now in retirement. In 1967, he had just completed some training at Great Lakes Naval Station and married a young woman from the Philippines. He called up Detroit INS, explained he was about to ship out to Vietnam and what did he have to do to get status for his wife? The officer on the telephone took extensive information from him and then asked that he and his wife show up the next day with photos of the wife and $15.00. When they arrived, the forms had already been filled out and they had the old I-151 green card in hand an hour later. When the INS officer was informed that wife would be living with her in-laws in San Francisco while her husband was overseas, the INS officer filled out an N-400 and instructed her to take them to San Francisco INS along with her husband's orders to obtain citizenship. 90 days later she was sworn in as a citizen.

The husband later became an attorney and he figured that immigration law would be easy money! When he told this story at a conference of immigration lawyers [I was on a joint panel with him], the audience was ROFL for three minutes.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:48 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Where did you live, and when?

My old part of London has lots of Poles, Turks, Brazilians, Somalians and (longer established) Italians and Irish. Before that, it was the Scottish ghetto (John Stuart Mill was brought up in the railway workers' housing).
On the Wirral, near Liverpool, moved here 3 years ago.

We were starting to get some Russian immigrants but I only know that because my friend worked as a Russian translator for the Social services.

There was a mix of nationalities but you had to look. Here, in my township, it is much more diverse.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Fayetteville is definitely a step up from Springdale! You'll need to learn how to do an Arkansas pig call to live in Razorback country.
I already have a few Razorback t-shirts, so I'm getting there!

Your fiancée lives in a very beautiful part of the country. My "folks" live down in Russellville and environs.
I don't think we got down to Russellville, but I'm sure we will at some point. She likes taking me to "historic" places, which in the US seems to be anyplace older than 30 years...lol

Though, I absolutely loved going to Eureka Springs. We went to the St. Patrick's day parade there this year and had a blast. It's a weird little place, with bluegrass bands, gay pride parades, UFO conventions, art galleries, lots of ghosts tours, and a giant statue of Jesus. It doesn't really get much more diverse than that!

The "snow" in my user name comes from a band called Snow Patrol. You may have heard of them.
I have indeed! I'm from Bangor where quite a few of the members of the band are from too. They played a big concert in the park here last year. There's also another guy comes from here called Iain Archer, who co-writes some of their songs with them. His mother was my first ever school teacher.

Last edited by Marty J; Sep 6th 2008 at 5:48 am.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:25 am
Lapine Member

There's also another guy comes from here called Iain Archer, who co-writes some of their songs with them. His mother was my first ever school teacher.
I know of Iain and have seen him perform with his band The Amazing Pilots.

But I personally know Mr L and the rest of SP (including, and I *adore*, Mark). If you see any of them, mention me (Amy). They love Austin, and they may ask you why you aren't moving here instead of Arkansas.

PPS you will live very near Tulsa where they have played tiny historic Cain's Ballroom -- wow what a gig and a completely different crowd!

Last edited by snowbunny; Sep 6th 2008 at 7:28 am.