Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another healthcare thread.

Yet another healthcare thread.

Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another healthcare thread.

Originally Posted by Ray
From my cold dead hands
got dodgy circulation issues? you'll want to have that looked at...
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Universal Healthcare for all is coming.

middle income are uninsured..........

Ford and GM can't compete over here with the health costs, but can compete in Europe............

baby boomers are retiring..........

I've said for a long time that it will take the bankruptcy of a company like GM for this country to realize just how ****ed up it is to tie healthcare to employment. If and until that kind of shock happens, I don't see much changing.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:35 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
Universal Healthcare for all is coming.

middle income are uninsured..........

Ford and GM can't compete over here with the health costs, but can compete in Europe............

baby boomers are retiring..........

As far as I know, Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota and Honda all have plants in the US and don't have the GM/Ford problems with benefits (probably due to not being union).
From experience guys that have worked for GM or Ford for years are way way out of touch, they are one step down from being Government workers.GM especially have a lot of people who do **** all, that's why they can easily cut tens of thousands of 'chair warmer' jobs.

I think you have more chance of gay marriage or marijuana being legalized or the legal drinking age being lowered than universal healthcare in this country.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
As far as I know, Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota and Honda all have plants in the US and don't have the GM/Ford problems with benefits (probably due to not being union).
They are making money. The problem from an employers point of view with providing healthcare benefits is that they have to pay for them regardless of whether they are making a profit. Plus GM has all these legacy healthcare costs for retirees that they probably can only ditch through bankruptcy. So although healthcare costs aren't the cause of GM's woes, they have a really negative impact on their current situation.

I think you have more chance of gay marriage or marijuana being legalized or the legal drinking age being lowered than universal healthcare in this country.
I think you're right.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:57 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a question I think of regarding universal healthcare.
Let's say that universal healthcare gets introduced. What happens to those that owe tens of if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, how does that get sorted out? Do they still owe all that money for what was heavily overpriced to begin with? This question is very close to home.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a question I think of regarding universal healthcare.
Let's say that universal healthcare gets introduced. What happens to those that owe tens of if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, how does that get sorted out? Do they still owe all that money for what was heavily overpriced to begin with? This question is very close to home.
insurance companies have way to much money invested to ever let there be a national health service, so it's all a mute point
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

millymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of lightmillymoose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
so it's all a mute point
speak up!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
insurance companies have way to much money invested to ever let there be a national health service, so it's all a mute point
Nail. Head.