Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

Wikiposts

A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:32 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

Originally Posted by robin1234
I guess I'm lucky with my job .. work is when I have unlimited time to look at websites & browse around. Home, I'm too busy to fire up the computer and open up a browser!!
I tend to be busy at home too, with the baby, son's footy team and the band. Usually it's after 10 when everyone else is in bed and I'm by myself I have the most time to sit by the computer!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

mikeco1 will become famous soon enoughmikeco1 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=SultanOfSwing;8853037]I love this - Northern Ireland has now come to be considered as a 'safe' part of the UK!!

Of course, news reports and 'Police 6' throughout the 80s notwithstanding, in my 26 years spent there, I was never mugged, stabbed, shot at or blown up so I think in many ways you are right.

I'm biased though because I would give my right buttock to be able to bring my wife and kids back home so they can experience life in the UK.

-------

Then pack up and do it while you can!

In my experience, I don't dwell on what I would like anymore, if I want to do summat I just do it.

I lived in Yorkshire and where I lived if you were out on your own you tempted fate and usually got mugged, so I told my missus to pack up, sold the house, and then she asked where we were going and I told her, we're going to God's land, we're going to the forty shades of green, and a smile appeared on her rosie cheeks and we hugged each other... Hold on I'm getting carried away here.

Anyway, we found that the safest place to be was in Belfast where the people take you on face value and my kids said, hang on your not leaving us behind, so they sold up and moved over as well, including grandchildren.

To me this is the best country in the world, no joke.

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:50 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeco1
Then pack up and do it while you can!
Would it were that easy. My wife is American, so it's not quite a case of pack up 'n go. I'm only now just trying to work up the courage to tell her that I want to go back.

Wouldn't necessarily be NI though, since the job I want to apply for in the UK is air traffic control. While I can select Aldergrove Tower, I may be placed anywhere (Shanwick center in Scotland wouldn't be bad ). Good to know I should avoid Yorkshire!

I always loved Northern Ireland though, always felt we were lucky to be Brits, but have a bit more space to enjoy it than our English bretheren. I'd still give London (or the SE) a go if I had the chance though.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

mikeco1 will become famous soon enoughmikeco1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I love this - Northern Ireland has now come to be considered as a 'safe' part of the UK!!

Of course, news reports and 'Police 6' throughout the 80s notwithstanding, in my 26 years spent there, I was never mugged, stabbed, shot at or blown up so I think in many ways you are right.

Had a quick blast over your website (I'm in work . . .) looks good at first glance, I'll spend more time on it at home if I have to call off footie practice because of the rain.
So if your in work, who's looking after the planes while your on the computer?

Mike
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:12 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mikeco1
So if your in work, who's looking after the planes while your on the computer?

Mike
I'm not in ATC out here. You have to be a citizen and under 31 per the FAA. I became a citizen 4 weeks after I turned 31

In the UK they don't post the age restriction because it was ruled unlawful but it used to be 36. I'm just stuck in a crappy office job going through the motions until who knows when!

Before I left NI I was a Civil Servant. ATC is a relatively new career consideration for me, though I was still in my late 20s when I started researching it out here.