Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

mikeco1 will become famous soon enoughmikeco1 will become famous soon enough
Default A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

Well my friends, I've retired here in Northern Ireland from my native Yorkshire and at long last my autobiography is complete. it took a long time to finish, but I'm truly delighted that the many who have read it have written to me stating that they truly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. This makes me a happy person as it means that I have done my work well.

Anyway, you know my email add, so keep me informed of what you lot are up to as I enjoy getting your letters.

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Yorkshire lad turned Irish

Originally Posted by mikeco1
Well my friends, I've retired here in Northern Ireland from my native Yorkshire and at long last my autobiography is complete. it took a long time to finish, but I'm truly delighted that the many who have read it have written to me stating that they truly enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. This makes me a happy person as it means that I have done my work well.

Anyway, you know my email add, so keep me informed of what you lot are up to as I enjoy getting your letters.

Mike
I'm reading your short story "One Tear is Not Enough." It seems to be written in a rather strange argot. I'm guessing you wrote it in English, then had it translated by computer into another language, then had it translated back into English. Did I guess right?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm reading your short story "One Tear is Not Enough." It seems to be written in a rather strange argot. I'm guessing you wrote it in English, then had it translated by computer into another language, then had it translated back into English. Did I guess right?
Happy days! I hope you found it interesting anyway. Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy days! I hope you found it interesting anyway. Mike
Your website is visually rich and raises interesting design issues.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
Your website is visually rich and raises interesting design issues.
Now I'm not sure whether you are taking the mick out of Mike or your stating my website is too simple?

I've come across too many complicated sites. On my site, what you see is what you get.

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Mike
Where in Co. Antrim are you? I'm a Carrickfergus man myself, born in Belfast. I'd kill to be able return to Blighty now
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Where in Co. Antrim are you? I'm a Carrickfergus man myself, born in Belfast. I'd kill to be able return to Blighty now
Well as long as you promise not to come and punch me on the nose, I live Glengormley area, just ten minutes from you.

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

OOPS! Misread your post, so you are in USA, ah well, my nose looks safe enough for now.

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Glengormley ................ it's a small world ...... I lived in Carnmoney for a while and had settled in the little village of Straid before I came here to the USA!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Now I'm not sure whether you are taking the mick out of Mike or your stating my website is too simple?

I've come across too many complicated sites. On my site, what you see is what you get.

Mike
Me? Take the Mick?
I wouldn't say that your website was simple. There's a lot to look at in there.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Well as long as you promise not to come and punch me on the nose, I live Glengormley area, just ten minutes from you.

Mike
I have no reason to punch you on the nose, even if I was able to come back home to live!

Used to hang around Glengormley/Carnmoney a lot when I was in school, had a bunch of friends who lived 'round there, and we always went bowling or to the cinema in Glengormley on the nights we weren't out pissing it up . . .

I miss it all
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Glengormley ................ it's a small world ...... I lived in Carnmoney for a while and had settled in the little village of Straid before I came here to the USA!
my daughter lives in carnmoney. Now that we know each other you can visit my website and let me know what you think.

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

I have no reason to punch you on the nose, even if I was able to come back home to live!

Used to hang around Glengormley/Carnmoney a lot when I was in school, had a bunch of friends who lived 'round there, and we always went bowling or to the cinema in Glengormley on the nights we weren't out pissing it up . . .

I miss it all
Poor lad, I still go to the pictures here and my granddkids go bowling, and I have the occasional pint in the pub.

I'm safer over here than in Yorkshire, too many muggins there

Mike
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

Poor lad, I still go to the pictures here and my granddkids go bowling, and I have the occasional pint in the pub.

I'm safer over here than in Yorkshire, too many muggins there

Mike
I love this - Northern Ireland has now come to be considered as a 'safe' part of the UK!!

Of course, news reports and 'Police 6' throughout the 80s notwithstanding, in my 26 years spent there, I was never mugged, stabbed, shot at or blown up so I think in many ways you are right.

I'm biased though because I would give my right buttock to be able to bring my wife and kids back home so they can experience life in the UK. In my nostalgic mind, I think it is better than the burnt out, overworked existence we are scraping together out here, my school wasn't full of the wee ballixes my son has to put up with, and the thought of my baby girl growing up with a NI accent makes me happy!

Had a quick blast over your website (I'm in work . . .) looks good at first glance, I'll spend more time on it at home if I have to call off footie practice because of the rain.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

.........the burnt out, overworked existence we are scraping together out here, ..............

Had a quick blast over your website (I'm in work . . .) looks good at first glance, I'll spend more time on it at home if I have to call off footie practice because of the rain.
I guess I'm lucky with my job .. work is when I have unlimited time to look at websites & browse around. Home, I'm too busy to fire up the computer and open up a browser!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.