Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another TV and video question

Yet another TV and video question

Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:20 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Yet another TV and video question

I know this has been asked a million times and I have always eagerly read replies, only to be disappointed that it turned into a technoblurb that evaporated into cyberspace. Can I ask a simple question in the hope I will get a simple answer? I do not need a technological dissection of the workings of my tv!

If I take my TV (small ordinary uncomplicated portable) and video player to the US and use a transformer to make them work on US electricity, can I continue to watch my UK videos on them. I would not require to watch any TV stations...this is just to watch videos from England on.

Thank you! Drive thru.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:26 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I don't think you will be able to... I have british Tapes that I currently convert weekly... What is the best way and can you get VCR's here (where) that will play them..

Sorry for jumping on your wagon RG!

Think I might need one of these thingies!

Calling Radio Shack!

Last edited by BrigieDarling; Oct 27th 2003 at 2:32 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

mytwojakes is an unknown quantity at this point

The simple answer, I would imagine, is YES.

But thank God for multi-region dvd players
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yet another TV and video question

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I know this has been asked a million times and I have always eagerly read replies, only to be disappointed that it turned into a technoblurb that evaporated into cyberspace. Can I ask a simple question in the hope I will get a simple answer? I do not need a technological dissection of the workings of my tv!

If I take my TV (small ordinary uncomplicated portable) and video player to the US and use a transformer to make them work on US electricity, can I continue to watch my UK videos on them. I would not require to watch any TV stations...this is just to watch videos from England on.

Thank you! Drive thru.
Yes you can use the tv and video to playback, but of course you won't be able to watch US tv on it. As a means of playing your UK video's thats a good idea, don't forget to get an a transformer.

Rob
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:44 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Just got a Multi Region VCR at Tweeters! $399, but gonna be worth it when I have my sisters taping everything I can think of!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:05 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Splendid! Thank you! That's all I needed to know. I just want to be able to watch my enormous collection of videos if I wanted to. We have a DVD player in the US and one day I hope to have a recordable one so I can put all my vids on DVD, but until then it's great to know I can still watch them.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:13 am
Just Joined

garyf is an unknown quantity at this point

yes you will be able to do this . Brookstone which is a store in most malls sells a 120 to 240v transformer. i would advise that you bring over some 6 socket extension leads and a couple of 3 pin to 2 pin contenental travel plugs as it seems impossible to get these in the states. also scart is a lead that you will not be able to get in the states.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl ...... If I take my TV (small ordinary uncomplicated portable) and video player to the US and use a transformer to make them work on US electricity, ......
There's an excellent range of transformers at DVD Overseas - you should get a "voltage stablizer" as they don't cost much more than a basic transformer, but give much "cleaner" output that will be better for a TV, VCR and hifi. Make sure to allow plenty of spare power, more than just the bare minimum of the power consumptions added together. Personally I'd get one that is about twice the rated power of your TV and VCR.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:16 am
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by Pulaski
There's an excellent range of transformers at DVD Overseas - you should get a "voltage stablizer" as they don't cost much more than a basic transformer, but give much "cleaner" output that will be better for a TV, VCR and hifi. Make sure to allow plenty of spare power, more than just the bare minimum of the power consumptions added together. Personally I'd get one that is about twice the rated power of your TV and VCR.
Steady Pulaski...you're starting to lose me
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:18 am
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by garyf
yes you will be able to do this . Brookstone which is a store in most malls sells a 120 to 240v transformer. i would advise that you bring over some 6 socket extension leads and a couple of 3 pin to 2 pin contenental travel plugs as it seems impossible to get these in the states. also scart is a lead that you will not be able to get in the states.
Thanx Gary...it really helps that you've given me the actual name of a store, because that was my next question.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:25 am
DBH
Forum Regular

DBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the rough

I know this has been asked a million times and I have always eagerly read replies, only to be disappointed that it turned into a technoblurb that evaporated into cyberspace. Can I ask a simple question in the hope I will get a simple answer? I do not need a technological dissection of the workings of my tv!...

Thank you! Drive thru.
Hi! It's me... your stalker.

Ya know... you had me fooled. I thought that you knew all about that technoblurb stuff.

I'll try Brookstone and Radio Shack to see what they have for you.

BTW: Stop using my saying!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Steady Pulaski...you're starting to lose me
Look on the back of each appliance that you are intending to run off your transformer ("voltage stablizer") and you should see a number just above or below the voltage, that will be either marked with a "W" or "Watts". Add up all the watts values, then double it and that is how big a transformer you need.

Don't waste your time with Radioshack their range of products is likely to be limited, whereas DVD Overseas has products from a few hundred watts up to several kilowatts. I bought a superb voltage stablizer from DVD Overseas, and at a very good price. It runs my hifi and you couldn't tell that it isn't running off a British 220 volt supply.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 29th 2003 at 1:19 am.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:15 am
DBH
Forum Regular

DBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the rough

Don't waste your time with Radioshack their range of products is likely to be limited, whereas DVD Overseas has a producta from a few hundred watts up to several kilowatts.
You're right Pulaski! I guess it's best to stay away from Radio Shack. I'm looking at a web site right now that explains how to figure out the number of watts needed. I had no idea what a transformer was until I saw some pictures. My father would probably be ashamed that I just admitted that... seeing that he's an electrician and all.

Thanks for your help... and everyone else's! I'll buy one for Rockgurl right away!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:30 am
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by DBH
Hi! It's me... your stalker.

Ya know... you had me fooled. I thought that you knew all about that technoblurb stuff.

I'll try Brookstone and Radio Shack to see what they have for you.

BTW: Stop using my saying!
Uh oh...'er indoors is threatening me with the rolling pin again. Quit stalking me, woman!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:40 am
Rock Goddess

Look on the back of each appliance that you are intending to run off your transformer ("voltage stablizer") and you should see a number just above or below the voltage, that will be either marked with a "W" or "Watts". Add up all the watts values, then double it and that is how big a transformer you need.

Don't waste your time with Radioshack their range of products is likely to be limited, whereas DVD Overseas has products from a few hundred watts up to several kilowatts. I bought a superb voltage stablizer from DVD Overseas, and at a very good price. It runs my hifi and you couldn't tell that it isn't running off a British 220 volt supply.
Thank you, Pulaski, you absolute star! Things are looking up...I actually understood that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.